Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > WHAT GOES UP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R.T. Reviews on WHAT GOES UP...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.T. Reviews on WHAT GOES UP...
    Posted: June 13 2009 at 12:40pm
Napolean Dynamite, Juno, Adventureland, etc.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 12:11am
Well, I enjoyed two of those movies... Still can't figure out what the fuss is with that Napolean Dynamite... I have yet to find humor in it...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 8:50am
Meh... What it once brought to the table is played out anyway, but look at it from this perspective, it was well liked, and completely original. Like the movie or don't, it provides a nudge forward for cinema in general. Which is more than most movies can say.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:29pm
Honestly, I think I would rather let Michael Bay rape every childhood memory I have, then watch Napolean Dynamite... While it may have been a step in the right direction in your mind, I say Indie films have been doing that for a long while now....
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 1:00am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Honestly, I think I would rather let Michael Bay rape every childhood memory I have, then watch Napolean Dynamite... While it may have been a step in the right direction in your mind, I say Indie films have been doing that for a long while now....

I'll take "Napolean Dynamite". I like my childhood memories.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 4:15am
Well, to be fair, I have some really bad childhood memories, so that might be coloring my views just a bit...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 7:51am
If you can point me to a movie that can recreate that kind of humor and got that kind of response from people, I'd like to hear it. Monty Python movies don't count, because they had a pre-existing fanbase.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:21am
If you can point me to a single scene in Napolean Dynamite that will make me laugh, I'd like you to do it. As of yet, no one has been able to find a single scene in that entire movie that has elicited even a smile. They have found several though, that make me think that humanity is indeed in a downward spiral...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:36am
I can find some that made other people laugh. Again, I'm saying that a movie that can appeal to the general public without conforming to modern schtick, and that's a good thing. No pop culture references, no 80's sitcom jokes, no hot girls walking gracefully only to fall down at an in-opportune moment. It was different. You don't have to like it, people did, and it wasn't the norm. I'd be sticking up for the movie even if I didn't like it the first few times I watched it.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:43am
I'm not going to champion a movie that I didn't like, because that would only lead to other movies that I do not like. And why the hell would I want to encourage that?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 10:16am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Well, to be fair, I have some really bad childhood memories, so that might be coloring my views just a bit...

Okay, I'll rephase, take al my bad childhood memories, but leave the cheerful ones about '80s cartoons alone ... Michael Bay!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 11:53am
If Michael Bay took my bad childhood memories, that would really free up a lot of space in there for useless trivia. Useless trivia would have been much more interesting.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 12:48pm
Because sometimes our own opinions are less important than facts.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 2:22pm
If opinions weren't important, then what the HELL are you doing on a site that is completely devoted to people and their opinions about bad movies? The FACTS state that some of these movies made an assload of money, our OPINIONS say they're crap...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 8:35am
Making money doesn't mean that they were of any artistic merit or don't lead to the devolution of culture. If you're going to debate things like "Napolean Dynamite didn't open the door to other independent comedies","Mickey Mouse hasn't been a positive influence on American animation" (which while I may not like Disney, MM has been around since 1927, or something like that, and a whoooole lotta cartoons have learned where to go because of it), or whatever the hell the other thing we're arguing about is, I don't know what to tell ya. Michael Bay brings explosions to the table, and little else. Uwe Boll makes movies that have little to no artistic merit, and don't bring a large audience to the video game movie genre. Hell, he doesn't even bother with the fancy editing that Crank: High Voltage brought to the video game movie genre, and that wasn't even technically a video game movie. M Night Shaymalan continues to put more emphasis on trying to twist the audience's mind around, and sacrifices the rest of qualities that make a good movie, or he just makes The Happening that does everything wrong in a movie, and then apparently encourages his actors to give ridiculous, over the top, unbelievable performances that distract the viewer from an already lame plot (and I mean that as a bad thing). These are less opinion, and more fact.
I hate Pixar movies, but I can't really go around saying that they aren't good. They do provide unique storytelling and plot, even if I FEEL they're obnoxious.
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 2:12am

Damn, you'd think Napolean Dynamite was as bad as What Goes Up.  It really was nowhere close, and didn't have any major stars.

However, Napolean Dynamite had Haylie Duff, and What Goes Up has Hillary Duff, so there you go!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12