Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices > DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE MORGANS?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Remind Us Again: WHERE Is the FUNNY Part?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remind Us Again: WHERE Is the FUNNY Part?
    Posted: December 15 2009 at 9:29am

IN a YEAR CRAMMED with CRUMMY COMEDIES, DID YOU HEAR ABOUT the MORGANS MAY BE the PERFECT "LAST ONE OUT the GATE"...

PROMOs for THIS LOOK LIKE EVERYONE INVOLVED WAS MORE CONCERNED with THEIR PAY CHEX CLEARING the BANK THAN with ANYTHING THEY WERE DOING on the SET.

THE STORY IS YET ANOTHER ONE of THOSE PREPOSTEROUS/ONLY-in-the-MOVIES SCENARIOS (COUPLE-on-the-OUTS FORCED to JOINTLY SIGN-UP for a WITNESS RELOCATION PROGRAM) THAT HOLLYWOOD HACKS LOVE to DREAM UP.

THE TWO "ROMANTIC LEADS" LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE ABOUT as MUCH "CHEMISTRY" as OIL and WATER.

AND THERE's NOT EVEN a SINGLE GOOD-SIZED CHUCKLE ANYWHERE in the FILM's ENTIRE AD CAMPAIGN.

IF YOU'RE ONE of THOSE PERVERSE PEOPLE WHO GO to COMEDIES NOT to LAUGH, THIS MAY BE for YOU...

AS for the REST of US, WE'RE GLAD 2009 IS ALMOST OVER. WHADDA YEAR for LOUSY MOVIES IT's BEEN...and WHADDA JOB IT's GONNA BE NARROWING IT DOWN to JUST FIVE NOMINEES in EACH RAZZIE® CATEGORY!

If audiences are even half as bored watching this as the two stars looked while making it, MORGANS could the "sleeper" of the year!! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 10:09am

Do I sense counter-programming? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Counter to what?!? Other than IT'S COMPLICATED (which will likely crush this film come next week) almost every comedy in current release sux on some level. MORGANS looks to me like One More Nail in Hollywood's "Romantic Comedy Coffin." And if you mean counter to AVATAR, if Cameron's latest manages to deliver even half of what industry experts expect it to, it will suck the life out of everything else in the marketplace this weekend...  

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 1:12pm

Hmm, a married couple has to enter the witness protection program and have to go from the big city into county life. Wait a second, Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley already made that movie! In that case, can this be added to the Worst Rip-off/Remake thread?!? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I assume you're referring to FOR RICHER OR POORER, a 1997 flop which was actually about a married couple who flee from IRS harassment by trying to "blend in" with an Amish community. Technically, though similar to THE MORGANS, that film isn't quite close enough to make this an obvious rip-off of that.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 3:51am

These guys picked the wrong time to release this film 'cause it's gonna lose out at the box office to Avatar.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 8:20am
I think it's fairly well timed, actually, if they had indeed planned to release it... Hugh Grant hasn't been a draw in years, and SJP has only been coasting. So it probably didn't cost a lot to make.
Also, the solo positive review on RT right now calls it a made-for-cable movie.
The thing about this kind of monstrosity is that there IS an audience of desperate, lonely women who will still go and see this. It's release is the fault of the audience, and while I doubt the size of this particular audience is going to make up for the overall cost, it's apparently big enough for them to take this stupid gamble.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 5:30am

Well, the studios that make movies have to release them eventually. Too bad for some of them, they are released opposite mega wannabe blockbusters like "Avatar," in the wake of which they are left for dead.

Funny thing about "Avatar": Everyone is asking if it will make "Titantic" money. From what I have read, "Avatar" cost $300 million to make and another $200 million to market. That means it has to make more money than "Dark Knight" just to break even! 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Do I sense counter-programming? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Counter to what?!? Other than IT'S COMPLICATED (which will likely crush this film come next week) almost every comedy in current release sux on some level. MORGANS looks to me like One More Nail in Hollywood's "Romantic Comedy Coffin." And if you mean counter to AVATAR, if Cameron's latest manages to deliver even half of what industry experts expect it to, it will suck the life out of everything else in the marketplace this weekend...  

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 7:15pm

To be perfectly honest, Sarah Jessica Parker's chemistry with costars in other films (Failure to Launch, anyone?) has produced similar results. I haven't seen this film yet, but it fairly screams out for a "Worst Screen Couple" nomination. 

By the way, with such a year for bad comedies, it might be time to break out our "Worst Excuse for a Comedy" category. A "Worst Chick-Flick" category is still not a bad idea either, though.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 11:14am
True enough, she doesn't mix well with a lot of people in
Rom-Coms.
-Iron helps us play-
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 8:54pm

I hope you have bigger fish to fry than Sarah Jessica Parker's role in this one...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:57am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I hope you have bigger fish to fry than Sarah Jessica Parker's role in this one...
We do: Megan Fox, Sandra Bullock, Kate Hudson/Anne Hathaway, and Beyonce.
newskycars View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote newskycars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 4:44am
Overall, I found it Very Funny, and  not one joke in the entire film failed for me. If you want to laugh, watch this movie. The acting wasn't wonderful, but the script was pretty good. Go and get it .No one knows his way around romantic comedies better than Hugh Grant, who tends to drift through their formulaic paces with light charm, glancing wit, and affable self-deprecation. But  his pinched facial expressions become an inadvertent commentary on the movie he’s making, as if he plainly realizes that his one-liners are tanking. There are countless moments throughout the film when writer-director Marc Lawrence pauses for a laugh line, but the jokes hang there for an eternity while Grant winces apologetically, like he’s just shattered a dish. And Lawrence’s script—an unwieldy cross between remarriage comedy, broad fish-out-of-water farce, and mild thriller—keeps deepening his embarrassment as the film plods along.

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 2:19pm
Well, one man's Razzie contender is another man's treasure I guess. Other than the horse-faced SPJ getting and for Worst Actress, the movie was otherwise under the Razzie radar.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 6:48pm
Thanks to Sarah Jessica Parker (just watch episode 1402, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs), DYHAtM? got #9 on my Bottom 40 Films of '009.
KYUU BAN
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 10:33pm
Well, GTAHater767, every time you mention your infamous Bottom 40 Lists, I'm tempted to ask you what the rest of the list is like.  

So, what was on the rest of your list for 2009?  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 11:37pm
'009
#40: 2012
#39: Know1ng
#38: Fame [remake]
#37: Saw VI
#36: Fast & Furious
#35: Amelia
#34: The Final Destination
#33: Halloween II [remake]
#32: Dance Flick
#31: Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
#30: Dragonball: Evolution
#29: Spread
#28: G-Force
#27: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
#26: My Life in Ruins
#25: Friday the 13th [remake]
#24: Year One
#23: F. U.: Fired Up
#22: I Hate Valentine's Day
#21: The Stepfather [remake]
#20: The Ugly Truth
#19: The Unborn [remake]
#18: Whiteout
#17: Transylmania
#16: Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
#15: Hannah Montana: The Movie
#14: Imagine That
#13: Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience
#12: Jennifer's Body
#11: The Twilight Saga: New Moon
#10: Bride Wars
#9: Did You Hear About the Morgans?
#8: Obsessed
#7: The Pink Panther 2
#6: Miss March
#5: G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
#4: All About Steve
#3: Land of the Lost
#2: Old Dogs
#1: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 9:35am
Ah good, as always, a Top 10 with all the movies that belong there. And I sure can't disagree with #1!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>