Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > LADY IN THE WATER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Similarity between LitW and ET is amazing!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similarity between LitW and ET is amazing!
    Posted: June 25 2010 at 8:26am
Some user mentioned this when talking about Lady in the Water but I didn't give it a thought because how ridiculous I thought it was. Then, I started to think about it when I was going to sleep. To my amazement, Lady in the Water is structured almost identical to E.T.: The Extraterrestrial.

SPOILERS!!!!
Both ET and Story come to Earth. ET comes from another planet while Story comes from a mythical place called the Blue World. After staying with humans for a couple of days, they need to go back from where they came but there are other forces trying to prevent them from doing so (the government from ET and the Scrunts from LitW). While trying to go back to their own worlds, they both begin to die. The humans start to get depressed but both ET and Story eventually get healed. The humans make one last desperate attempt to bring them back to their worlds and succeed in overcoming the government and Scrunts.

I just can't believe nobody pointed this out before. It's so interesting. 

What do you guys think?  
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Both ET and Story come to Earth. ET comes from another planet while Story comes from a mythical place called the Blue World. After staying with humans for a couple of days, they need to go back from where they came but there are other forces trying to prevent them from doing so (the government from ET and the Scrunts from LitW). While trying to go back to their own worlds, they both begin to die. The humans start to get depressed but both ET and Story eventually get healed. The humans make one last desperate attempt to bring them back to their worlds and succeed in overcoming the government and Scrunts.

What do you guys think?  
I think you're wasting your time talking about M. Night in a positive light in a forum which is full of people who think he is a joke and a one-hit wonder. I also think it's laugh out loud funny that you're trying to compare a movie that was a BO bomb, was ripped apart by critics, and has been all but forgotten since it came out in theaters with a movie that is among the top 5 highest grossers of all time, was an instant classic, and is still loved and cherished nearly 30 years after its release.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

I think you're wasting your time talking about M. Night in a positive light in a forum which is full of people who think he is a joke and a one-hit wonder. I also think it's laugh out loud funny that you're trying to compare a movie that was a BO bomb, was ripped apart by critics, and has been all but forgotten since it came out in theaters with a movie that is among the top 5 highest grossers of all time, was an instant classic, and is still loved and cherished nearly 30 years after its release.

How is it LOL funny when the similarities are unparalleled and why do you think I'm wasting my time when I'm analyzing a film that I liked? If anything, you're wasting your time by bashing my efforts on analyzing the film.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:30pm

How is it LOL funny when the similarities are unparalleled and why do you think I'm wasting my time when I'm analyzing a film that I liked? If anything, you're wasting your time by bashing my efforts on analyzing the film.
Because you're talking about a director in forum who doesn't like him. Does that really make any sense. And as for me wasting my time, you were the one who asked what I thought. And the similarities are not parallel AT ALL. Story had a set goal of finding a certain person and through that person, save mankind. ET was just exploring the Earth and got left behind.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:40pm

Because you're talking about a director in forum who doesn't like him. Does that really make any sense. And as for me wasting my time, you were the one who asked what I thought. And the similarities are not parallel AT ALL. Story had a set goal of finding a certain person and through that person, save mankind. ET was just exploring the Earth and got left behind.

Well, obviously, I didn't include that example because they are different. I'm just taking the basic structures of the films.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:42pm

Well, obviously, I didn't include that example because they are different. I'm just taking the basic structures of the films.
Not to mention Story bonded with most of the people in the hotel, while ET bond almost entirely with just Elliott. Oh, and "ET" was a smart, well-planned, and well made movie, while "LitW" was a stupid clusterf***.
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 1:21am
Wiz I think at this point even Vits would say "tone it down"
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:13pm
Who said my name?!

It's true that they have similarities.That's not exactly a big deal.Lots of pairs of movies have them.

Anyway,BurnHollywoodBurn asked why waste time talking about a director the Razzies hate.Well,that's why the forum exists at all.Chat about bad movies.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Vits

It's true that they have similarities.That's not exactly a big deal.Lots of pairs of movies have them.

Anyway,BurnHollywoodBurn asked why waste time talking about a director the Razzies hate.Well,that's why the forum exists at all.Chat about bad movies.
Similar? There's barely anything similar between the two other than they are both about creatures from other worlds visiting Earth. Besides that, they are as different as night and day. One is among many of Spielberg's iconic masterpieces, and the other is considered the movie which ruined M. Night's career.

As for talking about a director that is hated at the Razzie forums, it's not so much that you're talking about him, it's just that you're trying to convince us that he's good, and NO ONE here besides the two of you are going to agree about that. That is what is so pointless about it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:04pm

Not to mention Story bonded with most of the people in the hotel, while ET bond almost entirely with just Elliott. Oh, and "ET" was a smart, well-planned, and well made movie, while "LitW" was a stupid clusterf***.

I'm not talking about story wise. You're looking deep into the movies and if you do that, of course they're two different movies. But I'm looking at the big picture, the basic plot direction.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 7:06pm
A post of mine disappeared into cyberspace awhile ago, so I'll come back with it from a slightly different angle. Back in the late 60's, Disney Studios came out with a movie called Rascal. If memory serves me correctly, it starred Billy Mumy, who was pretty well known in those days as Will Robinson from Lost in Space, but he originally gained acting notoriety from several appearances on The Twilight Zone. The movie was a basic formula piece about a boy who falls in love with his pet. In this case, however, the pet happens to be a racoon. That is somewhat unconventional, naturally, and the young animals antics make for heartwarming scenes. In the end, the boy has to say a tearful goodbye to his beloved pet, and release him back into the wild where he belongs. Now, does this all sound vaguely familiar? Isn't this plotline strikingly more similar to E.T. than LITW? Probably so...Steven Speilberg readily admits that his movie Jaws is an hommage to a favorite monster movie from his youth; Creature From the Black Lagoon. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he saw Rascal in his younger days and drew on it as an inspiration for E.T. Does LITW have similarities to E.T.? No.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Does LITW have similarities to E.T.? No.
Thank you.Clap
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 7:59pm

I'm not talking about story wise. You're looking deep into the movies and if you do that, of course they're two different movies. But I'm looking at the big picture, the basic plot direction.
That statement makes no sense. If you look at the big picture, then you see they have nothing in common outside of the "creature visits Earth" thing. They are two completely different movies in overall storytelling, quality filmmaking, and legacy.
 Post Reply Post Reply