Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > SALT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SALT of the Dearth???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SALT of the Dearth???
    Posted: July 17 2010 at 9:21am
DESPITE HAVING a TITLE MOST PEOPLE WOULD EXPECT to SEE on a SPICE RACK RATHER THAN a MOVIE MARQUEE, SALT MIGHT BE JUST ANOTHER SO-SO SUMMER POTBOILER... THO ITS RAZZIE® PEDIGREE SEZ OTHERWISE. 

STAR ANGELINA JOLIE IS an OSCAR® WINNER -- BUT SHE'S ALSO a 7-TIME NOMINEE for OUR AWARDS (INCLUDING a 2004 NOD as WORST RAZZIE® LOSER of OUR FIRST 25 YEARS). DIRECTOR PHILLIP NOYCE HAS a MOSTLY MEDIOCRE RESUME -- EXCEPT for HELMING ONE of the BERRY WORST MOVIES of the 90s, THAT HOOT of a HOO-DUNNIT (and WORST PICTURE/WORST DIRECTOR NOMINEE) SLIVER.  AND SCREENWRITER KURT WIMMER NEVER SEEMS to RISE ABOVE the LEVEL of "GOOD ENOUGH to GET BY."  PUT THEM ALL TOGETHER and YOU HAVE WHAT COULD CONSTITUTE a RAZZIE® DREAM TEAM, ALL CONSPIRING to MAKE a NIGHTMARE of a "COLD WAR THROWBACK THRILLER"...

ABOUT the ONLY THING THIS MOVIE DOES HAVE GOING for IT -- and IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to DO with the FILM-MAKERS' EFFORTS -- IS THAT RECENT EVENTS INVOLVING SOVIET SPIES GIVE IT a SENSE of IMMEDIACY IT WOULD NOT HAVE HAD a MONTH AGO. 

SO, HERE's YOUR CHANCE to POUR SOME SALT into the WOUNDS THIS FILM's MAKERS ARE LIKELY to SUFFER at the HANDS of MOVIE-GOERS and CRIX ALIKE. FEEL FREE to ADD a LITTLE LEMON JUICE WHILE YOU'RE AT IT...

JOLIE: "That's the problem with improvising weapons -- 
You never know if they're gonna suck...or blow!"  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 9:43am
At the moment, I'm indifferent about this movie. It could suck 100% or be a guilty pleasure.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 11:29am
So far, I don't expect this to be among my worst of the year...
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 11:51am
I don't , expect this to be among my worst of the year, either. I actually think it looks pretty good. Well, "pretty good" meaning that it looks like fun summer escapism. Probably not a great movie overall, though...
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 8:52pm
There's gonna be a huge fight at the box office between this film and Inception.  This film looks like a combination of Wanted and Bourne.  I would either see it at matinee price or rent it on Netflix.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 7:18am
Hmmmm....two years ago, we had Hancock.  So many of us were so sure that movie would be awful, but it turn out to be a fun popcorn movie that could have been a hell of a lot better.  I have the same impression about this one.  However, reading up on it, Angelina Jolie seems the only person who worked at this movie; reportedly, the script is clichéd and the direction is uninspired.    I hope Jolie doesn't follow in her father's footsteps. . . I hope she instead uses her clout to demand the best.

Speaking of Hancock, Will Smith is currently in production for Men in Black III (?!).  Dead  Talk about clichéd, uninspired and not using your clout to demand the best. . .

Note: screenwriter Kurt Wimmer directed the laughably bad Ultraviolet.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 9:31am
It's weird.Angelina was nominated for the MTV Movie Awards for "Biggest Bad*ss Star" for this movie a few months ago...before the movie even came out!
Originally posted by cvcjr13

I hope Jolie doesn't follow in her father's footsteps.
What do you mean?

Speaking of HancockWill Smith is currently in production for Men in Black III (?!).
I can't wait!
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Vits

I hope Jolie doesn't follow in her father's footsteps.
What do you mean?

