Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > HOSTEL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Read REVIEWS for HOSTEL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Read REVIEWS for HOSTEL
    Posted: January 06 2006 at 12:18pm
Surprisingly, early reviews of HOSTEL @ Rotten Tomatoes are about 3-to-1 positive...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
maxzilla2005 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote maxzilla2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:48am

Excutive producer Quentin Tarantino and director Eli Roth have created a film so horrible, so vile and unbelievable, you are already believe I’m giving this a good review, but I’m not. When I say it is so horrible, so vile and unbelievable, I am not explaining some of the film’s content, I’m speaking for the entire film. Tarintino said he got the idea from a website advertising something, and was so disturbed by the idea, he decided to make a film about it. Now I know why “supposedly” paramedics were called to the theater, because this film is just simply too ridiculous. Hostel really proves to be Hostile.

In the very first scene of the movie, we see a large man, the camera not showing his face, walking around and whistling, tossing blood, blood, tissue and teeth into a drain. He then picks up some horrible instruments and cleans them of blood and other things. Already we know, whoever this person is, we’re not going to like him.

Three young men, Paxton (Jay Hernandez), Oli (Eythor Gudjonsson), and Josh (Derek Richardson), have backpacked across Europe in search of merely getting stoned and finding women to sleep with. They meet a druggatic who informs them about a Slovakian city where the women are gorgeous, and easy. Excited to go, they get on a train and meet a very strange Dutch businessman (Jan Vlasak) who likes to eat salad with his fingers, but after Josh thinks he’s hitting on him, Josh yells at him and scares the man away. When they arrive in the city, they eagerly check into the Hostel, and meet gorgeous, half nude, women in the spa. That night, they party a little to hard, and the next day Oli is missing.

The following night, after leaving many notes for Oli at the Hostel, they go out and party again. Josh meets the Dutch businessman at a bar that evening and apologizes to him about the way he reacted. The partying continues, but Josh decides to head back to the Hostel before Paxton. The front desk leads him to a private room on the first floor because he is not feeling well. In the following scene, we see through the eyes of Josh who can only wee through a very small hole and we then realize his feet and hands are handcuffed to a bloody metal chair. The sack over his head is lifted and we see a familiar face under in a surgeon’s costume with a drill in hand. What reason does he have, or is it just recreation?

In the promotional ads for this film they said they “supposedly” had to call paramedics to theater because of all the gore and brutal torture in this film. Trust me, this is nothing we haven’t see before, this no worse than Lionsgate’s other film Saw. In fact, there actually prove to be two films in this picture, an American Pie film, with more nudity, but with less crude humor and the second half is like Saw.

The blood in this film is very heavy, but the gore is barely enough to make you queasy. There are few scenes with horrible slicing, but the worst is probably the one stomach churning eye gouging scene. The characters really prove to be somethng out of an American Pie film or some sort of National Lampoon’s film. Paxton is the sex craver , Josh is the wiser guy who seems to make good decisions, and Oli is the brainiac. Unfortunatly unlike some of those films, before we see any actual character development , people are already dead and the film has turned into something else. There are a few scenes where somethng a little unexpected, not scary, but actually humorous ruins the movie. Black comedy is all right in spoofs and ripoffs, but in “a trying to be” horror flick, it ruins the entire mood of the scene and thus strips the film of any true horror.

The concept of the film is a little disturbing, but I usually enjoy films by Quentin Tarantino, so I think if he was the director of this film he may of helped to keep the tension and make this failure into something truly scary, otherwise Hostel ceases to entertain.

Rated R for brutal scenes of torture and violence, stong sexual content, language and drug use. Running time 95 grueling minutes.

Max J. Einhorn
Press and Journal Film Critic
http://www.maximummovies.net/
El Rotten View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote El Rotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:09pm
Yes, it's really based on a true story ! Time: 21st century. Place: Guantanamo bay, Cuba (might be somewhere between N.Y. and Ural, Russia): http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures /2003/07/18/1bell.jpg
El Rotten View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote El Rotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:28am

Hey guys! Watch rather this Turkish "Hostel" (based on a true story as well): 

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/movies/article.adp...  

Best regards from Bratislava ! ;-)

gondo View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote gondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:27am
f**kink tarantino and the other f**ker an their movie !!!! for ever
i am from slovakia from bratislava an that movie is one big bool sh*t, there is'n any f**king picture from slovakia in the movie, any stupid slovak word !!!
i hate they for this
Victor Quero View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Victor Quero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:11am

I agree with Gondo. This movie is the typical product made by ignorant assholes which think they are cool just because they are Americans and that they can laugh about other peoples and countries even though they don't know a sh*t about them. I'm really tired about stupid jokes about Europe. And it makes me angry to realize that still we can find in american movies such stupid conceptions about people from Eastern Europe (Slovakia in this case). People from Eastern Europe, and I'm talking concretely about Slavs, are wonderful; I know it for sure, because I have many Slavic friends and my wife is Russian. Slovakia is a beautiful country which hasn't anything to do with that Tarantino's sh*t.

Gondo, pozdrav zo Spanielska. Nech žije Slovensko!

Post Reply Post Reply