Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > AWAKE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

See If You Can Stay AWAKE to the End...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: See If You Can Stay AWAKE to the End...
    Posted: November 30 2007 at 2:46am

IT STARS RAZZIE® "WINNER" HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN (of I WAS A TEEN-AGED DARTH VADER SHAME) and FORMER WORST ACTRESS NOMINEE JESSICA ALBA. IT WASN'T PRE-SCREENED for MOST of AMERICA'S FILM CRITICS. AND INDUSTRY RUMOR SEZ IT TURNED OUT SO WELL THAT THE WEINSTEIN BROTHERS TRIED to SELL IT to the HIGHEST BIDDER, RATHER THAN GET STUCK RELEASING IT...

SOUNDS LIKE a RAZZIE® CONTENDER to US. BUT THEN, SITTING THRU IT LEFT US BARELY AWAKE...

Who'd Have Ever Guessed Lil Darth Vader Would Wind Up Married to Sue Storm??

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 5:43am

Alba is a shoo in get a Razzie nomination this year, since she's been in three movies that have gotten Razzie attention: FF2/Silver Surfer, Good Luck Chuck, and Awake. As I mentioned earlier this year, this is quite a year for Alba in terms of her number of movies, and it will probably be quite a year for her in terms of Razzies as well.

Alba is also starring in a remake of The Eye, which has been pushed back to next year. And she is currently filming the sure-to-be-lame Mike Meyers comedy The Love Guru...

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 9:46am
This looks interesting. Heard okay things to very bad things for this movie. Joblo had a 0/10 and a 2.5/4...which one to agree with?
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 2:26pm
One review said that he expected Hayden to "complain about Obi-Wan and the other Jedi holding him back". He, also, wonders if "revered romance writer George Lucas was brought in to pen the love scenes".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 3:39pm

I have to wonder, what are Terrence Howard and Lena Olin doing in this movie?  I gotta wonder if this is another Oscar Baiter gone wrong.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 3:25am
Ok, so reading from the reviews, people didn't like it was "this would never happen!" types of movies. People whom actually liked it was people who had suspended their beliefs (like joblo, comingsoon, and Richard Roeper) actually thought it was okay and decent. They went along with it and thought it was okay.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 4:16am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Ok, so reading from the reviews, people didn't like it was "this would never happen!" types of movies.

SPOILER

So, you wouldn't have a problem going along with a premise that three surgeons are bought off by the wife to kill the husband during a heart surgery, and he not only survives, but is anesthetically aware during the surgery to the point where he overhears the murder plot?

The worst point is, if three surgeons wanted to kill their patient during surgery, the patient would be dead.  Any other outcome would not be easy to go along with.

Mind you, I woke up during angioplasty.  I tried twice to sit up and see the monitor, and they kept putting me back down.  Then I woke up again, and they were transferring me to another room because the room where they were performing the surgery lost power.  I thought I dreamed the whole thing because I was flying higher than a kite.  But after the procedure, one of the nurses mentioned something, and I blurted out, "It really did happen?"  I later apologized to my cardiologist for sitting up during the procedure, not that I was in my right frame of mind at the time. 

So, I don't have any problem believing what happened to Christensen's character, having experienced something akin to that, although I obviously wasn't paralyzed nor fully aware.  I just have a problem with the premise.  It would take some pretty convincing acting AND a solid, acceptable plot twist to keep me engaged.  And from the reviews I read, Christensen and Alba are not convincing.

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 4:20am

Terrance Howard is in this? First August Rush, now this!? OY! I always liked Lena Olin...shame about her being in this, too.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 10:46am

Terrence Howard has appeared in four movies that I know of this year, and the best one of the bunch has been The Brave One.  I liked that movie, but I know most people didn't.  I'm not sure what's happening here, because after Crash, Ray, Hustle & Flow and Four Brothers, it doesn't appear he's been picking them very well.  I still like his acting, but I'd like it better if he was in something better than Pride, August Rush or Awake.

Lena Olin was tremendous in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  After reading several reviews of Awake, she's apparently the main reason to watch this film.

Originally posted by Sanndman228715

Terrance Howard is in this? First August Rush, now this!? OY! I always liked Lena Olin...shame about her being in this, too.

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 11:06am
The critics are indeed singling out Christensen and Alba. One critic said if the leads had been played by better actors it'd be a great movie, as it is, he just thought it was "ok". I tried defending Christensen when I was younger for his work in Attack of The Clones. After watching Revenge of the Sith and rewatching Attack of the clones, yeah, he pretty much deserved the pounding he took from critics and razzie voters alike. As for the lovely Miss Alba, she should be leading the campaign for Robert Rodriguez to make Sin City 2 ASAP. That was the only film I've seen her in that I'd describe as "good".
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 1:56pm
Robert Rodriguez is busy screwing around with that "Barbarella" remake. Screw "Barbarella", make "Sin City 2" already. You can cast Rose in there.
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 1:35am
Is this a Gayden Crystalmeth I see on this picture? Do I see THAT name mentioned in connection with a new film? 
Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 4:11am

He's the protagonist.  You're supposed to hope he survives the surgery, and gives his wife and doctor their comeuppance.

Maybe this movie needs to be put to sleep?   

Originally posted by Queen_of_Toad

Is this a Gayden Crystalmeth I see on this picture? Do I see THAT name mentioned in connection with a new film? 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 5:43am

I don't know why, but I hated "The Brave One". Don't know why, just do.    

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Terrence Howard has appeared in four movies that I know of this year, and the best one of the bunch has been The Brave One.  I liked that movie, but I know most people didn't.  I'm not sure what's happening here, because after Crash, Ray, Hustle & Flow and Four Brothers, it doesn't appear he's been picking them very well.  I still like his acting, but I'd like it better if he was in something better than Pride, August Rush or Awake.

Lena Olin was tremendous in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  After reading several reviews of Awake, she's apparently the main reason to watch this film.

Originally posted by Sanndman228715

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 3:37pm

You'll find more company hating it that I will liking it. 

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I don't know why, but I hated "The Brave One". Don't know why, just do.

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2007 at 2:54am

I doubt anyone would see this just to watch Lena Olin, unless the person was obsessed with her...   

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>