Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > Oliver Stone's DUBYA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Short Title...Short Attention Span???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Title...Short Attention Span???
    Posted: October 09 2008 at 9:51am

IT DOES FEATURE an AMAZING CAST, INCLUDING JOSH BROLIN in the TITLE ROLE, ELLEN BURSTYN as BARBARA BUSH, JAMES CROMWELL as DADDY BUSH, SCOTT GLENN as DONALD RUMSFELD, RICHARD DREYFUSS as THAT DICK, CHENEYand (IN the LIKELIEST CASTING to RESULT in a RAZZIE NOMINATION) 2000 WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS CONTENDER THANDIE NEWTON as 2004 WORST SCREEN COUPLE CO-"WINNER" CONDOLEEZZA RICE...

BUT IT WAS DIRECTED by 4-TIME PREVIOUS RAZZIE® NOMINEE OLIVER STONE...

YET for ONCE, IT WASN'T WRITTEN by STONE...

SO, WHETHER IT's a HATCHET JOB, a CLASSY BIO-PIC (or a TOTAL BUST) IT'LL SURELY BE ENTERTAINING SOME WAY, SOME HOW...

BUT WILL IT, LIKE IT's TITLE CHARACTER (OUR 2004 CHOICE for WORST PERFORMANCE by an ACTOR in a LEADING ROLE) WIND UP BEING a RAZZIE® CONTENDER??

FEEL FREE to OFFER YOUR COMMENTS and PROGNOSTICATIONS BELOW... 

BUSH: "So, explain to me again Turd-Blossom, why I'd wanna cross-breed Toto and Checkers..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 10:08am

Here's an interesting conundrum for you to contemplate: Which scenario would be worse news for Bush and the GOP, given that this film opens less than 3 weeks before Election Day:

If Oliver Stone's "Dubya" is:

1) A hatchet job on Our Dumbest President, and STILL fails at the box office...

2) A "fair and balanced" view of "Boy George," but STILL fails at the box office...  

3) Is both boring and Bush-bashing, and somehow manages to be a BIG box office hit...

My instincts tell me no matter how it's marketed, "Dubya" is gonna bomb. With everyone's net worth tanking thanx to the Bush stock market, I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their fast-disappearing money to see even one more word about The Worst President of My Lifetime...

Everything SUX!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 3:01am

This has to be the most poorly timed release in cinematic history. There aren't even any Republicans left that can't wait to get him out of office, and a lot of them aren't too excited about the McBush-Caribou Barbie ticket.  So the question becomes, who is the audience for this movie?

Perhaps 20 or 30 years from now, there might be some historical interest in the question, "Just how badly can one man screw up America in 8 years?" In the meantime, I think most of us are more interested in getting through the next 3 months than we are reviewing the past 8 years.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:48pm

I doubt the movie will be Razzie-worthy. From what I've seen in the trailers, it's a Bush-bashing movie about how the man was a party animal for most of his life, became president by sheer luck, and then screwed the country over time and time again.

I think it will have a modest box office take, based on people who just want to see what it's like...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 8:05am
Early word is that this movie is pretty even-handed. I saw Stone on The Colbert Report, and he sounded more like a Bush-supporter than Bush-basher during the interview. However, I was having a lot of trouble telling if some of his comments were sincere or not -- A lot of what he said was pretty extreme, and not leftist extreme.

If all else fails, Brolin's performance should be worth seeing. 
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 3:43pm
Even though I am against the Bush administration, I MIGHT see this movie. Besides, the second trailer was well-crafted and probably one of the BEST trailers for a movie in a long time (and for the very inventive use of an old 80s song that I listened to once or twice before)

From the IMDb newsdesk, it appears that Stone isn't trying to undermine the current administration, but rather is a commentary of how swayed our society really has gotten.

I read a quote by Stone who states that "This man has left us with three wars - in Iraq, Afghanistan and the war on terror - and the legacy of the pre-emptive strike.", which is kind of true the more I think about it.

Even to this day, I am still stumped as to why the hell we diverted half our military to Iraq???!!! We had Osama bin Laden in our sights and he escaped through our fingers. (I DO acknowledge though that it may have been Bush''s vendetta for the assassination attempt on his father post-Gulf War. But still, it begs the question "why?")

Read the whole article here, then I would maybe reccomend to see the movie and judge for yourself whether this supports/is worth a Razzie nomination or not. I think this may be one of the first Razzie-nominees that is truly questionable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175491/news#ni0582165

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by moat

Early word is that this movie is pretty even-handed. I saw Stone on The Colbert Report, and he sounded more like a Bush-supporter than Bush-basher during the interview. However, I was having a lot of trouble telling if some of his comments were sincere or not -- A lot of what he said was pretty extreme, and not leftist extreme.

If all else fails, Brolin's performance should be worth seeing. 

I saw that interview as well...it was obvious that Stone was playing along with Colbert's schtick. It was a pretty funny interview, but not particularly insightful as to what to expect from the movie.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 4:16pm
HeadRAZZ, are you serious?

Now, I take your views to heart, because most of the films that get their own discussion boards here are justified pieces-o-sh*t (Horror films mainly).

