Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > MEMBER STARTED FORUMS on 2014 Titles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ROBOCOP (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROBOCOP (2014)
    Posted: February 15 2014 at 8:15am
MEMBER-STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION

REVIEWS @ ROTTEN TOMATOES

Official Website

IMDB PAGE

In the old days, when a remake came out, most people would say "Yeah, but the original was better and that is that." However, in this day and age due to over-saturation, when a remake comes out, people might say "Well, I guess I should see if it stands on its own." There is nothing wrong with that, but the way things got to this point just does not feel right. And the 2014 remake of RoboCop illustrates my point.

The original
RoboCop was a look at humanity and identity, as well as a satire of American culture. At the time, it was a shocking experience in more ways than one. The remake is attempts to keep some of its satire while also making it much more "action-packed" -- but this ends up hurting the movie more than helping it. It also tries to add more of Alex Murphy's/Robocop's family into the mix, but ends up offering not much of a pay off with it. The movie boasts a cast of people like Gary Oldman, Jackie Earle Haley, Jay Baruchel, Abbie Cornish, and Samuel L. Jackson, but most of them just don't click like the original cast did.

Michael Keaton is also note worthy, as he seems to play his role in such an odd way that he could be a Worst Supporting Actor contender (Also for Need for Speed). And before anyone says I forgot Joel Kinnanman, I have not mentioned him much because there is nothing much to say about him. He just does not have the same likability Peter Weller did.

So what do you guys think? Should we say to this remake: 
"Dead or alive, you will be RAZZed?" 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 8:58am
Michael Keaton is certainly RAZZable. Especially in his last scene. The only actors that I thought were any good were Jay Baruchel (his scenes are the closest thing the movie gets to actual satire), Jackie Earle Haley, and Gary Oldman.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 10:03am
This doesn't look like an obvious contender.

R.T. (50%): "While it's far better than it could have been, José Padilha's remake fails to offer a significant improvement over the original".

Richard Roeper gave it a C.

Jeremy Jahns' review:

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review:

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 8:50am
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 2:28pm
I went to the movies and saw it. I don't think it should be nominated for anything.
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 6:50pm
About Last Night and Robocop were surprisingly well received by critics (for the most part) and by audiences alike. Goes to show you Remakes can actually work.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:23pm
Jonathan Kim's review:

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 5:33pm
I went to see it. I thought it was just so-so except that Gary Oldman was the saving grace. 
2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:55pm
Do you feel it should be nominated for something?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 3:45pm
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 6:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply