Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE STRANGERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scary Enough to Make You...GIGGLE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scary Enough to Make You...GIGGLE!
    Posted: May 28 2008 at 2:25am

WHEN WILL HOLLYWOOD LEARN THAT CHURNING OUT 57 of THIS KIND of MOVIE EVERY YEAR, YEAR-AFTER-YEAR, ONLY RESULTS in HALF of the DVDs in the REMAINDER BINS at WAL-MART BEING HORROR MOVIES?? AND THIS ONE LOOKS ALMOST AS SCARY AS...THE LAST FAILED HORROR ATTEMPT...

FROM a FIRST-TIME DIRECTOR WHOSE ONLY PREVIOUS CREDITS ARE MINOR ROLES in TWO FORGOTTEN FILMS (and DOUBLING AS a GAFFER ON ONE of THEM) THE STRANGERS PRESENTS ITSELF as a CLEVER, LOW-BUDGET SHRIEK-FEST. BUT EARLY WORD-of-MOUTH (and the STILL BELOW) BELY THAT CLAIM.

NOW IT's YOUR TURN to SHRIEK RIGHT BACK!!

AND, NO, WE WON'T INSIST THAT YOU PUT A FLOUR SACK OVER YOUR HEAD WHILE YOU POST...

HOSTAGE HUSBAND: "No, Mr. Scarecrow, I don't think Petunia Pig and Betty Boop are reasonable replacements for the Tin Man and Cowardly Lion..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 3:14am
When I saw The Scarecrow guy in this, I thought of The Scarecrow from Batman Begins...  
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 2:41am

I thumbed through the future releases at Box Office Mojo, and noticed there was far, far fewer horror films being released.  At this point, there's barely enough horror films being released, forget being bad enough, between now and December 31st to justify a Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie category. 

Using "horror" loosely, we have coming up:
The Strangers
Stuck
Mother of Tears
The Happening
Hellboy II
Baghead
Mirrors
Blindness
(Omega Man and I Am Legend with a different affliction)
Quarantine
Saw V

Not counting the upcoming The Strangers and The Happening, we are currently considering five horror films:
One Missed Call
The Eye
Shutter
The Ruins
Prom Night (2008)

Could the industry have curtailed horror movies (after the poor quality of the last few years, we could only hope), or might they be waiting until horror movies are in the can before announcing their release dates? 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 9:21am
Looks good....but people will see Sex in the City instead.
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 11:53am
regurgitate

verb
1. pour or rush back 
2. feed through the beak by regurgitating previously swallowed food 
3. repeat after memorization 
4. eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth

I feel this word effectively illustrates the making of this feature and the experience of viewing it.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 2:10pm
Saw this. The opening was brilliant. Unfortunately, the rest of the film is AWFUL! The charactors got really dumb towards the end. As the charactors got dumber, I got angrier. When it mercifully ended, I stormed out of the theater, threw my 1/3 empty soda out, and muttered obscenities under my breath.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 12:59pm
After returning from a wedding reception, a couple staying in an isolated vacation house receive a knock on the door in the mid-hours of the night. What ensues is a violent invasion by three strangers, their faces hidden behind masks. The couple find themselves in a violent struggle, in which they go beyond what either of them thought capable in order to survive.

I was doubtful yet excited to see this movie. In the end, this movie doesn't really do it for me. It's just really disappointing because the trailer for the film makes it to be something much more thrilling and suspenseful. I found the pacing to be so slow that this movie bored me to tears. I found the tone of the film to be so dull that there were barely any scares to keep me interested. I found the atmosphere of the movie to be so boring and quiet that--you get what I mean.

Some clichés are still here, although not a lot. The strangers are like fast traveling ghosts who can appear in a scene and disappear in a split second. Yeah, that annoyed me quite a bit. However, I feel sympathy towards the protagonists. This film has much better character development than most. Let me add this: Barely anything happens in this hour and a half film. That's the biggest complaint coming from me. Yeah, I'm exaggerating but, I kid you not, the ball does not get rolling in this movie at all.

