Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > DOES SLY DESERVE a WORST CAREER ACHIEVEMENT RAZZIE®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Should we Finally Give YO-MAN a Heave Ho?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Poll Question: Does Stallone Finally Deserve a Worst Career Achievement RAZZIE??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[38.38%]
[2.58%]
[56.27%]
[2.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we Finally Give YO-MAN a Heave Ho?
    Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:48pm
If I had been running the poll...there could have been a

NO...wait until his next movies hit the screen...THEN he'd be eligible for it...

vote in there...

Right now I think either Madonna or Bill Cosby should get the award...or if we can do a Jack Benny Memorial Trophy in honor of the career disachievement award...I believe we might have something there...
#1 Sly Fan View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1 Sly Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 5:08am

Just thought I'd end the year with one more poke in the eye to you Razzie guys: I know someone who attended the ShowEast screening of Rocky Balboa in Orlando last month, and they said the exhibitors loved the movie.

SO THERE!

YO: Quit Pickin' on Stallone!!
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 5:09pm
Thanks #1 Sly Fan , it would not be the holidays without a poke from you. I am sure Mr. Stallone will soon get what's coming to him in the next the next 20 days...A nice Razzie Ballot with Mr. Stallone's name at the top of Santa's Razzie List! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all Sly Fan's everywhere!...Ho!Ho!Ho!
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 5:09am

First of all, allow me to second ITBeast's sentiments for a happy holiday season to you, and the rest of Stallone's fan base.

Now, it's time to burst your bubble a bit. At this late date, exhibitors aren't terribly likely to publicly say, "Wow! That movie absolutely blows!" After all, its opening in their theaters in a couple of weeks whether they think it will bring in crowds for more than one weekend or not. Oblviously, they aren't going to say anything that might tend to torpedo their own ship.

The guess here is that Stallone is going to fall victim to the reservations of his own character (quoted from the RB trailer): "Yeah, but I ain't interested in getting totally mangled and embarrased or nothin'..."

Originally posted by #1 Sly Fan

Just thought I'd end the year with one more poke in the eye to you Razzie guys: I know someone who attended the ShowEast screening of Rocky Balboa in Orlando last month, and they said the exhibitors loved the movie.

SO THERE!

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 5:51am
Now...isn't Orlando a place where good reviews for Stallone's movies come from a grey-haired, sight impaired, hard of hearing crowd???
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 2:29am

HOW DO YOU THINK ROCKY BALBOA WILL END??  HERE's a LINK to POST YOUR THEORIES on THIS FORUM... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
markk View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote markk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 10:15pm
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, I personally reckon that the rocky films are quite good, but he should probably stop now, he is getting far too old for this now.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 3:14am

In a few words: OHHH HELLLL NOOOO. We have already showered the Sly Guy with awards, including Worst Actor of the Decade. We can't mock the man any more than we already have, and it's not like he loses sleep over it.

No, it's time much more deserving people get their just desserts. Time for people who have no clue how to write or direct a movie to get what's coming to them. People like Uwe Boll. People like Seltzerberg. People who are just plain lazy, throw a 70 to 90 minute long piece of crap film together in less than a month, sell it for a quick buck and sit back claiming that they are geniuses while their movies tank and critics rip them a new one.

In the end, Sly will always have "Rocky 1" and the people's love of that movie will always overcome whatever bombs he makes in the future. Boll and Seltzerberg have nothing to atone for, no instant classic that will still be watched or talked about 30 years from now. If there were any three people in the movie making business right now that represent Hollywood's total lack of creative and artistic goals, it's those three. But hey, that's just my opinion.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Michaels

In the end, Sly will always have "Rocky 1" and the people's love of that movie will always overcome whatever bombs he makes in the future. Boll and Seltzerberg have nothing to atone for, no instant classic that will still be watched or talked about 30 years from now.

In point of fact Boll and Seltzerbert have a great deal to atone for, but they have one thing that Stallone does not: The prospect of a few good decades ahead to attempt atonement. Come back to me in twenty years and I'll probably take my teeth out of the jar, adjust my nearly inch thick pop-bottle glasses and discuss the aforementioned gentlemen with you.

But remember (and I'm not attempting to draw comparisons, just noting for purposes of consideration) prior to becoming one of our greatest Presidents, Abraham Lincoln had two business failures, lost 8 elections, suffered a nervous breakdown, had a fiancee die prior to marriage and lost at least 2 jobs. So the plights of these two are still redeemable.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

But remember (and I'm not attempting to draw comparisons, just noting for purposes of consideration) prior to becoming one of our greatest Presidents, Abraham Lincoln had two business failures, lost 8 elections, suffered a nervous breakdown, had a fiancee die prior to marriage and lost at least 2 jobs. So the plights of these two are still redeemable.

