Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: September 22 2011 at 8:26am
"2001" and "Star Wars" weren't using CGI (it wasn't invented yet). "Ghostbusters" was, and CGI was still in its baby stage at the time.  

Originally posted by Vits

3)I don't dislike them because they look bad compared withmodern movies.I dislike them because they look bad compared withmovies made before,like "2001" and STAR WARS.
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 9:08am
I know that.But regardless of the methods,rating the FX is about how it looks on-screen.When it comes to movies released this year*,I think the FX in MOON,which were done "old school",were as good as SKYLINE,SOURCE CODE,SUCKER PUNCH,SUPER 8,THOR and TRANSFORMERS 3.

*In Chile.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 11:28am
Again, my point was that CGI was new in 1984, and that DOES play a major factor in why it might not look good. How is the movie suppose to look great using a new technology for the first time? Method only plays a factor NOW because CGI has been perfected since 1984.

Look at "A Sound Of Thunder", that's CGI ... in 2005! It looks like crap and has no excuse to look that way considering CGI has been the leading form of sfx for years now. So "GhostBusters" I can forgive because it was testing new waters, "ASOT" I can't because it could have done much better than that (and the fact everything else about the movie sucked as well).
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:59pm
To correct you, I think CGI started in 1982 with Tron.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:31am
And even then, it wasn't THAT impressive to look at!
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:55am
For people at the time, I'm sure it was! Smile    

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

And even then, it wasn't THAT impressive to look at!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 4:52pm
Oh yes, in 1982, those effects were mind blowing. However, the story wasn't. And look what happened 30 years later, people don't care for the movie because of how dated the effects are. I bet in 30 years, "Avatar" will also be laughed at for its effects being dated and the story be so paper thin.  
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

For people at the time, I'm sure it was! Smile    
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 4:38pm
I just saw YELLOW SUBMARINE,but won't review it.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing this.While I like The Beatles's music just as much as everyone,there are songs I don't like.And mainly,I'm against psychodelic cinema.Among the many reasons,one is that the filmmakers are clearly afraid of connecting with the audience so they don't even try,but that's not the case here.Yes,it's a bunch of weird images,but they still want you to be invested in the story.

So what is the problem with this movie?Most of the jokes fall flat,and some are berry predictable.And while the shots are obviously creative,a lot of the angles don't make sense.Also,and I may be wrong here because of the FX discussion,but I think the animation isn't berry good.Movies from 30 years before looked better.

It's weird how I didn't notice that the HEY,BULLDOG sequence was out of place*.Probably because I wasn't looking for sense in the movie.

For those who've seen it,I hope you agree with me on this:
1)
THE BEATLES were also meanies.At one point,a creature fell inside the YELLOW SUBMARINE,they called it ugly,it cried,and they threw it outside.
2)In one of the DVD's interviews,it was mentioned that the BLUE MEANIES were originally going to be purple,and then they were changed to blue because they were trying to take away the music to bring everybody down.But by doing so,everyone and everything started to loose it's color.So they should've been the GREY MEANIES.

I give it 7/10.

*You should look up the story on how that sequence was made.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 5:13pm
I just saw ZELIG,and gave it 3/10.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 7:45am
I just saw PLANET OF THE APES.

Charlton Heston was so over the top,and so was the music.And the camera work was all over the place.But the biggest flaw was that during the last part it wasn't subtle anymore about it's messages.

Because it has a twist ending everybody knows about*,I tried to pretend I didn't know.It was still shocking because of how they presented.Not to mention that the movie overall was so entertaining it didn't matter anyways,Despite not being a comedy,it was a berry zany satire.I'd like to point out that I felt it wasn't targeted towards religion.I felt it was targeted towards fanatism.

I give it 9/10.

*Who was the genious that put
the Statue Of Liberty on the DVD cover?!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 7:44pm

More than 40 years after it's original release, placing the Statue of Liberty on the DVD cover isn't exactly a spoiler.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 9:01am
OK,maybe I exagerated with "everybody knows the twist ending".Regardless,I find it disrespectful.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 10:47am
I just saw Pink Floyd's THE WALL,and gave it 6/10.Also,I recently saw CUJO(same rating)but didn't post it here because I wasn't sure it's a classic or not.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 6:09pm
I'm a MASSIVE Pink Floyd fan, so I loved The Wall.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2011 at 5:08am
That's what my dad said.

You know,it's kind of weird liking a movie knowing that the people that made it didn't like it.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2011 at 11:28am
There are other instances of a good film not being liked by its makers: Alec Guinness and Star Wars, Fritz Lang and Metropolis, Mike Judge and Office Space, (at first) etc.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>