Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: September 06 2011 at 9:59am
I just want legit reasons as to why you give less than perfect scores to classic movies based on one thing you disapproved of. As I said, one point away because you didn't like one main peformance, or slow pacing, or dated special effects, I can understand, but with three points or more, there needs to be stronger reasons like a big plothole or something. And like many other who posted here, I find the 10 point method to be heavily flawed and confusing. But again, that's just me.

As for your status as a critic, well, I'm sure Chile has different mindsets about a critic's age. In your country, age might not matter, but it does in America. In America, the older the critic is, the more he's respected because people think of him as seeing alot of movies for most of his life and knowing what is good and bad, where as younger critics are looked at as the "hipster" critic who is just brought in to say if they thought a popcorn movie was good or not. Prime examples would be Peter Travers as the wise, old critic with decades of experience, and the Spill.com critics as guys who are just having fun while watching and rating movies.  

Originally posted by Vits

2)Come on.I've been through enough forums to know the deal.Let's say that of all the classics I've seen,I've liked most of them.But you wouldn't care.You would just care about the ones I didn't like.I said that I liked 3 of the 4 main performances in THE GODFATHER and all you care was about one of them.If you disagree with me,fine.But at least admit that statement is true.
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 11:18am
Since we're on that subject,I want to take back when I asked SchumacherH8ter why did he gave C or D when he listed more bad things.Now,I see why.While I didn't gave say enough reasons as to why I didn't gave it a 10 it's because that's just how the movie felt to me...deserving of a 7.I don't review every movie I see because my reviews are for cases where I don't just want to say how I felt but also to deconstruct and analyze the movie and say why it deserves a certain grade.THE GODFATHER is clearly a berry good movie and it deserves to be called one of the best movies ever.But for me it just didn't feel that entertaining or artistic.And,regardless of his methods,I simply didn't like Pacino's performance which is also a matter of opinion and if I believed him or not,and I didn't.Isn't that a reason to not love the movie,even if it's not enough to lower the grade?  

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

I just want legit reasons as to why you give less than perfect scores to classic movies based on one thing you disapproved of.

Don't worry,I've lived there and I know you think that below Mexico the world ends.

Explain me something:If Travers
is older,why are his reviews full of humour too?Isn't that a method to appeal for younger audiences?  

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

In your country, age might not matter, but it does in America. In America, the older the critic is, the more he's respected because people think of him as seeing alot of movies for most of his life and knowing what is good and bad, where as younger critics are looked at as the "hipster" critic who is just brought in to say if they thought a popcorn movie was good or not. Prime examples would be Peter Travers as the wise, old critic with decades of experience, and the Spill.com critics as guys who are just having fun while watching and rating movies.

I have nor will never say I know more than someone older,because I know I don't.But is that a reason my opinion shouldn't be respected at all?Like I said,I don't review all movies.I do it when I have something new to add to the table,not to change others's opinions,but so they can consider it.Let's assume that I hated a certain aspect in a classic and then analyze why and it turns out I'm right.Will people stop loving that movie?No,they'll just love it despite the flaw.And I wouldn't care.Giving a movie a grade(which is something everyone does in some degree)isn't about calculating a concensus of details,it's how a movie made you feel after you've seen it.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 5:22pm
1. That's why SchmacherH8ter's reviews are my favorites here. He gives short, semi-detailed reasons why he's giving the grades that he does, and through his writing, you understand why those aspects are so bad. But your opinion of "Godfather" is your right, I was just questioning why the score you gave it was ... given. But after a page worth of debate, I'll leave you to it. 

2. I was talking about the older age means more serious thing within the critic industry, but to use humor for younger audiences has to be done in order to make the old critics relatable, for two reasons: A. The critics won't come across as bitter old farts who hate all modern filmmaking like CGI, and B. A large percentage of movie goers are young (13-25). That's probably why Spill.com is so popular, they're young and they use humor in everything. 

Originally posted by Vits

1. Since we're on that subject,I want to take back when I asked SchumacherH8ter why did he gave C or D when he listed more bad things.Now,I see why.While I didn't gave say enough reasons as to why I didn't gave it a 10 it's because that's just how the movie felt to me...deserving of a 7.I don't review every movie I see because my reviews are for cases where I don't just want to say how I felt but also to deconstruct and analyze the movie and say why it deserves a certain grade.THE GODFATHER is clearly a berry good movie and it deserves to be called one of the best movies ever.But for me it just didn't feel that entertaining or artistic.And,regardless of his methods,I simply didn't like Pacino's performance which is also a matter of opinion and if I believed him or not,and I didn't.Isn't that a reason to not love the movie,even if it's not enough to lower the grade?
2. Don't worry,I've lived there and I know you think that below Mexico the world ends.

