Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on UP-COMING FILMS & PROJECTS > WHITE CHIX 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Seriously...a SEQUEL?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seriously...a SEQUEL?!?!?!
    Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Vits

O.K..You're right on the fact that you're entitled to your opinion,but you can't simply say it's bad,considerin'that aside from the good B.O.,that as we established,doesn't mean a lot,it has good reviews,and the Golden Globe for "Best Movie-Comedy And/Or Musical".

It's not "the most profitable comedy of all time",it's the most profitable R-rated comedy of all time.

THE PROPOSAL did $100 million better than PAUL BLART,and that one had better reviews,but of course not as good as the reviews of THE HANGOVER.

Which movie are you talking about? If you're talking about Paul Blart, it had an abysmal 34%. There's no argument that it's a good movie, unless you're 13 and under, and you've never seen a good comedy. Great BO simply does not mean a good movie.
Whatever Hangover has, it holds a record, and it was not the best R rated comedy of all time. I'd call Airplane!, for example, far better. The Proposal was a 43%... Still pretty awful. Look, critics are pretentious and holier-than-thou, and sometimes their tastes are a bit TOO specific for the common man, but when you look at them collectively, like Rotten Tomatoes does, you get a pretty good idea of how good the movie is, by getting the professional opinion of a wide variety of people, keyword "PROFESSIONAL". And then, if you take into account the top 10 BO of the week, and how often you see the little green splattered tomatoes, you start to get a sense that there's a very large disconnect between "the people" and "the people who know what they're talking about".
Great Box Office =/= Great, Good, or even Not Terrible
-Iron helps us play-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

O.K..You're right on the fact that you're entitled to your opinion,but you can't simply say it's bad,considerin'that aside from the good B.O.,that as we established,doesn't mean a lot,it has good reviews,and the Golden Globe for "Best Movie-Comedy And/Or Musical".

It's not "the most profitable comedy of all time",it's the most profitable R-rated comedy of all time.

THE PROPOSAL did $100 million better than PAUL BLART,and that one had better reviews,but of course not as good as the reviews of THE HANGOVER.

Which movie are you talking about? If you're talking about Paul Blart, it had an abysmal 34%. There's no argument that it's a good movie, unless you're 13 and under, and you've never seen a good comedy. Great BO simply does not mean a good movie.
Whatever Hangover has, it holds a record, and it was not the best R rated comedy of all time. I'd call Airplane!, for example, far better. The Proposal was a 43%... Still pretty awful. Look, critics are pretentious and holier-than-thou, and sometimes their tastes are a bit TOO specific for the common man, but when you look at them collectively, like Rotten Tomatoes does, you get a pretty good idea of how good the movie is, by getting the professional opinion of a wide variety of people, keyword "PROFESSIONAL". And then, if you take into account the top 10 BO of the week, and how often you see the little green splattered tomatoes, you start to get a sense that there's a very large disconnect between "the people" and "the people who know what they're talking about".
Great Box Office =/= Great, Good, or even Not Terrible

What movie was I talkin'bout?Gee,I don't know.It has to be PAUL BLART since it won the Golden Globe...was that sarcasm?Yes(DR. SHELDON COOPER).

THE HANGOVER is the highest grossin'R-rated comedy.Check anywhere.

Most people's opinions on movies are about the same at what critics feel.

All my comments'bout "not that bad" movies at the B.O.,have nothing to do with how good a movie does.Movies with great reviews and awards have flopped,such as KISS KISS,BANG BANG,STRANGER THAN FICTION(my all-time favorite dramedy)and more recently,CRAZY HEART.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 3:07pm
Paul Blart won a Golden Globe?

I don't doubt that The Hangover is the highest grossing R-Rated Comedy... That's kinda why I brought it up.

I think I'm entirely missing what you're trying to argue at this point. My point, stated simply and clearly, is "A bad movie can do well at the box office, for as long, if not longer, than a good movie."
-Iron helps us play-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 4:27pm

Paul Blart won a Golden Globe?

If you're gon'na be sarcastic,write it like me.If you're serious,then no,it didn't.I was talkin'bout THE HANGOVER.

I think I'm entirely missing what you're trying to argue at this point. My point, stated simply and clearly, is "A bad movie can do well at the box office, for as long, if not longer, than a good movie."

Sorry,I didn't get that.It's just I've been arguin'with B.H.B.,and I thought you were replyin'cuz you were takin'his side.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 4:50pm
Lol dude, no one gets and does sarcasm better than I do. I never said anything bad about The Hangover, other than it wasn't the funniest movie ever. Now, I've said Paul Blart was crap, and therefor, if you're talking about a movie that I said was bad, I'm going to assume you're referring to Paul Blart. In other words, you simply weren't clear enough as to which movie you were referring.

My argument is independent of his in this case, yes. I'm guessing our points of view aren't terribly different, but I feel that I've stayed fairly consistent with my point.
-Iron helps us play-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:14pm
Yeah.We should team up agains B.H.B..
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 7:04pm
I just saw WHITE CHICKS AGAIN.I still laugh,despite having bad directing.

I also saw PAUL BLART.Not that funny,but still a lot.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 8:13pm
And the bad script, the bad make-up, the bad acting ...  

I just saw WHITE CHICKS AGAIN.I still laugh,despite having bad directing.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
pasim View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote pasim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 6:33am
I totally agree with Vits (see below). We've seen quite a long thread of badly reviewed films doing great and those with great reviews flopping. I think it's a trend that has been established that whatever doesn't appeal to the massive audience, regardless of its actual quality, will probably not do too well at the box office, while something "made for the masses" can receive terrible reviews and still make money. That is the reality of film-making now, isn't it? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am not trying to sound like an expert.   

Movies with great reviews and awards have flopped,such as KISS KISS,BANG BANG,STRANGER THAN FICTION(my all-time favorite dramedy)and more recently,CRAZY HEART.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:41am
Sorry, but I think you're a little late to the party. Not because the post you quoted was from last year, but because right now, THE HELP has #1 at the box office for three weeks, while a lot of this year's remakes and sequels(with and without 3-D) have either flopped or grossed less than expected.
pasim View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote pasim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 3:26am
Oh, haha, sorry about the late quote :D. It's just my personal impression, really, I am not trying to pass for an expert :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 7:56am
That's OK.I'm not an expert either.I just wrote what I've heard and read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123