Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > MY LIFE IN RUINS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RUINS, Indeed!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RUINS, Indeed!!
    Posted: June 03 2009 at 8:28am

WHILE WE WERE FOCUSED on the BIGGER, JUICIER TARGET for JUNE 5 of LAND OF THE LOST, THIS ONE NEARLY CAME in UNDER OUR RADAR...THEN ITS RECENT 7% APPROVAL RATING at R.T. CAUGHT OUR EYE.

WE KNOW LOTSA PEOPLE WHO LOVED MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, ONE of the MOST PROFITABLE MOVIES of the LAST DECADE (GROSSING $368m WORLDWIDE on a BUDGET of ONLY $5m). BUT, BEING NEITHER a CHICK NOR a FAN of CHICK FLIX, WE WERE INDIFFERENT ABOUT GREEK

MY LIFE IN RUINS LOOKS LIKE a RETURN to the SAME WELL as WEDDING, HOPING to SCOOP UP STILL MORE PROFITS -- WITHOUT BOTHERING to BRING ANY NEW IDEAS ALONG. ALSO, VARDALOS' BIG FAT POST-GREEK CAREER HASN'T EXACTLY BEEN STUDDED with HITS.

IN FACT, the ALMOST HOSTILE RECEPTION RUINS HAS GOTTEN from CRIX HAS US CONTEMPLATING a SPECIAL WORST CHICK FLICK CATEGORY for 2009. FEEL FREE to LET US KNOW WHATCHA THINK...and WHAT YA THINK OUGHT to BE NOMINATED IF WE DO DO a CHICK FLICK CATEGORY... 

VARDALOS: "Do you think my doing what looks life a rip-off of my own hit movie could get me a RAZZIE® nomination?"

DREYFUSS: "How would I know -- I was smart enough to bail on the JAWS franchise after the first (and only) good one..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 10:06am

This movie seems like the opposite on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." However, audiences from pre-screenings seem to like this movie.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I just checked the IMDb (where this was getting a 5.9 out of 10 rating) and B.O. MoJo (where 59% gave this a C or worse) and I am wondering (as I often do when moviewizeguy defends  bad movies) where does he get his info -- Or does he just make it up?? 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 12:39pm

Seems like her movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was a Big, Fat, Lucky Fluke. This is what, only her second movie since? And the last one (a knockoff of "Some Like It Hot") was a big fat failure. Not to mention her "Greek Wedding" TV series barely lasted half a season.

Is it possible for actors and actresses to be One Hit Wonders, the same as singers can be? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 1:04pm
She has another one coming up, "I Hate Valentine's Day". I can't say that that sounds any better, or even all that different from this one, either. It seems like she's an interesting enough actress for some, but she really needs to stay away from the behind-the-scenes.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 3:49pm

Yes, just like a certain person by the name of M Night, she too needs to take a break from writing...

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: According to this film 's IMDb page (LINK)  Vardalos didn't write this one (I was surprised, too). But its director has a whole slew of RAZZIE®-Worthy (and RAZZIE®-Nominated movies to his name (LINK)...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 11:25pm

I'm disappointed this movie is reviewing so poorly.  The trailer didn't come across so badly to me.  It seemed to be a dopey, fun chick flick.  Based on the critics' reaction, I'm guessing the scenes in the trailer were apparently the best (and only?) worthwhile scenes in the movie.  That's sad.

Nia Vardalos did star with Toni Collette in Connie & Carla, which both critics and audiences seem to have found to be an okay-but-not-great movie.  Including that, Vardalos' projects, both big screen and small screen, have been beneath the talent she had shown in MBFGW.  Maybe we should spray some Windex on her career so it can get better? . . .  

BTW, I Hate Valentine's Day is schedule for limited release July 3, 2009 (?!).

Thanks, HeadRazz, for pointing out Donald Petrie.  The best thing that director Donald Petrie has done is the original Grumpy Old Men.  I also enjoyed his original Miss Congeniality. At least he was smart enough not to be involved with either of their sequels.  He also directed Kate Hudson's How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Julia Robert's Mystic Pizza.  It seems he's had more than his fair share of chick flicks.  Petrie should be nailed to the wall for what he did with Just My Luck, Richie Rich and My Favorite Martian.  I'm not familiar with The Favor, but its premise seems horrid.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 11:42pm

Richard Dreyfuss may have been smart enough not to star in the sequels to Jaws, but why is he starring in Piranha 3-D, a sequel to a Jaws ripoff, the terrible Piranha and its even worse sequel, Piranha Part Two: The Spawning?

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 3:15pm

"RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I just checked the IMDb (where this was getting a 5.9 out of 10 rating) and B.O. MoJo (where 59% gave this a C or worse) and I am wondering (as I often do when moviewizeguy defends  bad movies) where does he get his info -- Or does he just make it up?"

Probably from the same questionable sources that Fox News gets their information, in other words twisting around quotes as they see fit, or making stuff up in order to fit their agenda.

"RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: According to this film 's IMDb page (LINK)  Vardalos didn't write this one (I was surprised, too). But its director has a whole slew of RAZZIE®-Worthy (and RAZZIE®-Nominated movies to his name (LINK)..."

Really? I was also under the impression she's one of those people who only star in something they write so they can either feed their ego or mask their weaknesses.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:27am
Originally posted by cvcjr13

BTW, I Hate Valentine's Day is schedule for limited release July 3, 2009 (?!).

That's my birthday, too. Happy Birthday to me indeed.
-Iron helps us play-
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 9:48am
July 3, 2009. The Day before Independence Day. They probably should have stuck with having I hate Valentine's Day around Valentine's Day, but then again, that's just Hollywood just trying to screw things up with us.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:22pm
I prefer my birthday movie to be the likely sequel "Born on the Day before the Fourth of July." And yes, a Valentine's Day movie in the middle of the summer... That's... a poor decision.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by sportsartist24

July 3, 2009. The Day before Independence Day. They probably should have stuck with having I hate Valentine's Day around Valentine's Day, but then again, that's just Hollywood just trying to screw things up with us.

Hey, that gives him one and only one reason to watch "Independence Day" once a year. As for the rest of us, we don't have an excuse to watch it more than once a decade.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 2:09pm
It actually came out on my birthday that year, and I saw it for my birthday. Ummmm... Woohoo?
-Iron helps us play-
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 7:03pm

I had trouble remembering this movie throughout the latter half of 2009, but if it means I Hate Valentine's Day will get a nomination (Nia Vardalos for Worst Supporting Actress), I'l be happy to see this get RAZZed.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 8:07pm
Nia Vardalos has proven she is a one-hit wonder in every sense of the word. "My Big, Fat, Greek Life": canceled after one season. "Connie & Carla" = bomb. "My Life In Ruins" = bomb. "I Hate Valentine's Day" = bomb. That is a very razzie worthy track record.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 9:38pm
I could still see her having some sort of success in the future somehow. But she's really blowing it at every chance. There were a fair amount of one-hit wonders throughout time that were talented enough, but they just find that next catchy number.
Either way though, she's probably not going to make anything that I'd ever like.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>