Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: August 24 2012 at 9:10am
If I were to review The Raid, I'd probably be nothing more than "Holy sh*t, that's f*cking awesome!' repeated over and over.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

If I were to review The Raid, I'd probably be nothing more than "Holy sh*t, that's f*cking awesome!' repeated over and over.

I had the same reaction as well.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 10:01pm
This is going to be a short one.

Picnic At Hanging Rock: A really weird movie, but also a really well made movie. Grade: A+

Out Of Africa: Good acting and chemistry from Streep and Redford, but the rest of the film is kinda boring. Grade: B

The Outlaw Josey Wales: Really awesome. Eastwood and John Vernon are good. Grade: A+

Nights Of Cabiria: Really good acting, directing, and writing. Grade: A+

Trouble In Paradise: The acting is great and Ernst Lubitsch's direction is really good. Grade: A+

The Up Documentaries: All of them are magnificent and are absolutely engrossing. Grade: A+

Best classic movie: The Up Documentaries

Best "modern" movie: Philadelphia
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 8:28am

Best "modern" movie: Philadelphia
7/10.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 9:24am
I just re-watched THE GREAT DICTATOR.

I liked it, just like everyone. But I have some pet peeves with it. No, not the fact that HYNKEL (the parody of Hitler) has a German accent when he speaks "German" and an American accent when he speaks English. OK, that too. But mainly, the gibberish talk got old after a while. It drags a lot in the middle, and the last part feels a little disjointed from the rest (I heard that the ending was re-shot). Finally, there were very, very few moments of physical comedy that felt out of place, like they were added just because.

I give it a 7/10. I still think THE GOLD RUSH is Chaplin's best.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 7:21pm
Peeping Tom: The very first proto-slasher, Peeping Tom has great acting and direction. Grade: A+

The Poor Little Rich Girl: Mary Pickford is good as is the film. Strange note: the film has an intermission despite being just over an hour. Grade: B+

Yast Year At Marienbad: Really good, with nice shots and acting. Grade: A+

My Dinner With Andre: Somehow, a movie about two guys having dinner is more interesting than a movie about giant transforming robots. Grade: A+

Saturday Night Fever: One of the most epic examples of the public getting a movie wrong. It helped kick off the disco craze... despite portaying disco culture as shallow and racist. The public getting the movie wrong has damned the movie in the court of public opinion. Which is a shame because the movie is really amazing with great acting, writing, and especially the direction. Grade: A+

A Place In The Sun: One of Elizabeth Taylor first movies and one of her best. Grade: A-

Purple Noon: Really good. Minor quibble: the version I saw it on had dubbing, and the dubbing isn't very good. Grade: B+

Touch Of Evil: Despite Charlston Heston as a Mexican, the movie is really good. Orson Welles gives the best performance and Heston is good despite his "ethnicity". Grade: A+

Yellow Submarine: Really good deranged animation and music. All You Need Is Love is horrifically overrated though. Grade: A

Dracula: Despite me prefering Nosferatu, this is really good. Bela Lugosi gives the best performance. Grade: A+

Best classic movie: Saturday Night Fever
Best modern movie: A Seperation  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: A minor point, but PLACE IN THE SUN was one of Elizabeth Taylor's first adult roles, but SUN was hardly one of her first films. By the time she made it in 1951, she had been acting in movies for almost a decade and had been in more than a dozen movies (IMDb LINK). She first come to the public's attention in 1943's LASSIE COME HOME. 

Sadly, after an illustrious career that included five Best Actress nominations and two wins (IMDb LINK) one of her last roles was RAZZIE® Nominated -- As the bellicose, slatternly Mrs. Slaghoople in 1994's THE FLINTSTONES (IMDb LINK). TRIVIA FOOTNOTE: When Taylor refused to appear in the same in role in the 2000 sequel FLINTSTONES IN VIA ROCK VEGAS, she was replaced by her old Fox rival Joan Collins -- who was also nominated for Worst Supporting Actress (IMDb LINK) as Mrs. Slaghoople...  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 8:04am
You mean because SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER is mostly remembered because of the music? Yeah, it sucks, because it's almost like comparing it to CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC. Anyway, click here.

Saturday Night Fever: One of the most epic examples of the public getting a movie wrong. It helped kick off the disco craze... despite portaying disco culture as shallow and racist. The public getting the movie wrong has damned the movie in the court of public opinion. Which is a shame because the movie is really amazing with great acting, writing, and especially the direction. Grade: A+

My comments on this are a few pages back.

