Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Comments on Classic/Cult Movies
    Posted: July 25 2012 at 7:47pm
Time for my weekly report on classic movies.

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame: Charles Laughton and the overall movie is good. There's some werid casting though like Irish Maureen O'Hara as Esmerelda. Grade: A-

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler: A good movie, with a few big flaws like the character of Det. Wenk and how the movie goes on for much longer than it should. Grade: B+

Hud: Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, and Melvyn Howard are good, but the movie has major pacing problems. Grade: A-

Imitation Of Life: It has good acting and a surprisingly forward message for a movie that came out before MLK got his start. It, also, has pacing problems too. Grade: A-

In A Lonely Place: A great noir witha good Bogart performance. Grade: A+

Ikiru: Akira Kurasawa's done it again. Grade: A+

The Hustler: Paul Newman gives another good performance, but Jakcie Gleason bests him as Minnesota Fats. Grade: A

The Virgin Spring: The precurser to The Last House On The Left is a great movie. It follows the basic plotline as Last House, but it has better acting. Grade: A+

Nanook Of The North: The first full-length documentary. The tita character died before the film was released, but I'm sure he'd be proud that his "aggie" helped create a film genre.

The Jungle Book: Not as good as some of Disney's other movies, but it's still pretty good. It starts out kinds slow, but it gets good when Baloo shows up. Grade: B+

Jezebel: Bette Davis is good in her Oscar winning role. Look for a pre Grapes Of Wrath Henry Fonda. Grade: A+

The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie: It goes on for longer than it should, but it's still worth a watch. Ben Gazzara is good and John Cassevetes' direction is good. Grade: A
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 2:45pm
Skip to 04:03.

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 4:28pm
It Happened One Night: The first of the Oscar sweepers and it deserves it. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert give great performances. Grade: A+

It: Clara Bow's good, but the movie gets kinda boring towards the end. Grade: A-

Joe: The novelty of Susan Sarandon's first movie and Peter Byle's good performance can't stop this movie from blowing. Grade: C+

Intolerance: All the technical skill of Birth Of A Nation with none of the horrifying racism. Grade: A+

Jules And Jim: A great story with good acting. Francois Truffault's direction is great. Grade: A+

Kind Hearts And Coronets: Alec Guinness is good in all of his roles and the story is great and hilarious. Grade: A+

Laura: The movie that turned Otto Preminger into an auteur. Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews give good performances. Grade: A+

The Best Years Of Our Lives: Great acting, directing, great everything. That being said, it wasn't the best movie its year (It's A Wonderful Life was). Grade: A+

Steamboat Bill, Jr.: For a movie that came out in 1928, the special effects are great. Great directing and a funny as Hell performance from Buster Keaton only help. Grade: A+

Kramer V.S. Kramer: A good movie, but not a good Best Picture winner. Grade: B+

Lady And The Tramp: Somehow, a movie about talking dogs has a better romance than 99% of the romantic comedies that have come out in the last decade. Grade: A+

The Lady Eve: Barbara Stanwyck gives a great and funny performance. Henry Fonda is great as well. Grade: A+

The Lion In Winter: Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, and a young Anthony Hopkins give great performances in here. Grade: A+

Robocop 2: Not as good as the first one, but it's still worth a watch, mainly because of the Frank Miller-written script. Grade: B-

The Ladykillers: Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, and Herbert Lom are funny in this. Grade: B+

The Lost World: The special effects are great for their time, but the movie's kinda boring. Grade: B

Lolita: Great acting (specifically Peter Sellers) and Stanley Kubrick's brilliant direction help overcome the squickiness of the plot. Grade: A+

Red River: One of John Wayne's better movies. Highlights include an epic cowboy v.s. Indian battle and the brief end fight. Grade: A+

Rio Bravo: Not as good as Red River, but it's still insanely watchable. Grade: A+

Best movie I saw for the first time* last week: The Best Years Of Our Lives

*I re-watched The Wild Bunch and The Searchers this week and the're boh better than The Best Years Of Our Lives.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 4:29pm
Jesus, I watched a lot of movies last week!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 7:11pm
I hated LOLITA! Kubrick himself said that if he had known he was gonna get pressured by censorship, he wouldn't have made it. It fed the stereotype that old movies are all about talking. And this one in particular was supposed to be more passionate. That's why the 1997 remake is one of my favorites: it better reflects Nobokov's novel.  