With all due respect, with the threat of losing ALL studio backing and budgeting, if Boll or Seltzerberg had a masterpiece in the waiting to release, I think they would have done so by now. I think even those three have the common sense to realize, "Gee, I shouldn't waste 5 years of my career making a string of lacklester movies that are critical and commerical disappointments. I should really make a good movie before no studio in America will touch any product with my name on it".

That's Boll's and Seltzeberg's status right now. They haven't had any homeruns this last season and are in danger of being sent back to the minors or being forced into early retirement. If Boll had an original idea in his head that had nothing to do with sex or violence driven video games, he should have released it by now instead of doing "Postal". If Seltzerberg had a smart and funny comedy instead of one and a half hours of random pop culture references, they should have made it already, instead of doing "Disaster Movie". 

We all talked about George W. Bush here. Like Boll's movie making career, Bush's career as president was one bad mistake after another. Now that Boll doesn't have the German tax loophole or any studio to back his movies, the chances of he somehow pulling an instant classic out of thin air are about the same as Bush somehow lifting the country out of the slump he has put it in within the next 10 weeks.

I understand what you're saying, but at the stages of their careers, Boll and Seltzerberg making the next great American movie is a pipe dream. It would be like Edward D. Wood Jr. trying to make the successor of "Citizen Kane" after he released "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Hollywood may be forgiving, but if you're a proven failure time and time again, H-Wood drops you like a bad habbit.

Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 5:01pm
Sorry Saturn but even comparing Stallone to Boll or Seltzerberg is an downright insult to the Sly guy, and that's saying a lot. At least we can look back on most of Stallone's movies and have a good laugh, kind of like a good MST3000 episode (Judge Dredd = comedy classic). No amount of time or illegal substances can make these movies even remotely close to funny.
markk View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote markk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 9:25pm
I agree with Mayhem5185 -- Sly is not that bad. Okay, so some of his films are not great, but you could say that about any actor. Going back to the Rocky films, they are much more that just films about some boxer, they are much more than that.
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:24am

I read that Sly is teaming Jason Statham, and Jet Li in movie tittled 'The Expendables' read the new article at the address below the post.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-43110.html

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:17pm

Well, Sly isn't learning from his mistakes, but neither is Uwe Boll. Based on IMDb, he has two movies in pre-production Hades. "BloodRayne 3" and "Zombie Massacre". Are these the movies he will atone with? Doubtful. Unless BloodRayne 3 will be one of the few movies to break the mold and be the best entry of a three part movie series, that's not going to redeem him. And unless Zombie Massacre is going to redefine the horror genre like the original "Night of the Living Dead" or the original "Halloween" did, that will not save him either. Sly peeked in his career at one point, but Boll's career has been dim since the word "go," and it doesn't look like he's doing anything to make it any brighter.

PS: Funny story about the BloodRayne movies ... my friends and I were in a FYE and saw the BloodRayne movies together as a two pack in the discount bin. Together, they cost $19.99. A minute later, we found "BloodRayne 2" for $17.99 -- Yes, that means that as part of a two pack, "BloodRayne 1" was being sold for just...$2! OUCH! 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 2:10am

First of all, the notion that since neither  Boll or Seltzerberg have produced a masterpiece yet that it is beyond their human capability is not just nonsense, it is incredible nonsense. I can produce a LENGHTY list of people who have made significant contributions to art, science and numerous other fields rather late in life after numerous spectacular failures.

Second, I think there is a tendency to view Sly's career in terms of Rocky and Rambo, when in point of fact he has had a variety of other catastrophes, and, as previously pointed out, he probably has considerably less time ahead of him than either of the other two. I fully realize that your generation is all about instant gratification, but when you reach my age, you begin to realize that patience is a virtue.

Yes, the Rocky films are much more than films about some boxer. By and large, they are incredibly bad films about some boxer, each progressively worse, which is in a perverse way sort of an amazing accomplishment.

fan of 30 years View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 2:36am

Oh Saturn, I so knew you would go there... I have come to accept that everyone has their preferences, their "movies" that inspire and reach their heart.  And because Sly has done that for me, yes, I am completely able to overlook the movies he made that did not inspire me (in any way, shape, or form).  As long as this thread has gone on, it is REALLY time to agree to disagree.  Those that get a vote have the say, those of us who don't vote, can only sit by and watch what happens, while knowing that just as much as the lack of "attaboy" awards haven't kept us from enjoying, and admiring Sly... the receipt of a Razzie will not either.  So, decide for yourself.  And I'll do the same.  I do find much entertainment here though! 

Maybe we could make a movie out of it...and Sly could direct!

Your gonna eat lightnin' and crap thunder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>