Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > ORPHAN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R.T. Reviews on ORPHAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.T. Reviews on ORPHAN
    Posted: July 20 2009 at 2:36am

Will critics "adopt" this one as actually being scary...or judge it to be horrifyingly inept?? 

Here's a LINK to the Rotten Tomatoes page for ORPHAN to see how it fares with reviewers... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 12:15pm

Well. "Orphan" is slowly inching up (now to 48%) while "G-Force" is quickly going.....down.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Based on its current R.T. Rating (15%) G-FORCE will likely be added as an Extra Bonus Worst of the Weak by this coming Monday...

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:54am
lol What a wonderful week for the Razzies... Every major release is eligible!  
-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 6:28am
Wow! It just jumped from 46% to 52% in a day!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 7:12am
Okay, when it actually reaches something like 70 or 80%, maybe we will care.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:10am
Orphan is going to end up as a largely forgettable movie, MWG... Just accept that. I'm glad you liked it, but it's not registering for other people.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Orphan is going to end up as a largely forgettable movie, MWG... Just accept that. I'm glad you liked it, but it's not registering for other people.

Trying get that point across to him is going to be as successful as convincing him that M. Night is not the genius he claims to be.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 1:44pm

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb. Also, an interesting note: A user on IMDb from another country stated this:

The reviews in America were utterly bizarre. It's just opened in Britain and Ireland and I have yet to read a bad review. I really do not understand what was up with the US critics. This is clearly one of the best horror films of the past decade.

I just stated that American critics usually hate horror movies made from the U.S.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 11:51pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb.

1. We don't take IMDb reviews seriously, you should know that by now.

2. Esther is NOT going to be considered on par with Jason and Freddy. She has to appear in 10 more movies to even be on their level.

3. Well good for the movie overseas, but here in the country it was produced, it's nothing to lose sleep over.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 1:27am

Not exactly. Some people have already put Esther as the new horror icon along with Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. Also, it jumped from a 7.1 to a 7.2 on IMDb. Also, an interesting note: A user on IMDb from another country stated this:<span style="font-weight: bold;">The reviews in America were utterly bizarre. It's just opened in
Britain and Ireland and I have yet to read a bad review. I really do
not understand what was up with the US critics. This is clearly one of
the best horror films of the past decade.
</span>I just stated that American critics usually hate horror movies made from the U.S.

Are you freakin kidding me? Come on, dude... You can say that about ANY movie... Any sort of cult following to anything, even. To "SOME" people? That's a semantic cop-out if I've ever heard one.
A bump in the IMDB reviews? We've already explained why the rating on IMDB is largely pointless - only the fanatics vote there.
And as for overseas reception, there's no data to back that up. And let's not forget that RT collects GLOBAL ratings. Remember when Disaster Movie pulled the old "C-C-C-Combo Breaker" when an Ozzie gave it a positive review?
American critics haven't been enjoying American horror movies because they've been cheesy and derivative. I love horror movies, dude, and I'm here to tell you - you don't need to like a movie just because it's in your favorite genre. When you can start to dislike some of them, you'll appreciate the truly good ones for what they are. And if worse comes to worse, you can look at the largely over-inflated ratings for Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell (A good movie, but you know there were a lot of critics who were rating higher because of who the director was). That's a NINETY-TWO percent for a horror movie. That's huge.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 2:25am

And as for overseas reception, there's no data to back that up. And let's not forget that RT collects GLOBAL ratings. Remember when Disaster Movie pulled the old "C-C-C-Combo Breaker" when an Ozzie gave it a positive review?

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another.

I love horror movies, dude, and I'm here to tell you - you don't need to like a movie just because it's in your favorite genre.

I don't like every horror movie. Just good ones and as a horror fan, ORPHAN is a pretty great one.

And if worse comes to worse, you can look at the largely over-inflated ratings for Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell (A good movie, but you know there were a lot of critics who were rating higher because of who the director was). That's a NINETY-TWO percent for a horror movie. That's huge.

A lot of people seem to like DMTH. I was kinda disappointed when I saw it.

It's just that you guys treat the 6% jump as "nothing special" because you don't want to believe that this film may have a chance of actually being a good horror movie in quite some time.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:35am

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another.

And yet, you say would shouldn't bother with RT because critics hate horror movies ... unless of course Ebert says he liked it, in which case it must be good.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 7:40am

You can look on RT if you want data to back it up. Like I said, it just opened in some international markets and the 20 reviews that came from Australia, UK, and Scotland were all positive except the one from Empire Mag and maybe another

Well look. The fact of the matter is that I've seen this movie before, as The Good Son, and my guess as to the twist ending was one in which if I'd seen the movie, I'd feel entirely cheated, because I feel that my guess was close enough. The critics are fairly split, globally, if we're looking at a 44-52% range.
I just feel that the "great" label you're giving it is very much a personal opinion, and not one that could be considered universal. It just seems like a lot of nothing special to me.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 11:28am

Well look. The fact of the matter is that I've seen this movie before, as The Good Son, and my guess as to the twist ending was one in which if I'd seen the movie, I'd feel entirely cheated, because I feel that my guess was close enough. The critics are fairly split, globally, if we're looking at a 44-52% range.
I just feel that the "great" label you're giving it is very much a personal opinion, and not one that could be considered universal. It just seems like a lot of nothing special to me.

"The Good Son" is like very rotten on RT and you feel cheated by the twist? You haven't even seen the twist in context with the movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 2:22pm
Go ahead and enlighten me... Every bit of possible surprise I could get out of this movie has already been long since ruined for me, so why don't you explain why the context of something I anticipated is going to make it work for me?
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2009 at 5:18pm

Go ahead and enlighten me... Every bit of possible surprise I could get out of this movie has already been long since ruined for me, so why don't you explain why the context of something I anticipated is going to make it work for me?

I knew the twist before the movie...and I still thought the movie worked...well, that's just me. I don't know about you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>