Official RAZZIEョ Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIEョ MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > MR. MAGORIUM's WONDER EMPORIUM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Cute, We Bet You値l PUKE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Cute, We Bet You値l PUKE!
    Posted: December 03 2007 at 7:43am

Tomsmobr, please lighten up about "rip-offs." On almost every thread, you mention that some aspect of the film is a rip-off of another film. There are so many recycled ideas in the film industry that we don't need to make a case of it every time, much less make a case out of similar ideas movies share.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, if you read his post, tomsmobr referred to Mr. Magorium as "a take-off of Willy Wonka." It was me who used the phrade "rip-off":

Originally posted by tomsmobr

I'm Glad The Head RAZZberry picked up also on MR. MAGORIUM character being a take off of Willy Wonka

Response from Head RAZZberry: I think instead of "take-off" you may actually have meant "rip-off"...

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 1:22pm

I was watching a better movie starring Kermit the other day. That was "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas". My 3 year old nephew Jim-Jim really liked it. Nice to see little kids liking classics.

Originally posted by Bombbot

Kermit, of all people, turns up in THIS?

Jim Henson must be rolling in his grave... Along with Dustin Hoffman's pride!

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 12:04pm

I agree here, the number of good stories is limited. If you look at literature, there are so many good novels that are either "rip-offs" of the Bible or Classic (old Greek and Roman) literature. I don't find that necessarily bad. I mean does being a "rip-off" make "The Great Gatsby" a bad novel? Or "Life of Brian" a bad film?
What matters is how well the story itself is narrated, and this is actually where the variety lies. Literatary scholars will tell you that the most important stories have already been told. I am no scholar in this field, therefore I prefer to accept this opinion...   

Originally posted by jb razz

Tomsmobr, please lighten up about "rip-offs." On almost every thread, you mention that some aspect of the film is a rip-off of another film. There are so many recycled ideas in the film industry that we don't need to make a case of it every time, much less make a case out of similar ideas movies share.

Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 2:29am
Thank you, Queen_of_Toad. Someone finally agrees with me.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 1:47pm
Dustin Hoffman was the best part of HOOK, one of Steven Spielberg's weakest films, better than Robin Williams, Julia Roberts (Worst Supporting Actress RAZZIE nominee for that movie back in 1991) and Bob Hoskins. And now Dustin Hoffman in another bad movie with a past RAZZIE nominee? Yep, that's right there.
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 4:57am

I loved that you guys listed "Dustin Hoffman & Don King's Hair" as a Worst Screen Couple choice on the nominating ballot! But the choices this year are hard to narrow to just five picks in many categories -- Whatta "Berry" Rotten Year 2007 was at the movies!!

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 5:08am

I've gotta give credit where credit is due -- Hoffman and his "Don King hair" as a Screen Couple choice was submitted on this Forum by saturnwatcher, and I found it SO amusing that I added it to our Nominating Ballot just moments before taking it to the printer...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 2:19pm
This needs to be moved back to the 2007 titles.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 12:09pm
Was Dustin Hoffman's performance bad?I don't know.It all relies on the way he talked(a mix of BULLWINKLE and Jim Carrey in CABLE GUY),but whoever actor was casted had to talk that way.

I didn't know there could be a bad cameo,but there was one here.Kermit The Frog?!It made no sense!

The only reason I watch this was'cuz it was written and directed by Zach Helm,who also wrote my favorite dramedy:STRANGER THAN FICTION.You can actually notice his trademarks:The reference to KING LEAR and the chapter description was all about analyzin'literature.Also,the tide-ass non-believer who falls for the simplistic girl...B.T.W.,how come those 2 didn't end up together?

I guess people were right when they called him "the next Charlie Kauffman":They both failed on their directorial debuts.And that's because this guys are genious of writing fiction,but not on filmmaking itself.

Would you say Zach Helm is a sell-out?I mean,he went from writing a clever script that broke reality,to writing this kiddie script that couldn't be more predictable.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Vits

Was Dustin Hoffman's performance bad?
Yes. We saw this film because the World Premier was in Denver. It was released close to Christmas, and free admission was offered to anyone who brought a new toy for donation to Toys For Tots. So we went. I'd give 100 toys to Toys For Tots if they could give me back the  hour and a half of my life I blew on this film.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 8:20am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Was Dustin Hoffman's performance bad?
Yes. We saw this film because the World Premier was in Denver. It was released close to Christmas, and free admission was offered to anyone who brought a new toy for donation to Toys For Tots. So we went. I'd give 100 toys to Toys For Tots if they could give me back the  hour and a half of my life I blew on this film.
And you know it's a Razzie movie when it makes Saturnwatcher want to take back his donations!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 8:48am
Actually,I just checked.MR. MAGORIUM's way of talk and how he looked was all created by Dustin Hoffman.So it was a bad performance.
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 9:12am

Actually,I just checked.MR. MAGORIUM's way of talk and how he looked was all created by Dustin Hoffman.So it was a bad performance.
Overall, it was just a rip-off of Willy Wonka anyway.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 12:50pm

The only reason I watch this was'cuz it was written and directed by Zach Helm,who also wrote my favorite dramedy:STRANGER THAN FICTION.You can actually notice his trademarks:The reference to KING LEAR and the chapter description was all about analyzin'literature.Also,the tide-ass non-believer who falls for the simplistic girl...B.T.W.,how come those 2 didn't end up together?

I just checked:There's a deleted scene in which they kiss.Well,it wouldn't have changed the fact that the ending was too abrupt.

Would you say Zach Helm is a sell-out?I mean,he went from writing a clever script that broke reality,to writing this kiddie script that couldn't be more predictable.

Well...?
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:59pm
Well, it doesn't really matter, it wasn't up for any Razzies and it's all but forgotten by audiences.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum
RAZZIEョ Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 12:39pm
I give this 3/10.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12