Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > MEMBER STARTED FORUMS on 2014 Titles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RIDE ALONG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIDE ALONG
    Posted: January 19 2014 at 1:12pm

MEMBER-STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION

BACK IN APRIL OF 2012, NONE OF US WERE COUNTING ON THE FIRST “THINK LIKE A MAN” FILM (THE SEQUEL TO WHICH IS, BY THE WAY, COMING THIS JUNE) TO BE ANY GOOD. NOW, THE DIRECTOR OF THAT FILM BRINGS US A NEW "POLICE ACADEMY STYLE" COMEDY STARRING ICE CUBE AND KEVIN HART, CALLED “RIDE ALONG.” LAST TIME I HEARD THOSE WORDS, THEY MEANT A MULTI-CITY POLICE TOUR WHERE GUESTS WOULD BE TAKEN ALONG. IT MADE FOR A GOOD EPISODE OF AMERICA’S MOST WANTED BACK IN THE DAY, BUT ALAS, THIS FILM HAS NOTHING ON THAT.

SO IN THIS FILM, THE TWO BUDDIES ON THE CASE ARE A FAST-TALKING VIDEO GAME ADDICT PLAYED BY HART, AND HIS GIRLFRIEND’S BROTHER, PLAYED BY CUBE, WHO’S USING A MASSIVE MANHUNT AS A RITE OF PASSAGE TO PROVE THE FORMER IS WORTHY OF GETTING ENGAGED TO HER. IT TAKES A LOT OF WORK FOR HART TO FINALLY GET ACCEPTED AT THE ACADEMY, THEN HE HAS TO LEAD A POLICE RIDE-ALONG TO MEASURE WHETHER HE CAN KEEP HIS GIRLFRIEND HAPPY AND HEALTHY UNTIL DEATH DO THEM PART. AS YOU MAY HAVE PREDICTED, THE FINAL ACT SEES THEM TANGLING WITH ATLANTA’S WILDEST, MOST INFAMOUS CRIMINAL, AND WHEN THE BULLETS START FLYING… I’LL JUST LEAVE IT UP TO YOUR IMAGINATION.

BEFORE OPENING DAY, CRITICS WERE ALREADY COMPLAINING THAT IT SIMPLY ISN’T FUNNY, IT DOESN’T MAINTAIN A FAST, EXCITING PACE, AND IT FALLS BACK ON ALL THE OLD COP MOVIE CLICHES. MOST IMPORTANTLY, SOME OF THE CRITICS DESCRIBED THIS AS "FORGETTABLE," SO IT COULD BE FORGOTTEN BY YEAR'S END.  

BUT I HOPE I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE ON THIS FILM’S CASE. COME ALONG AND RAG ON RIDE ALONG WHILE THE GOING IS HOT!

DONUTS, BUMBLING HALF-COMPETENCE, AND OTHER FAR-TOO-COMMON PROBLEMS WITH BUDDY COP AND OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT COMEDIES? EVEN BIGGER ROOKIE MISTAKES! A  COMICAL DIRECTOR WORTH HALF HIS POWDER SHOULD DO A LOT BETTER THAN THAT!

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 1:49pm
SchmoesKnow review:

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 1:52pm
I know I said the movie had a lot of potential because of its stars' past works in R-rated comedies. But after reading the summary again, I started to think "Wait! Didn't Cube already starred in a movie with this premise? Oh, no. It's just that literally all of his appearances on ARE WE THERE YET? (the show) have him doing that to his brother-in-law". Is that where the idea for this movie came from?  Meanwhile, John Leguizamo and Laurence Fishburne* have 2 more movies coming out this year, and, Leguizamo has 2 movies in pre-produciton slated to come out this year.

R.T. (15%): "Kevin Hart's livewire presence gives the film a shot of necessary energy, but it isn't enough to rescue this would-be comedy from the buddy-cop doldrums".

Eric Walkuski gave it a 4/10.

*A BOYZ N THE HOOD reunion!
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 2:01pm
Jeremy Jahns' review:

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review:

Originally posted by GTAHater767

BACK IN APRIL OF 2012, NONE OF US WERE COUNTING ON THE FIRST “THINK LIKE A MAN” FILM (THE SEQUEL TO WHICH IS, BY THE WAY, COMING THIS JUNE) TO BE ANY GOOD. NOW, THE DIRECTOR OF THAT FILM BRINGS US A NEW "POLICE ACADEMY STYLE" COMEDY STARRING ICE CUBE AND KEVIN HART, CALLED “RIDE ALONG.”

Don't forget that Tim Story had already tried out the buddy cop genre with TAXI. He also directed Razzie nominee FANTASTIC FOUR. Meanwhile, among the 4 (!) script writers, there's Greg Coolidge (Razzie nominee EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH) and Phil Hay (Razzie nominee CLASH OF THE TITANS; last year's Worst Picture contender R.I.P.D.).
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 9:56am
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 1:08pm
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 2:49pm
Welp, looks like that long pre-planned sequel is going to be set in motion.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 4:47pm
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 5:14pm
Now it's official. The 2 stars, the director and the script writer are returning. They want to start shooting this Summer so that the sequel can be released next January.
Originally posted by oiram

Welp, looks like that long pre-planned sequel is going to be set in motion.
 Post Reply Post Reply