Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > DOMINO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Read Reviews 4 DOMINO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Read Reviews 4 DOMINO
    Posted: October 13 2005 at 1:31pm

See which critics aren't falling for DOMINO @ Rotten Tomatoes

Buy the Domino Movie Poster

And here's the LINK to join our DISCUSSION of DOMINO...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
maxzilla2005 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote maxzilla2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:44am

Domino Harvey, yes, a name many of us became familiar with just before the release of this film. The real Domino just died in June of this year due to an overdose of drugs at the age of thirty-five. This is a film about her years as a bounty hunter, her troubles, her mistakes, and her successes.

Domino Harvey (Keira Knightley), the daughter of Lawrence Harvey, quit her career as a model, and entered a job seminar for bounty hunting. This was the kind of rush she was looking for. When we first meet her she is sitting at a table with criminal psychologist Taryn Miles (Lucy Lu), being questioned about the recent events in her life as a bounty hunter. She had joined up with a team, which included the tough as nails Ed Moseby (Mickey Rourke) and the quiet, yet obsessive Choc (Edgar Ramirez).

After working together on many cases, they have become a family, Ed being the new father figure in her life, and Choco who she sees as a brother (though Choco has fallen in love with her and it has driven him mad). As time passes, they are recognized as L.A.’s most successful and well-known bounty hunters. Mark Heiss (Christopher Walken) gets in touch with the team and offers them a reality TV show, called “The Bounty Squad”, and they anxiously accept.

With an interesting turn of events, the bounty hunters find themselves tracing very dangerous fugitives for bail bondsman Claremont Williams III (Delroy Lindo). He is currently dealing with a financial crisis concerning his extended family, which includes his girlfriend, Lateesha (Mo’Nique), their daughter and granddaughter, and Lateesha’s twin cousins Lashandra (Macy Gray) and Lashindra (Shondrella Avery). Claremont begins an unstoppable plan to tear himself from this economic ruin. As his plans begin to fail, Domino and her team weave way out of a complex FBI investigation. Confusing? Yes, I thought so too.

I really hated the look of this film, which has an ugly an green tint to it, making things appear darker and like everything is dying. I can understand why many filmmakers would use such a look (I personally don’t like it) but it does give the idea that men are monsters, rotting away from the outside. During most of the film, Domino narrates, and as she introduces people there are subtitles flying all over the screen, reminding me of a TV show pilot.

The camera is constantly moving and it doesn’t stay focused on anything for more than five seconds. If this film had a few long speeches, there would be so many different angles happening you would see some that you wouldn’t even know existed. Sometimes there are even points when you watch an entire sequence of events and then you actually see the events rewind and then play back and there is something very important that changes. This really reminded me of Flightplan, how they would trick you into thinking the plot was going in one direction and then it’s not. At many times it seems like the film is showing one plot and the voice-over is describing another. The plot does not move in a straight line and we have no idea where it is going.

There is some tongue-in cheek humor in the film and it has one hilarious scene involving Jerry Springer and a discussion of the fact that there are no specific names for many mixed races, so they invent “Blacktino” (African Amercian & Latin American) and “Chinegro” (Chinese American & African American).

I thought everything else in the film was fairly decent, and I really thought it was a treat to see monstrous Mickey Rourke and weird, yet funny, Chrisopher Walken in one movie.

Rated R for strong violence, pervasive language, sexual content/nudity, and drug use.
Running Time 130 minutes

Max J. Einhorn
Press and Journal Film Critic
http://www.maximummovies.net/
 Post Reply Post Reply