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Lolita: Great acting (specifically Peter Sellers) and Stanley Kubrick's brilliant direction help overcome the squickiness of the plot. Grade: A+
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 7:31pm
Funny, I really hated the '97 version. Mainly because of Frank Langella, who's just wrong as Clare Quilty. I gave it a D+. Also, I think faithfulness to source material is over-rated. It's nice, but if it's too faithful, then it can risk seeming pointless. A lot of the criticisms of the 2012 Total Recall remake (which comes out Friday) seem to be that it doesn't differentiate itself from the Ah-nuld version. 

I graded Lolita '62 as a movie instead of as an adaptation (and I don't mind talky movies if the dialogue is interesting). 12 Angry Men is mostly talking and most people wouldn't criticise it. It's when the movie is boring as Hell (like last year's Atlas Shrugged Part 1) that it does bother me.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 12:27pm
Because he was running around naked? Yeah, that was just wrong.

LOL

Funny, I really hated the '97 version. Mainly because of Frank Lengella, who's just wrong as Clare Quilty.

Also, faithfulness to the source material is overrated. It's nice to have, but if it's too faithful, than it can risk seeming pointless.
No, when I said "reflected" I meant that I was able to feel what HUMBERT was feeling (lust; fear; etc).

I graded Lolita '62 as a movie instead of as an adaptation.
My rule is that if a movie is based on another media I judge it on it's own, because watching a movie and reading a book are different experiences. I only compare remakes of other movies. Now, if it's an adaptation of something that was already adapted before, I look at as a remake, no matter how much the directors insist it's not (TRUE GRIT, THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO). The bottom line is that they're making a movie that was already made.

And I don't mind talky movies if the dialogue is interesting. Like, 12 Angry Men is mostly talking and most people wouldn't criticise it.
Me neither. I love 12 ANGRY MEN. I guess that, like you with Langella, it didn't feel right that a movie like LOLITA would be dialogue-driven.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 2:07pm
Skip to 04:59, and then to 05:16.

Any thoughts?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 6:50pm
Little Women (1933): Really good, with a standout performance from Katherine Hepburn. Grade: A-

Lust For Life: Decent. Kirk Douglas is good and Anthony Quinn won an Oscar. Grade: B

L'Atalante: Really good, but not as good as some have said it is. Grade: A-

The 400 Blows: Really good. The acting's great and the story's good. Grade: A+

Manhattan: Really funny. Made when Woody Allen was king of the world. Grade: A+

8 1/2: Not as good as La Dolce Vita, but it's still easily one of the 100 greatest movies ever. Grade: A+

A Man For All Seasons: Really good acting, story, and nice cameo from Orson Welles. Grade: B+

Make Way For Tomorrow: Great story with great acting. Grade: A+

Au Hasard Balthazar: The most tragic donkey show ever. Grade: A+

Au Revoir, Les Enfants: A great story about a Catholic school during French occupation. Grade: A+

Marty: Ernest Borgnine deserved his Oscar, but I;m not sure if the film did. Grade: B+

The Miracle Worker: Great acting, but it feels longer than it is and Anne Bancroft is definitely not 20. Grade: B+

McCabe And Mrs. Miller: Freaking awesome! Warren Beatty and Julie Christie give great performances and it's obvious that Stanley Kubrick watched this. Watch the end of this and tell me he didn't, it looks like the end of one of his movies. Grade: A+

The African Queen: Really, really awesome! There's no more words for this one. Grade: A+

Best classic movie: The African Queen

Best modern movie (new feature): Magnolia
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 6:55pm
If you're wondering what I meant about Anne Bancroft being 20, her character is 20 in the movie and she looks older than that. Five years after this movie, she was in The Graduate where she had a daughter old enough to be married.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 10:25am

Manhattan: Really funny. Made when Woody Allen was king of the world. Grade: A+
I didn't like ISAAC and MARY's relationship. And not just comparing it to his relationship with TRACY. Despite the age difference, they were more suited for each other. He was constantly complaining that it wouldn't work, but it couldn't work because of his complains. And also because everytime she was winning an arguement, he couldn't come up with something other than "You're too young to know what you're talking about". Maybe that was the point since he chose her in the end, but it didn't make up for the rest: A Romantic Comedy that I found annoying and boring. 3/10.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 3:54pm
Interesting note: while the '54 version of A Star Is Born is airing this weekend, the original version is in the public domain and can be watched in its entirety on YouTube.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The original 1937 version of STAR IS BORN includes one of my favorite "RAZZIE®-Related" clips of all time: In his drunken speech at the Academy Awards (where he interrupts Janet Gaynor's acceptance of a Best Actress Oscar) Fredric March declares: "I got one of those once -- They don't mean a thing. What I want is an award for the WORST performance of the year!"  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 8:32pm

