Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > DOES SLY DESERVE a WORST CAREER ACHIEVEMENT RAZZIE®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Should we Finally Give YO-MAN a Heave Ho?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Poll Question: Does Stallone Finally Deserve a Worst Career Achievement RAZZIE??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[38.38%]
[2.58%]
[56.27%]
[2.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we Finally Give YO-MAN a Heave Ho?
    Posted: September 06 2006 at 7:25am

Your gonna eat lightnin' and crap thunder
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 4:35pm

My indifference couldn't be greater.

Originally posted by fan of 30 years

I want to respond before Saturn....YEAH!!!!!  I am thrilled this is happening....OK Saturn, now it's your turn

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
fan of 30 years View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 1:16am
I expected no less from you Saturn!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 2:22am

If the good people of Philadelphia were to chose to erect the world's largest memorial to cow dung in the middle of their city, my reaction wouldn't be less indifferent. I don't live there, I rarely go there, so I don't have to look at it.

On the other hand, if I did live in Philly, my reaction would be largely negative: This might surprise you, but it would have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the statute is modeled on Stallone. My objection would be to erecting a monument on the steps of city hall that glorifies a "sport" which represents the most barbarian example of mass entertainment since the Romans tossed Christians to the lions.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 2:50am

But to the people who actually like and care for the movie, it isn't about boxing at all.  If it just represented boxing, I wouldn't care if it were there or not either and I bet the majority of the fans wouldn't care.  But it represents something much deeper... an inspiration to keep on going... because "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very rough, mean place... and no matter how tough you think you are, it'll always bring you to your knees and keep you there, permanently... if you let it. You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit."

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 3:41am

First of all, it should be noted that Stallone himself commissioned the statue for the first movie, then donated it to the city. After displaying it for a time, the people who ran the city concluded that it was something of a civic embarrassment, and quietly removed it, to no one's great consternation. After it spent some time in front of one of Philadelphia's sports venues, it went into storage. For whatever reason, they have now decided to put it back on display.

I dare say that a statute representing the quality of perseverance could be more grandly ennobled in a form that does not invoke brutality. But let's face it...the statue isn't anyone's monument to the triumph of the human spirit. Its Stallone's monument to Stallone.

Response from Head RAZZberry: I just did some quick research, and the statue in question was actually created for ROCKY III (here's a LINK to see an image of the statue and read about its history). As for the statue being put back on display for "whatever reason", I'm betting it's because M-G-M either put pressure on (or offered compensation to) the city as a promotion for ROCKY BALBOA. The timing on this thing is anything but spontaneous... 

Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 3:52am
And as usual Saturn, I disagree with you.  But whether or not you are right about what it means to Stallone, really doesn't matter.  It is what it means to others that matters to me.  What it means to ME.  I would think that if it was "Stallone's monument to Stallone" he would have not allowed it to be in storage for all this time, but that is just me.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:03am

Upon donating it to the city, Stallone lost all input as to what was done with it, unless he decided to purchase it back. Since an action of that nature, in light of the city's decision to remove it, would have been a public relations blunder rivaling, say, turning Oprah's couch into a trampoline Stallone allowed Philadelphia to do with it as they pleased.

Originally posted by fan of 30 years

I would think that if it was "Stallone's monument to Stallone" he would have not allowed it to be in storage for all this time, but that is just me.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:05am
Incidentally, I just saw, and agree entirely with Head Razz's assessment. I was going to mention in the post above that I'd be willing to bet that the current display of the statute is not permanent.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:16am
Also, after checking the history link, I stand corrected...the original statue was commissioned for the 3rd rather than first film. Mea culpa. I wonder if they ever found anyone who would cough up $3.5 million for the third statue?
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:48am
We'll it looks like I succeeded in my dastardly plan in firing this thread up again (Heh Heh Heh). Anyways; I agree with the easement also, since that is pretty much what I thought when I read the article anyways. I am sure it will safely go back to "Storage" (Not Storage, I am never going back in that box again) after "Rocky Balboa" makes his debut (again), or it may go back faster (say the day after opening weekend) if it turn out to be the chump turkey like we here in RAZZIE world are predicting!
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:54am
Well, IT (you beast)  I would gladly take the statue...by the way (side note), you need to get Tivo so you can start recording Boston Legal...
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:56am
I would like to request a "talk to the hand smiley emoticon" be added to our options.  That would pretty much be my response to Saturn...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 4:20pm

I think we should start a fund raising drive to purchase the Rocky 3 statue, assuming that its still available. I realize that the public offer on that website is 3 years old, but the guess here is that no one ever forked over 3.5 million bucks. Just think how good it would look on the steps outside the future Razzie Hall of Shame Museum in beautiful downtown Cerritos.

Think of all the Razzie members running up the stairs on their way to visit the museum, arms raised in victory as they dance around the statue, ala Rocky Balboa. The vision staggers the imagination.

Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 1:16am
  That is a great idea Saturn!  It would definitely make me want to visit...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 3:57am

Saturnwatcher: Actually, I think Saturn maybe on to something. Since Mr. Stallone is the reigning Champion of the Razzies I think that would be an excellent idea. Maybe RAZZ could be put up a poll to see who would donate to that cause.

Fan of 30 Years: I promise to look up when the practice airs again and either stay up or recorded it with my adequated VCR.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>