Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:16am
In my opinion, the third Beverly Hills Cop movie killed Eddie Murphy's career,  and it's never been the same since...    

Originally posted by pasim

Right now, I am revisiting the Beverly Hills Cop movies - great 80s rubbish!    ; )
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 1:47pm
I just saw THE GODFATHER. Yes, THE THE GODFATHER.  

Usually when people dislike an old movie is because they've seen modern rip-offs of that movie first. I've seen a bunch of mafia and/or gangster movies,but none of the have such amazing dialogue. We also get engaging characters and good performances. Well,Pacino did good during the last part, but before...I know he was meant to be playing a quiet and soft teen but it came off as if he was just reading lines.

I know this movie is based on a novel but it has the same narrative structure as a book. The plot changes every 1/2 hour or so. Once or twice I asked myself "where's this movie heading?" and I think it's normal for people to do that.

I give it 7/10.

After watching this, CASABLANCA, GONE WITH THE WIND and CITIZEN KANE, all I have to do is re-watch THE WIZARD OF OZ and then I can die.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 4:11pm
"The Godfather" gets less an a perfect score!? Blashphemy!
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 4:39pm
Are you by any chance one of my grandparents? Because they always hear just the title and the grade!  LOL
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 5:09pm
Sorry, Vits, but you're not giving any good reason for GODFATHER to not have a perfect score. I for one am glad Al Pacino was soft spoken, #1 because that's the character and how he changed over time (that's a little something called character development) and #2 it's better than the kind of actor he has become, the one that yells in everything he appears in. And now you're even admitting that your opinions of classic movies are being influenced by modern movies that have copied from them, which is why I suggested not grading the classics in the first place.

And by any chance, are you my 18 year old cousin, if the movie is older than 1990, it's not good enough for you and shouldn't be considered important or respected? (Sorry, had to make some kind of lame comeback).  

Originally posted by Vits

Are you by any chance one of my grandparents?Because they always hear just the title and the grade.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 5:32pm
Why are my reasons not good? Also, I said people in general (not me) are influenced by modern rip-offs.  

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

...you're not giving any good reason for it to not have a perfect score. And now you're even admitting that your opinions of classic movies are being influenced by modern movies that have copied from them...

I didn't say it was wrong that he spoke soft,I said I felt he got carried away by it.

I for one am glad Al Pacino was soft spoken...

Did I say it doesn't deserve to be considered one of the best movies? No, I said I don't consider it that. 

And by any chance, are you my 18 year old cousin, if the movie is older than 1990, it's not good enough for you and shouldn't be considered important or respected? (Sorry, had to make some kind of lame comeback).

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 8:10pm
I just don't think Pacino being soft spoken is a good enough reason to not give GODFATHER a perfect score. That and because it's considered the greatest mafia movie ever (with the exception of maybe "Goodfellas"), so of course people will copy from it.

Back to Pacino, if you have seen enough of his movies, you will know full well that he doesn't do anything half-assed. If he's going to be soft spoken, he will be pin-drop quiet; if he's going to yell, he's going to sound like he's using a megaphone.

As for your overall opinion, I don't know, I just think you're short-changing timeless classics. One point away from a perfect score, I can accept, but 3 or 4 points, there better be a good reason for it besides not having modern entertainment value like fast pacing or state of the special effects.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2011 at 11:08am
1)Regardless of how Pacino spoke, I didn't like his performance.

I just don't think Pacino being soft spoken is a good enough reason to not give GODFATHER a perfect score. That and because it's considered the greatest mafia movie ever (with the exception of maybe "Goodfellas")...

2)I know it's considered that,but that does not obligate me to love it. 

One point away from a perfect score, I can accept, but 3 or 4 points, there better be a good reason for it besides not having modern entertainment value like fast pacing or state of the special effects.

When did I say anything like that?  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2011 at 4:32pm
1. Well, there are millions of movie lovers who would strongly disagree with you, but that's your opinion and I suppose you're entitled to it.
2. Again, that's your opinion. I just think three points is a bit much due to such a trival thing like an actor being soft spoken because that's what is called for the character. It's like giving a low score to "Rain Man" for calling Dustin Hoffman's performance annoying when it's one of the main traits of the Raymond character.
3. I was talking about your other reviews of classic movies, ie. "2001" and "Ghostbusters". There's a reason why most professional critics are old men, they grew up watching movies from different eras, and they do not judge them from what more modern movies can accomplish.  

1)Regardless of how Pacino spoke, I didn't like his performance.
2)I know it's considered that,but that does not obligate me to love it. 
When did I say anything like that?  
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2011 at 5:39pm
I disagree on at least one point: Pacino totally mailed it in with his performance in Any Given Sunday. That shouldn't be surprising. It was a dreadful movie and he was so wildly miscast it isn't hard to understand why he didn't take it seriously.

Back to Pacino, if you have seen enough of his movies, you will know full well that he doesn't do anything half-assed.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 7:59am
1)I didn't review them, I commented on them. I didn't gave them my usual analysis, and as I did with THE GODFATHER.

2)I won't deny my age sometimes makes me look at movies differently, but I have a problem when people seem to only care about my age. There is no movie that everyone will like, and there never will be. But you respond to me as if I hated this one. I liked it, and gave it 4 stars out of 5.

I was talking about your other reviews of classic movies, ie. "2001" and "Ghostbusters". There's a reason why most professional critics are old men, they grew up watching movies from different eras, and they do not judge them from what more modern movies can accomplish.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:04pm
Well, nowadays, Pacino "mails it in" almost all the time, but I was just mentioning his overuse of both whisphering and yelling.  

RESPONSE from head RAZZberry: Hence, Pacino has already been a RAZZIE® nominee more than once -- and will likely be again this year, depending on how big a fool he makes of himself playing "himself" falling in love with Adam Sandler in drag in JACK & JILL...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:08pm
Well, like it or not, age is a big factor in whether  you're going to like certain movies. If you're under the age of 30, and you give a perfect score to some popcorn movie that's all CGI and no story, but then give a low score to a classic black and white movie, people will write you off as being too young and not knowing what makes a good movie. 

That's just the way it works, and why most critics are old men, because after 30-50 years of movie watching, they should know what a good movie is.  

2)I won't deny my age sometimes makes me look at movies differently,but I have a problem when people seem to only care abouit my age.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:43am
SuperTeenTopia: 

1)How many of my reviews(not comments) have you read all the way through?  

2)Why do you assume I dislike all the old movies I've seen?  

3)Why would they hire me if I'm "too young"?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:52am
Vits --  

1. I've read most of what you posted here. 

2. Based on what you have posted, it seems you're often unimpressed by classic films.  

3. Who hired you? Are you professional, or just a some guy who posts reviews on IMDb.com for his own amusement?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 9:34am
1)Most of what I post here are comments,not reviews.That's why I asked.If you think my opinions are wrong, that's fine, because that's also an opinion, which is the whole point. But I want you to read first my fulll reviews -- The link is in my signature. 

2)Come on.I've been through enough forums to know the deal. Let's say that of all the classics I've seen, I've liked most of them. But you wouldn't care. You would just care about the ones I didn't like. I said that I liked 3 of the 4 main performances in THE GODFATHER and all you care was about one of them. If you disagree with me, fine. But at least admit that statement is true.

3)Sorry, I forgot you're new here. I now work as a film critic for the magazine La Pollera. That link is also in my signature.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>