A Place In The Sun: One of Elizabeth Taylor first movies and one of her best. Grade: A-
Also a few pages back. Would you say ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE is a bad song? I wouldn't.

Yellow Submarine: Really good deranged animation and music. All You Need Is Love is horrifically overrated though. Grade: A
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 1:47pm
A really bad song. All You Need Is Love is to The Beatles as Toys is to Barry Levinson.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Vits

I just re-watched THE GREAT DICTATOR.

I give it a 7/10. I still think THE GOLD RUSH is Chaplin's best.

Chaplin always said that Gold Rush was the movie for which he most wanted to be remembered but out of all of his films it is probably my personal least favorite. Which one is my favorite usually depends on which one I have seen most recently, but I tend to pull out Modern Times and City Lights the most frequently. I also have a deep affection for Monsieur Verdoux, which I think is an underappreciated masterpiece.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 11:11am
Skip to 05:13, and then to 08:05.

Any thoughts?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 2:09pm
Sorry for the delay, but I was really sleepy last night. I watched some really great movies this week, including the best (IMO) films of Bergman, Boorman, Bunuel, Cocteau, Griffith, and Kurosawa.

Great Expectations: The David Lean version is really good and well-acted. Grade: A+

The Postman Always Rings Twice: Lana Turner is really good, but the rest of the film isn't. Still Good. Grade: B+

Broken Blossoms: Despite some unfortunate (in hindsight) yellow-face, this is incredibly engrossing and moving. Grade: A+

The Orpheus trilogy: These are all really good, but you have to watch Orpheus twice to really "get" it. Grade: A+

Point Blank: Really awesome! Lee Marvin gives probably the best non-Liberty Valance performance in his career. Look for a pre-All In The Family Caroll O'Conner and a pre-Animal House/Josey Whales John Vernon. Grade: A+

Now, Voyager: Bette Davis gives a really good performance. Grade: B+

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie: It's incredibly weird, but never boring. Grade: A+

The Last Laugh: FW Murnau's film without any dialogue cards is really great. Grade: A+

The Producers: Incredibly hilarious. No other way to describe it. Grade: A+

House Of Games: Really good and interesting. Grade: A-

Romeo And Juliet '68: Really good, with great chemistry and surprisingly good fight scenes for a romance. Grade: A+

Ossessione: Really good, but it goes on for longer than usual. Grade: B+

Persona: My favorite Bergman movie. I was never bored watching this. Grade: A+

Pretty Baby: Despite some creepy scenes, the film is OK. The acting's good, even from Brooke Shields, and Louis Malle was a good director. Grade: B-

Nashville: Robert Altman's "musical" is really great. The acting is great, the directing is great, the writing is great, and, of course, the songs are great. Grade: A+

Prick Up You Ears: A well-made movie with good performances from Gary Oldman and Alfred Molina. Grade: B+

Pretty Woman: Kind of sucky. I've never gotten the appeal of Julia Roberts, but this movie isn't terrible. Grade: C+

Ran: Holy sh*t this was amazing! This was Kurosawa's favorite movie of his and with good reason. Grade: A+

Best classic movie: Ran
Best "modern" movie: Il Postino
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 2:17pm

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie: It's incredibly weird, but never boring. Grade: A+
Go to... actually, it's the previous post.

Romeo And Juliet '68: Really good, with great chemistry and surprisingly good fight scenes for a romance. Grade: A+
7/10.

Persona: My favorite Bergman movie. I was never bored watching this. Grade: A+
6/10. [Sigh] If only THE DISCREET CHARM had been more like this...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 3:23pm

Pretty Woman: Kind of sucky. I've never gotten the appeal of Julia Roberts, but this movie isn't terrible. Grade: C+

Why many women seem to find this movie so appealing is a complete puzzle to me. It is incredibly insulting to them in about a hundred different ways.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Why many women seem to find this movie so appealing is a complete puzzle to me. It is incredibly insulting to them in about a hundred different ways.

(Miguel will like this too)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 7:43pm
The thing is, Pretty Woman doesn't even make a secret of it...this movie is just blatantly insulting to women. Not only are the problems listed in that link evident, but very few prostitutes end up snagging a rich guy that looks like Richard Gere and living happily ever after. In fact, none of them ever do.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2012 at 1:09pm
Skip to 01:51.

Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>