Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEVIL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Satan Walks into This Elevator...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Satan Walks into This Elevator...
    Posted: September 13 2010 at 10:42pm
Yes!  Burn and M.W.G DO have to fight about everything!  It's their raison d'ętre!  Or is it their raisins d'extra?  Sometimes I get confused about these things. . . . Confused

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 7:07am
A fantastic quote from someone that I'd love to share:

"People continue to bitch about Night, but I don't think they even know what they're bitching ABOUT necessarily. It's getting to the point that a lot of the people complaining about him weren't even old enough to have seen one of his "good" movies in the theater anyway. I don't think there are a lot of 20-year olds that have even watched "Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable", much less any that know what a big deal Night was in the beginning and that how once upon a time, people didn't know that Bruce Willis was dead the entire time. I've never cared much for his films, but I don't think he's the worst filmmaker out there or anything. He peaked young and early, nothing else he's done other than "Signs" could really be considered a blockbuster (which itself was almost a decade ago), so he's an easy target. I also know of a lot of people that think that every movie Night puts out will be the one that kills his career dead, yet they continue to think that Kevin Smith is the greatest thing on the planet, though he's hardly ever made a dime for anyone.

From years of working at a movie theater, I've learned that filmmakers' names attached to movies don't mean sh*t to most people and that the people complaining about them mean even less. They're just the loudest and in no way represent the majority. More often than not, the same asshole that laughs at Night's name on the poster outside STILL buys a ticket for it 30 seconds later. People say that Michael Bay is the worst thing to happen to movies, but "Transformers 2" still makes 400 million. Someone "can't believe" that they're making another "Saw" after they and all their friends paid to see the first 6 on opening weekend. I'm a lot less bothered by the people that just come up and buy a ticket for something that looks awful if they do it without telling me how bad they think it's going to be first. I guarantee that if another "Indiana Jones" gets made, half the people that buy tickets for it at the midnight shows will tell you how much they thought the last one sucked. They're not stating their opinion so much as as they're saying "Don't take me seriously, no matter how much I bitch and moan"."

And another...

"Those same audience members who "boo" M. Night's name in a trailer are the ones who allow the crappiest music to invade the airwaves, the stupidest reality TV shows to stay on air, the most pathetic topics to trend on Twitter, and lead movies filled with cheap sex, mind numbing effects, drunk jokes, and shallow storylines to hit mega box office success.

And because of this, Hollywood happily continues on its cycle of dumbing down our already dumbed-out generation of people who trick themselves into thinking they are "smart" when they are in agreement with the bitter, talentless, uncreative, hack "critics" on the sidelines who make a living writing up their pseudo-intellectual rants persecuting a genuine artist and storyteller who DARES to break the rules.

Un-freakin-believable.

This quote is dedicated to M. Night:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt"
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 8:05am
Translation: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Hey, you want to defend a man who has shot himself (and continues to shoot himself) in the foot, have fun doing it. M. Night's movies are no smarter than the movies in that article above, they are just shot in a fancier style. Do we even know if those same people who laugh and groan at his name are the same people who paid for "Trannies 2"? I doubt it, since if they groan at M. Night, chances are they would groan at Michael Bay's name, too.  

I keep telling you, you're preaching to the wrong crowd!  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 8:09am

Two bad movies (possibly) in one year for M Night:

It must be his birthday (or the impending death of his career)
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 8:58am
Actually, reactions from people who went to pre-screenings said it was good. One said it was better than MNS's last few films. The two who posted their opinions rated it a 6 and 7 out of 10 accordingly. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: MWG -- I assume you're referring to pre-release ratings at IMDb?  Are you so naive that you are unaware that those ratings are often posted by studio shills?? And do you honestly think that if the film deserved a 6 or a 7 out of 10 rating, its makers would refuse to screen it for critics???  

Just how naive are you?!?  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:00am
Because you know it's true. Tongue  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Translation: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Hey, you want to defend a man who has shot, and continues to shoot himself in the foot, have fun doing it. M. Night's movies are no smarter than the movies in that article above, they are just shot in a fancier style. Do we even know if those same people who laugh and groan at his name are the same people who paid for "Trannies 2"? I doubt it, since if they groan at M. Night, chances are they would groan at Bay, too.

I keep telling you, you're preaching to the wrong crowd.

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:43am
Please! Do not let this forum go the way of the forum for Disaster Movie!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:45am
In response to that "devil is walking down the street and stops at a hot dog stand" challenge, I've got one: A failing filmmaker has lost face in the industry. He wants to be back on top of his game, but he has lost his touch. Just then (WHAT A TWIST!) the devil shows up to make a deal with him. 

Oh wait, when it comes to Hollywood, that's more of a "based on a true story" movie. Never mind!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:46am
And back to those "pre-screenings," which are to learn if there's an audience for the movie, not if the movie is actually good. That's what pre-screeenings for CRITICS are for.  

[QUOTE=moviewizguy] 
Because you know it's true. Tongue [QUOTE]  

Yeah, I know it's true that you're wasting your time preaching that MNS is a good filmmaker to a Forum where he is seen as a total joke. Wink  
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:36am

"Can M Night Shyamalan do worse than The Last Airbender?"  That is the question critics and moviegoers will be asking when (and if) they see this movie.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:53am
Except, MWG, who will be in a fetal position, rocking back and forth and mumbling to himself: "It's still good, it's still good. M Night is just having a dry spell. He'll be good again soon, he'll be good again soon..."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:02pm
Except from the fact that M Night Shyamalan didn't actually "make" the movie. He is neither the director nor the writer. He just made the story. The Dowdle Broothers directed this, and Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Boy, MWG, when you decide not to let go of something, you're incredibly tenacious...and reliably delusional!  Since when is having "made the story" not considered "writing"???  I expect the WGA (and anyone else assessing that credit rationally) would disagree with you here. Shyamalan may not have directed DEVIL, but he does have a "writing" credit for having concocted the story...and on some posters. Ol' M is also prominently "credited" as the film's producer. Hardly a case of not having actually "made" the movie... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:04pm
You're right and you're wrong in your response below, HeadRAZZ. You're right about my wrong choice of words(although that's also your fault, since you keep editing what I write). It's not that the premise has nothing to do with the script. There are good movies with premises that sounded dumb. You're wrong about the reviews of Shyamalan's movies. Most comments say things like "He needs to get away from the laptop and hire a screenwriter to translate for him" or "Visually it's flashy,but there's not enough development."  
 RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Am I misunderstanding you, or are you actually arguing in this post that a film's concept "doesn't have anything to do with the final product"???  That's an argument that makes MWG's post seem studded with clear-headed logic!  If the basic premise doesn't work, nothing about the film will, either. 

Also, your claim that critics suggest Shyamalan's films fail due to either his writing or his directing (but never both) falls flat, since reviews on all three of his recent writing/directing gigs (LADY IN THE WATER, THE HAPPENING and LAST AIRBENDER) find fault with both the scripts and M. Night's "execution" of them...

Even though I dislike when posters tell us about pre-reviews, you all seem to be missing the point. Even if this movie has 100% good reviews it won't make people think better of Night, because he didn't write the script, nor did he direct it. 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Actually, reactions from people who went to pre-screenings said it was good. One said it was better than MNS's last few films. The two who posted their opinions rated it a 6 and 7 out of 10 accordingly.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:39pm
The mere sight of M. Night's name attached to this movie will be enough to keep people away...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:20pm
There's no such thing as bad publicity...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 4:51pm
Michael Cimino is living proof that your statement above is is not true. And MNS is headed in the same direction as Cimino.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>