But you're choosing W. over Max Payne? Sure, the film is released at the worst time when Bush has completely bankrupted America (and all you Bush-f**kers can stick it up your ass), but it looks better than John Moore's raping (God, that South Park episode last week was priceless) of a classic video game.

I mean, teeny-weeny Mila Kunis as a hard-boiled assassin? Oh, my bunny isotoners are laughing their asses off. Seems like Tara Reid have some competition as the most miscast actress in history. Anyone wanna offer a rebuttal?
You think you know, but you have no idea.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 2:43am

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

Now, I take your views to heart, because most of the films that get their own discussion boards here are justified pieces-o-sh*t (Horror films mainly).

But you're choosing W. over Max Payne? Sure, the film is released at the worst time when Bush has completely bankrupted America (and all you Bush-f**kers can stick it up your ass), but it looks better than John Moore's raping (God, that South Park episode last week was priceless) of a classic video game.

I mean, teeny-weeny Mila Kunis as a hard-boiled assassin? Oh, my bunny isotoners are laughing their asses off. Seems like Tara Reid have some competition as the most miscast actress in history. Anyone wanna offer a rebuttal?

I got to agree on this one, as I mentioned "Max Payne" before. Yes, Oliver Stone has a history with the Razzies, but I doubt "W" will be on par with the likes of "Postal" or "Disaster Movie". "Max Payne" on the other hand, does. 1. It's the typical Hollywood raping of source material. Winged harpie demons have nothing to do with the video game the movie claims to be based on. 2. It stars Marky Mark, who sure, got an Oscar nod for "The Departed", but since then has made bad choices as of late. "The Happening", need I say more? Plus, he's been in what, 6 remakes in the past? "Planet of the Apes", "The Italian Job", "The Truth About Charlie", just to name a few. 3. The casting of Mila Kunis! I know she's well into her 20s, but she's working in a visual medium, and visually, she looks like she should be in high school, not running around as an assassin. I agree with Roaddog and have "Max Payne" added as a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Michaels

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

I got to agree on this one, as I mentioned "Max Payne" before. Yes, Oliver Stone has a history with the Razzies, but I doubt "W" will be on par with the likes of "Postal" or "Disaster Movie". "Max Payne" on the other hand, does. 1. It's the typical Hollywood raping of source material. Winged harpie demons have nothing to do with the video game the movie claims to be based on. 2. It stars Marky Mark, who sure, got an Oscar nod for "The Departed", but since then has made bad choices as of late. "The Happening", need I say more? Plus, he's been in what, 6 remakes in the past? "Planet of the Apes", "The Italian Job", "The Truth About Charlie", just to name a few. 3. The casting of Mila Kunis! I know she's well into her 20s, but she's working in a visual medium, and visually, she looks like she should be in high school, not running around as an assassin. I agree with Roaddog and have "Max Payne" added as a Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak.

Sad thing is, Wahlberg, Kunis, and Ludacris (as a DA) are terrific actors and actresses. I put the blame on John Moore, the man behind two unnecessary remakes (Flight of the Phoenix, The Omen)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 4:57am
Another thing: The winged demons are hallucinations of the Valkyr drug that Max Payne supposedly takes and goes on a killing spree after being left in the water. That's what I heard on the IMDB boards.
Tyleben View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tyleben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 8:03am

I won't see this film (although I voted for Bush 2X). He's failed this country.  Oliver Stone promises this will be a  "Fair portrait" of George W Bush...being released right before the election (like we have any good candidate to pick from). And this movie stars some of the most far-left actors in Hollywood -- somehow they missed Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarrandon, and Alec Baldwin...I guess they were too busy??   

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Tyleben

I won't see this film (although I voted for Bush 2X). He's failed this country. 

I'll bet you wish you would have listened when we TOLD you he would, don't you?

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 3:06pm

Yes, many reports say Stone is giving Bush a "fair" chance. He is simply telling the man's life story. Bush only has himself to blame that his life story has elements of him drinking alcohol like it's milk, ruining every business his father put him in charge of, being unable to speak  proper english, and making a laughing stock out of America.

Back to "Max Payne", I think it's safe to say it will be on the same level as past Razzie "Worst Movie of the Weak", "Hitman", another lazy video game based movie. It seems video game movies alway end up a disaster, unless they are directed by Uwe Boll, in which case they are a sign of the end of good filmmaking as we know it.

batman39 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 6:52am
W was an enjoyable romp. I have always been one who thought that Bushie
Boy went into Iraq to finish the job that he father didn't and there is a lot oil
there too. The fact that W is a rebellious guy from Texas explains a lot of
what he has done. Aren't Texans always characters.   

Don't know what the heck happened with Rice. Stone is making fun of her no
doubt. It laughable!!! Poor Thadie Newton. A Worst Supporting Actress nod
is coming her way but it isn't her fault. This isn't one of the worst pictures
of the year, unless you were looking for a total hatchet job and didn't get it.      
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 7:02am
You couldn't pay me to sit through "W". Besides, haven't we, in effect, been watching this crappy movie for the last 8 years?
Fred Cooper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>