Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > WHEN IN ROME
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rome: The City of Eternal...BOREDOM?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome: The City of Eternal...BOREDOM?!?
    Posted: January 26 2010 at 2:38pm
ROME IS ONE of the WORLD's MOST BEAUTIFUL CITIES. AND KRISTEN BELL IS ONE of HOLLYWOOD's PRETTIER (and ARGUABLY MORE TALENTED) YOUNG ACTRESSES. BUT the TWO of THEM in COMBO with a GONZO PLOT LIKE WHEN IN ROME's GOT DO NOT NECESSARILY MAKE for WORTHWHILE ENTERTAINMENT...

WHEN FOLLOWS the TRIALS and TRIBULATIONS of a YOUNG WOMAN in EUROPE to MEET HER MR. RIGHT WHO, AFTER SWIPING a HANDFUL of COINS from "THE FOUNTAIN of LOVE" DISCOVERS an ANCIENT CURSE THAT BEFALLS ALL WHO PILFER COINS from the FOUNTAIN: SHE FINDS HERSELF PURSUED, WOOED and UNGLUED by EVERY "LOVER" WHOSE HOPES for LOVE WERE ATTACHED to the COINS.

FAR-FETCHED? YES!  BUT FETCHING??  PROBABLY NOT.

TOO BAD THAT at the DAWN of the 21st CENTURY, the ART of CRAFTING the TRULY ROMANTIC (and TRULY COMEDIC) ROMANTIC COMEDY SEEMS to BE a LOST CRAFT...

BELL: "Gee, I wonder if this Half-Euro is less...or more than this film will eventually make?!?"
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 3:03pm
This movie lost me the moment its plot requires us to believe that Kristen Bell needs to throw a coin into a magic fountain in order to have every man in a five miles radius fall madly in love with her at first sight. It's almost as bad as "Bride Wars" and its plot requiring the two lead characters never knowing about a certain thing called a "double wedding", in which the movie falls apart within the first ten minutes.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 3:37pm
I have to agree with Michaels. Seriously, If Kristen Bell needs magic to get guys to fall for her, there is something seriously wrong with the guys around her. Perhaps she is living in some kind of home for the blind? Or perhaps she lives in a predominantly homosexual city? To make the plot even remotely believable they needed a less desireable lead... Perhaps Sarah Jessica Parker? I could easily believe that she needed magic to get someone to fall for her....

Movies like this, are one reason I am glad I am single... I'd have to leave my wife/girlfriend if she dragged me to see all of these awful "rom-coms."
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:25pm
Ah, Frank, you're onto something with the casting of Sarah Jessica Parker. Because the movie would actually be funny if it was all about men falling madly in love with a horse-faced woman!   

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I have to agree with Michaels. Seriously, If Kristen Bell needs magic to get guys to fall for her, there is something seriously wrong with the guys around her. Perhaps she is living in some kind of home for the blind? Or perhaps she lives in a predominantly homosexual city? To make the plot even remotely believable they needed a less desireable lead... Perhaps Sarah Jessica Parker? I could easily believe that she needed magic to get someone to fall for her....
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 9:49pm
LOL! I specifically avoided mentioning Parker's "horse-face" in my post -- good to see someone else making that remark for me! But that her face would make this horrifically inane plot actually work.

And I actually feel kinda bad for Kristen, getting stuck in a load of crap like this.
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:23pm
Okay, I think I have found a much better leading lady for this movie, which would actually make it funny to watch men swoon over her ... the landlord's daugther from "Spider-Man 2 &3"!

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 7:02pm
Richard Roeper was upset after watching this one.  Here's why: LINK.
Clayface9 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clayface9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 9:00pm
This movie isn't good, but it's not really bad enough for a Worst Picture nomination.  However, Dax Shepard's performance is Worst Supporting Actor worthy.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 11:30pm
Rom Com Bomb.  Rom Com Bomb.  Rom Com Bomb.  Rom Com Bomb. . . .

That's four this year. 
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 1:01pm
You've been chanting those three syllables all winter! I, however, am under the impression that in February of 2001, the health of romantic comedies began to fail when Jennifer Lopez released The Wedding Planner.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

You've been chanting those three syllables all winter! I, however, am under the impression that in February of 2001, the health of romantic comedies began to fail when Jennifer Lopez released The Wedding Planner.

I think the rom-com died after "When Harry Meet Sally". It was the end all, be all of rom-coms and no other rom-com has been able to top it since.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

I think the rom-com died after "When Harry Meet Sally". It was the end all, be all of rom-coms and no other rom-com has been able to top it since.

500 Days of Summer, Love Actually, Definitely Maybe, High Fidelity, 13 Going on 30, Waitress, any movie by Judd Apatow, Lars and the Real Girl, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, About a Boy, What Women Want, Juno, Amelie, Say Anything, Sideways, Punk Drunk Love, etc.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

500 Days of Summer, Love Actually, Definitely Maybe, High Fidelity, 13 Going on 30, Waitress, any movie by Judd Apatow, Lars and the Real Girl, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, About a Boy, What Women Want, Juno, Amelie, Say Anything, Sideways, Punk Drunk Love, etc.

Yeah, take a note, 90 percent of those movies are either indie films or European films. Hollywood can't make good rom-coms any more. Again, "WHMS" was the last great HOLLYWOOD made rom-com.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Yeah, take a note, 90 percent of those movies are either indie films or European films. Hollywood can't make good rom-coms any more. Again, "WHMS" was the last great HOLLYWOOD made rom-com.

You never said Hollywood before.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

You never said Hollywood before.
Okay, sorry for not being clear.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2010 at 7:35pm
Hey, GTAHater, I may wind up saying it a lot more this year.  This year seems packed with either rom com bombs or sequels, remakes and ripoffs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>