Speaking of HancockWill Smith is currently in production for Men in Black III (?!).
I can't wait!
1. He means that hopefully she won't be a sell-out and do any movie that comes across her desk, regardless if the movie will be any good or not. No quality filter whatsoever, like her daddy is right now.
2. "Men In Black 3". Really? Everything that the series had to say has already been said. The sequel sucked to high heaven. Plus, the 3rd movie will be in 3-D. Yawn!!!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

There's gonna be a huge fight at the box office between this film and Inception.
I think it will be smooth sailing for "Inception" for the next two weeks. It'll stay within the top 3 or 5 for the next month. There have been many reports of movie goers going to see the movie two or three times because they are looking for stuff that they missed the first time.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 1:11pm

Men In Black II, while not as bad as other RAZZIE classics for 2002, was still among the worst of the year. Men in Black III... I dread the day they release THAT!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

Men in Black III... I dread the day they release THAT!
Frankly, I'm not going to give a s***, because it's coming out in 2012 ... the same year as "Batman 3" and "Avengers"!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 9:48pm
Vits, BHB hit the nail on the head on both points.

Angelina Jolie's father is Jon Voight.  Voight is a very talented, Oscar-winning actor (Coming Home) who also appeared in Midnight Cowboy, Deliverance and Heat.  It's been a long time since he's starred in a movie that is both great and a box office smash.  In fact, most of his movies have been neither.  He has appeared in some of the worst movies ever made, such as Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, Bratz and Anaconda.  He's also appeared in both National Treasure movies, in the first Transformers movie and Pearl Harbor.  Like the late Joan Crawford or Rod Steiger, Jon Voight squanders his talent on inferior material, as his five Razzie nominations attest.

Jolie, an Oscar winner herself (Girl, Interrupted),  has her string of bad movies, as her Razzie nominations attest.   I do disagree about Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Life or Something Like It - sorry fellow Razzie members, neither of those were all that bad.  However, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life was dreadful and Alexander and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow were boring.  There were many others.  It seemed she turned a corner lately, having starred in the compelling The Good Shepherd, A Mighty Heart and Changeling, for which she was nominated for another Oscar.   Based on the current stats for Metacritic and for Rotten Tomatoes, Salt may be a good movie after all, despite Noyce and Wimmer.  If it is, this would be the second time in a row Jolie psyched out the Razzie members, the first time being Wanted, which had horrible trailers but turned out to be a fun movie.

As to the upcoming Men in Black III, well, the first Men in Black was funny, refreshing, new and well done.  Sad to say, but at the time, comic book movies were mostly as bad as video game adaptations are now, and Men in Black was one of the first examples of how to do one well.  Men in Black II, though, was horrible, as bad a sequel as they come, yet it surprisingly garnered only one Razzie nomination.  With Will Smith coming off an okay Hancock followed by a disturbingly bad Seven Pounds, and with the previous sequel being as bad as it was, Men in Black III will probably be a total mess.  We'll see.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 2:23pm

It seemed she turned a corner lately, having starred in the compelling The Good Shepherd, A Mighty Heart and Changeling, for which she was nominated for another Oscar.
And she should've won.Well,Anne Hathaway shoudl've,but Jolie was definately in 2nd place.

As to the upcoming Men in Black III, well, the first Men in Black was funny, refreshing, new and well done.  Sad to say, but at the time, comic book movies were mostly as bad as video game adaptations are now, and Men in Black was one of the first examples of how to do one well.  Men in Black II, though, was horrible, as bad a sequel as they come, yet it surprising garnered only one Razzie nomination.  With Will Smith coming off an okay Hancock followed by a disturbingly bad Seven Pounds, and with the previous sequel being as bad as it was, Men in Black III will probably be a total mess.  We'll see.
MEN IN BLACK 2 had a bunch of plot holes and the humour got a little dryer,and,7 POUNDS turned up the level of depression at the highest and didn't know how to handle the moral issues.However those movies are far from bad.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Vits

MEN IN BLACK 2 had a bunch of plot holes and the humour got a little dryer,and,7 POUNDS turned up the level of depression at the highest and didn't know how to handle the moral issues.However those movies are far from bad.
Nah, "MIB 2" just plain sucked. You can almost hear every actor and actress in it thinking to themselves "When do I get my paycheck?". And "7 Pounds", wow, talk about a movie that didn't try. I mean who didn't see from a mile away that he was going to kill himself with the jellyfish?
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 6:41pm
Yeah, I hated MIB2. I was surprised the reviews weren't that bad.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Yeah, I hated MIB2. I was surprised the reviews weren't that bad.
Yeah. Is Will Smith's charisma that powerful that it casts a spell on critics, too? I guess critics broke from the spell and that's why they ripped "Hancock" apart ... although I can't blame them, considering the movie didn't explain much of the backstory.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>