Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2013 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RED 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RED 2
    Posted: July 21 2013 at 7:33pm

MEMBER-STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION

Ah, RED. What a surprise hit that was! It managed to have an interesting style, make good use of its actors, and be pretty funny. But despite its star power, it was still considered a "surprise hit." So then, it should be no "surprise" that there is now a sequel: RED 2. But in the end, was a sequel really necessary?

Bruce Willis has had more misses than hits lately. Just this year, he's already had two strikes: The severely disappointing A Good Day to Die Hard and the really hard-headed G.I. Joe Retaliation. And RED 2, (according to quite a few reviews) seems to qualify as his "third strike."  Other cast members also have some explaining to do. Anthony Hopkins And Helen Mirren can do very good work, yet they still wind up doing bad projects like this. Catherine Zeta-Jones And John Malkovich seem to barely try in a movie like this. And let us not forget the director. The director of the first RED went to do R.I.P.D. instead,* which turned out to be a bad move (and a bad movie!). For this sequel, we get the director of the beloved cult hit Galaxy Quest as a replacement -- but reviews indicate that the genius of that film is not present here.

What do you guys think? Does RED 2 deserve some spray-painted Razzie gold?

*Curiously, R.I.P.D. also features Mary-Louise Parker...

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 9:16pm
It seems critics gave this a C- approval rating and C Neutral Metascore. Those are poor to below average reviews. I say this deserves no more than 1 nomination. Because Bruce Willis is starring in two other films that are far enough ahead in the race for the Bottom 40 Films of 2013, this should, at most, get a nomination alongside A Good Day to Die Hard and GI Joe: Retaliation for Bruce Willis for Worst Actor. And even that's a stretch. I'm not even enthusiastic about Red 2 even getting a nomination to begin with.

What I want to know is: Does anyone think Red 2 even stands a chance of getting multiple nods, let alone sweeping the nominations?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 6:48am
How so? There have been nominations like that before.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Because Bruce Willis is starring in two other films that are far enough ahead in the race for the Bottom 40 Films of 2013, this should, at most, get a nomination alongside A Good Day to Die Hard and GI Joe: Retaliation for Bruce Willis for Worst Actor. And even that's a stretch.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 9:22am
Don't forget about Catherine Zeta-Jones. Some critics (and our own SchumacherH8er) said that she was also the worst part of BROKEN CITY.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 4:35pm
Here's my recommendations for nominations: 

Worst Picture: Should be seriously considered for this category. 

Worst Supporting Actress: Catherine Zeta-Jones was definitely coasting while this sequel was being made. All she did was display herself in front of the camera. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel: As a Worst Picture nominee this sequel is also worthy of being nominated for this category. 

Worst Director: Dean Parisot deserves to get the Razzie nod. Just like Michael Bay he mainly just slapped together a bunch of action scenes full of explosions, and focused very little, if any, on story or characters. 

Worst Screenplay: Jon Hoeber & Erich Hoeber. They too should be held responsible for making a movie with little story or characters, and an overdose of action. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 11:13am
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Supp. Actor for Byung-hun Lee (also for G.I. JOE PART 2).
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property.

Oh, and maybe:
-Worst Supp. Actress for Catherine Zeta-Jones (also for
BROKEN CITY but not for SIDE EFFECTS).
-Worst Director.
-Worst Picture.

But not:
-Worst Supp. Actor for John Malkovich (also for
WARM BODIES) nor Anthony Hopkins.
-Worst Supp. Actress for Helen Mirren.
-Worst Couple for Bruce Willis and Mary-Louise Parker.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 7:38pm
On this episode, I compare this to the 1st installment (skip to 02:15):

Post Reply Post Reply