Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEVIL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Satan Walks into This Elevator...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Satan Walks into This Elevator...
    Posted: September 20 2010 at 1:39pm
It's really confusing if BHB has seen this at all. But then we find out he wasn't paying attention.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 4:34pm
I had been talking specifically about how the movie cut to black any time any action had occurred, and how poorly orchestrated the random thuds and bumps clarified what was going on. I'm utterly unimpressed that they shot a movie in (forced effect gasp... can't even form a proper sarcastic one on this) an elevator! Not to mention that that part was bad, or ineffective, or at least nothing to write home about.

And stunning shots of downtown Philly?... Ok, they made the city look decent, but it's still... PHILLY. Coming from a rust belt state, rust belt states ain't "purdy". Again, I'll concede that the shots weren't BAD, and that they were DECENT, but I mean... 

Again, you just seem to be impressed by things that baffle me.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

The scenes in the elevator is shot in a way to make you feel claustrophobic. You are even the character in some shots where the other characters look directly at the screen. Also, outside of the elevator, the shots of downtown Philadelphia are stunning.

-Iron helps us play-
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 4:52pm
Given how mundane and simple a setting the elevator is, I couldn't even comprehend a good story that could be set there almost in its entirety. And I have seen a handful of pretty images of old factories, but for the best such pictures, they have to be very well-thought-out and use special filters... right?
themoviejester View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote themoviejester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 7:04pm
Well there is one good thing that came out of this long and funny topic: I joined, just because of the marital-like fighting between BHB and MWG.  

But anyway, all we know is that some people are going to like a movie whether or not the critics, or you guys, say it sucks. Most likely MWG is going to like it, and BHB is going to insult it in every way --  THEN watch it!  
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote themoviejester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 7:13pm
...just so he can insult it some more.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 7:21pm
Yeah, I know, I'm the bad guy for insulting the movie... 

However, we also have my buddy dEd, who paid attention to the movie, and he's insulting it just as much as I am. As I keep saying -- and I'll say it just this one last time -- this movie is like a gimmick- driven lost episode of "The Twilight Zone" in which the only ground breaking element was combining two of the most over-used and cliched "universal fears" into one story. 

And MWG is just easily sold, and willing to go out of his way to convince himself that a bad/so-so movie is better than it really is.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 8:01pm
But the elevator scenes account for only roughly 55-60% of Devil. The movie takes place outside the elevator as well. And if you're seriously wondering if you can make a good movie in a confined space, try Buried. The entire film actually one ups Devil in terms of confined space and takes place entirely inside a coffin.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 8:16pm
Do you know for a fact that "Buried takes place entirely inside a coffin"? I'm guessing at some point Ryan Reynolds has be outside the coffin before being put into it and then (if they are going for a happy ending) he will get out of the coffin later on. I really doubt that in this day and age in Hollywood, there's a writer or director clever enough to make a 95 minute long film entirely in one confinded space. Yes, movies with two or three people in a hotel room can work (and have worked, see "Tape"), but one person inside a coffin for 95 minutes ... I don't think so. 

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 8:37pm
The script for Buried has actually been leaked online for quite awhile (I didn't read it) and reviews of the film have confirmed that the film does take place in the coffin in its entirety (I don't know about the ending, though). I'm trying to not read spoilers.
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote themoviejester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 12:30pm
And what is the source of your information?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's what I think is a LINK to download the screenplay for BURIED  (IMDb LINK)... 

Also, welcome to our Forum, MovieJester!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:22pm
To be a fair sport, I'm willing to admit, as much as I loved it, "Inception" wasn't totally flawless. And to prove so, here's a few College Humor videos that poke fun at it.

Okay then, now that you can't say I'm a bias prick, you may now continue to defend (or mock) "Devil".
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:29pm
Welcome to the board, Jester...permit me to introduce myself...the voice of reason LOL

I rarely take issue with BHB, however I have to take exception to comparing this movie in any way to the old Twilight Zone series. There were some not-so-good episodes during it's five year run, but the worst of them was considerably better than anything M. Nut Shamalamadingdong has had his name on the past few years. Rod Serling was not only a pretty talented writer, but as a producer he knew a good story when he saw it, and how to translate it effectively onto the television screen. M Nut might have started with some capability, but he has most certainly lost it.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 5:54pm
BHB -- Nobody called you a prick... 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Okay then, now that you can't say I'm a bias prick, you may now continue to defend (or mock) "Devil".

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:04pm
Nobody called me a prick? Miguel has, plenty of times. "Idiot" and "moron" tend to be MWG's favorites. 

Point is, I can take seeing my favorite movies being made fun of. After all, they're just movies!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:07pm
Most "Twilight Zone" episodes were all about people going about their daily lives until some kind of sci-fi based event happens and their world is turned upside down. And then there's some twist at the end that tells a life lesson ... pretty much the same formula that M. Nut has used in all his movies, although none as clever as what Serling came up with. I'm sorry if my comparison was not to your liking. 

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I rarely take issue with BHB, however I have to take exception to comparing this movie in any way to the old Twilight Zone series. There were some not-so-good episodes during it's five year run, but the worst of them was considerably better than anything M. Nut Shamalamadingdong has had his name on the past few years. Rod Serling was not only a pretty talented writer, but as a producer he knew a good story when he saw it, and how to translate it effectively onto the television screen. M Nut might have started with some capability, but he has most certainly lost it.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 8:44pm
One thing I've learned about movies as of late - I may OVER estimate how good a movie will end up being, but I haven't really UNDER estimated much in a long, long time. So I, at least, generally feel OK in condemning a lot of the movies that I have without having seen them yet. When that applies. That's in reference to BHB, anyway.

I don't know if y'all had noticed, but I haven't been around as much as I used to be, which has much more to do with my general despair in the movie industry, and movies seem so soulless, that there's rarely reason to comment.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>