Explain me something:If Travers is older,why are his reviews full of humour too?Isn't that a method to appeal for younger audiences?

I have nor will never say I know more than someone older,because I know I don't.But is that a reason my opinion shouldn't be respected at all?Like I said,I don't review all movies.I do it when I have something new to add to the table,not to change others's opinions,but so they can consider it.Let's assume that I hated a certain aspect in a classic and then analyze why and it turns out I'm right.Will people stop loving that movie?No,they'll just love it despite the flaw.And I wouldn't care.Giving a movie a grade(which is something everyone does in some degree)isn't about calculating a concensus of details,it's how a movie made you feel after you've seen it.

"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 10:17am
I just saw FULL METAL JACKET.

Both the pacing and the tone are inconsistent(specially because this is 2 movies into 1).The narration seemed like a last minute adition.And,though most of the dramatic moments are gripping,a few are manipulative.The best example is LAWRENCE/GOMER PYLE.His
"change" was too rushed and after he dies he's never mentioned again and it seems they wanted us to forget about him.Then what was the point?

But the main problem is the intention.There's a scene where PRIVATE JOKER wears a helmet that says "Born to kill" and he also has the peace sign.He's asked why and he doesn't know how to answer.This is where I realize they're trying to show us their stand on the war.But it's never clear.Are they against it?Do they support it?Neither?Both?What does both really mean?I'm not saying one has to take a stand,let alone show it in the movie,but like I said,they tried to do it...and failed.

I give this 6/10.If you want a better Vietnam War movie,watch PLATOON(9/10).

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 12:30pm
The whole Lawerance thing was a message about the process in which an average Joe is made into a soldier and how  doesn't always work out as planned. I felt that his change was not rushed, and after all the mental and physical crap he was put through, a descent into madness seemed unavoidable. He's not mentioned again because they are no longer living in that phrase of their lives of soldiers, it's like looking back at childhood when you're an adult, you're past that point. They are no longer "maggots", they are now actual soldiers, so why bother reflecting about their time as "maggots"?

The point of Private Joker is the conflicting opinions of war. Yes, he writes "born to kill" on his helmet, but what happens in the end when he has to kill? He won't do it. It's easy to say you're going to kill someone, but it's not so easy to do it, and that was something he needed to learn. Joker hid behind quotes and sayings, but when faced with reality, he had nothing to say. And this grey area was the whole point of the movie. It's not there to tell you what's right or wrong, it shows you both sides, and it's up for you to judge for yourself, and that's the best kind of war movie and this movie showcased this perfectly.

4/5 in my opinion. And Platoon is also 4/5 in my opinion, but I'll take FMJ over Platoon anyday, for its more raw look at war and how it's not for everyone.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 7:57pm
I love both Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. While Platoon is better made, Full Metal Jacket is more memorable. Alas, they both have nothing on Apocalypse Now, the best war movie ever and my 5th favorite movie of all time!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 8:33pm
I for one would like to know what your Top 10 Favorite Movies of All-Time are, SchumacherH8ter -- if you wouldn't mind.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 9:38pm
Here goes:  

1.) Raiders Of The Lost Ark   
2.) 2001: A Space Odyssey   
3.) The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly  
4.) Raging Bull  
5.) Apocalypse Now  
6.) The Exorcist 
7.) Unforgiven  
8.) Pulp Fiction  
9.) Memento  
10.) The Wild Bunch.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 5:13am
Nice list! 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:05pm
HeadRAZZ: I finally got around to watching Sunset Blvd. I threw that one in between The Exorcist and Unforgiven, and bumped Memento down to the high 20s'.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:08pm
Don't you mean you bumped THE WILD BUNCH down?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 3:04pm
Blasphemy!  

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

HeadRAZZ: I finally got around to watching Sunset Blvd. I threw that one in between The Exorcist and Unforgiven, and bumped Memento down to the high 20s'. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 4:47pm
I forgot to mention that I watched Memento for the first time in a while. While still one of the best movies ever, I realized that I may have ranked it too high!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 8:33pm
There's no such thing as "Memento" being ranked "too high" on any Best Movies List!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 7:58pm
Just a fun thing I wanted to point out, while Vits hates the sfx from "GhostBuster" ... that sfx was up for an Oscar for Best Visual Effects that year. Proving that in the end, what is cutting edge 25+ years ago, will look like crap 25+ years later and shouldn't be compared by today's standards.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 7:09am
1)I know they were nominated. When I research a movie after watching it, I like looking at the awards it was nominated for and/or won.  

2)I don't hate the FX.I dislike them, but they're not the worst I've seen. 

3)I don't dislike them because they look bad compared with modern movies.I dislike them because they look bad compared with movies made before,like "2001" and STAR WARS. 

4)I thought you said "the Oscars didn't matter".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>