What did I like about the movie? Probably the first thirty or so minutes. Why? It was promising. That's until I realized right after that, the plot went nowhere. Seriously, think of the strangers banging and messing the protagonist's minds for the first half of the film. In the next half, think of people running, hiding, screaming...the movie was spinning its wheels after that.

What I hope would be an at least decent, scary film turned out to be so boring and uninteresting that I was disappointed. The performances were decent, at best. Overall, this film is not worth your time. Horror fans may be severely disappointed and the film is just not suspenseful nor scary. The best you can get out of this movie is its trailer. 5/10
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:59am
Of all the horror films that have a shot at getting nominated for a Razzie, in my estimation, this has the lowest odds (actually I'd say it's tied with Quarantine for that "honor").
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 1:41pm
I saw this movie last weekend. Thought it sucked...badly. Not scary at all.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 2:08pm
How was it, compared to other recent horror flicks?
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 8:50am

To be honest, I haven't watched many other recent horror flicks, But compared to the classic movies, it was dumb. I wasn't scared at all -- it was just flat-out boring.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 3:48pm

Well, I'm a person who watches literally every mainstream horror flick that comes out and coming from a person who hates R-rated horror more than PG-13-rated horror, it wasn't that good. It was better than The Fog (remake) if that means anything.

You'll either love it or hate it. On IMDb, every day, there's at least one "It's so scary!" thread and another "Oh, God! This movie is so horrible!" thread. You have a 50/50 chance. Are you willing to risk it? 

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

How was it, compared to other recent horror flicks?

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 5:25am

Every single movie that's made has a 50/50 chance of being considered either a success or failure -- not just movies of horror genre. Although, horror movies do get the blunt end of bad critical reviews, since all they really are about is how over-the-top their violence can be. Most horror movies these days are about pushing the envelope on how much gore can be shown on screen, rather than how to scare people. 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

You'll either love it or hate it. On IMDb, every day, there's at least one "It's so scary!" thread and another "Oh, God! This movie is so horrible!" thread. You have a 50/50 chance. Are you willing to risk it? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 6:32am

Funny thing is, this movie rarely has any blood spilled. People who liked this movie (and who found it scary) say it's not about the blood, violence and gore. But I still wasn't impressed.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 3:17pm
Say with it what you will, I found it to be uncannily skilled at building
suspense. It was so relentless in its terror and violence that I found
myself praying for the sake of the victims, as the movie is careful to make
these characters realistic and commiserative. Granted, it uses some of the
old cliches, but I thought the movie was well directed enough to make me
care that these people are in danger. It does have some other flaws, I
think that showing the boy's 911 calls at the beginning of the movie and
not the end was a huge mistake and the opening narration that "the
brutal events that took place are not entirely known" gives the audience
the implication that the victims did not survive. Other than that, I thought
the movie was so clever at maintaining the eerie creepiness that I think
this is one of the better horror movies of the year, especially in the year of
Prom Night and The Happening.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 4:06am

I completely disagree. It's a decent movie, yes. I really do love the characters, but then they make one stupid mistake after another. It's not even scary because the trailer shows everything, especially close to the end where the baddies come in. Ugh!  And the beginning ruins everything, because they tell you exactly what's going to happen. Omg! They just spilled everything, taking any suspense out of seeing it. There's literally no suspense throughout the film, but I was surprised at the end...

The film is short, but even so, it feels like 2 hours, because literally nothing happens. It's done in 90 minutes, but it could've been done in 20 minutes. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: "Omg" back atya, moviewizguy. This is one of the most schizophrenic posts I've ever seen on this Forum! You argue throughout that this film is pointless, overlong, has "no suspense" and "nothing happens" -- yet you start out by saying "it's a decent movie." Every remark you make after that suggests you think STRANGERS sucked, yet you are incapable of just saying so... 

Why isn't it okay for you to occasionally admit you actually dislike a movie?? That's really what this Forum -- and the RAZZIE Awards themselves -- are all about... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>