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre: Really great. Humphrey Bogart is magnificent and John Huston's direction is deft. Grade: A+

Mildred Pierce: Joan Crawford is great and deserved her Oscar. Grade: A-

Red Beard: Another Akira Kurasawa masterpiece. It's not as good as Seven Samurai or Ikiru, but still. Grade: A+

Cries And Whispers: Liv Ullman is great and Ingmar Bergman's direction is great. Grade: A+

Mephisto: Can be seen as derivative of Cabaret at times, but it's still good. Grade: B+

Samurai Rebellion: The acting is good, and it has one of the most awesome finishes ever. Grade: A+

Mr. Hulot's Holiday: Really funny. Mr. Bean's Holiday ripped this off. Grade: A+

Pickpocket: Robert Bresson's direction if great and so is the acting. Grade: A+

Sweet Smell Of Success: Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis give great performances and the story is well-written. Grade: A+

Monsieur Verdoux: Not as good as some of Chaplin's other movies, but that's not saying much. Grade: A-

The Mission: Made when Robert de Nero still gave a crap about what he was in. Look for a young Liam Neeson. Grade: B+

Missing: Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek give great performances in this sad movie. Grade: A-

L'Avventura: Originally gave this an A-. After re-watching it a few days later, I realized that I underrated it. New grade: A+

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown: Pretty good. Look for a young Antonio Banderas. Grade: B+

The Name Of The Rose: Sean Connery and F. Murray Abraham give good performances, but Christian Slater is a little miscast. Grade: B+

My Own Private Idaho: It hasn't aged very well, but, for it's time, it's pretty good. Grade for today: B. Grade for 1991: A-

The Exterminating Angel: A hilarious and cruel attack on the bourgeoisie of its day. Grade: A+

Notorious: Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant give masterful performances. And, of course, Hitchock is a God among directors. Grade: A+

A Hard Day's Night: The script's funny (especially the scenes with Paul's grandpa) and She Loves You is sadistic in its catchyness. Grade: A+

Mrs. Miniver: Greer Garsen is good in the title role, but I'm not sure, if it deserved a Best Picture Oscar. Grade: B+

Naked Lunch: It's f*cked up sh*t, but it's well-made f*cked up sh*t. Grade: B

My Darling Clementine: Really entertaining, especially Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp. Grade: A+ 
   (It goes without saying that Fonda's a better Earp than Kevin Cost-over-run!)  

Ali: Fear Eats The Soul: Really great. The acting's good and so is Rainer Fassbinder's direction. Grade: A+

Best classic movie: Treasure Of The Sierra Madre.

Best "modern" movie: Princess Mononoke.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 1:31pm
Skip to 03:28.

Any thoughts?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 7:45pm
101 Dalmatians: Not as good as some of the other Disney Animated Canon, but still really good. Grade: B+

Ninotchka: Really great, with fantastic performances from Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas. Grade: A

Close-Up: A great story about how films can effect a country. Grade: A+

Baraka: A great documentary about nature and how man changes it. Grade: A+

Body Heat: A great "remake" of Double Indemnity with magical performances from William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. Look for a young, pre-plastic surgery Mickey Rourke. Grade: A+

The Passion Of Joan Of Arc: Really good with great silent acting. Grade: A+

The Big Sleep: The movie where Bogie and Bacall met. Grade: A+

The Battle Of Algiers: Really great. Nice directing and acting. Grade: A+

A Woman Under The Influence: Great acting from Peter Falk and Geena Rowlend and good direction from John Cassevettes. Grade: A+

Written On The Wind: Rock Hudson and Lauren Bacall give good performances and are aided by Douglas Sirk's direction. Grade: A+

A Night At The Opera: Friggin' hilarious. Grade: A+

Swing Time: Fred and Ginger's best movie. Grade: A+

Wings Of Desire: A great movie that was remade as the total sh*t-pile City Of Angels. Grade: A+

Woman In The Dunes: Great Japanese film. Grade: A+

The Ox-Bow Incident: A really good movie about the dark side of vigilante justice. Grade: A-

Best classic movie: Body Heat

Best modern movie: The Raid: Redemption
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 6:05pm

Best modern movie: The Raid: Redemption
The Raid: Redemption was f*cking awesome. Enough said. Are you able to do a full review of it? (300th Post)
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>