Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEVIL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Satan Walks into This Elevator...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Satan Walks into This Elevator...
    Posted: September 13 2010 at 8:05am
EVEN WE, JADED AS WE ARE, CAN'T GET OUR HEADS AROUND HOW LAME the CONCEPT for DEVIL IS -- IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE a SET-UP LINE for ONE of THOSE "THE POPE, THE PRESIDENT and OSSAMA BIN LADEN" JOKES:  SATAN WALKS INTO an ELEVATOR, SEE, and... 

SINCE the "STORY" IS CREDITED to 5-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE (and 2-TIME RAZZIE® "WINNER") M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN, WE'RE EXPECTING SOMETHING on the CALIBER of a SCY-FY CHANNEL ORIGINAL MOVIE. BUT IT DOES RAISE a NUMBER of INTERESTING QUESTIONS: 

FIRST of ALL, WHY DOES the DEVIL NEED to TAKE an ELEVATOR -- WHAT, the STAIRS WERE OUT-of-ORDER??   

SECOND, DOESN'T SATAN HAVE a BETTER WAY of TROLLING for LOST SOULS THAN HANGING OUT in OFFICE BUILDINGS??  

THIRD, WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS an EVEN REMOTELY SCARY CONCEPT??

AND LASTLY -- and MOST IMPORTANTLY -- WHO the HELL IS STILL SPENDING MONEY to MAKE MOVIES BASED on IDEAS from the TWIT-MASTER of TWIST ENDINGS...OR, AS HIZ DWINDLING NUMBER of CLOSE FRIENDS CALL HIM..."M"??? 

WE SEEK ANSWERS -- and SNIDE COMMENTS -- from YOU BELOW...

ANGRY DUDE: "Okay, who the Hell farted -- It smells 
like the Devil in here! Oh, wait a minute..."  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 8:58am
As I said elsewhere, this movie looks like something more in line with what we want.  Now, the only question is, does anything else in this dumping ground of a weekend warrant our attention (not that we need anything else this year)??  

As to the plot twist, let me guess.  The Devil will turns out to be one of the people in the elevator.  If I'm right, that would be s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o cliché!!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: That's the "twist" implied in promotional materials for the film -- My money's on the red-haired older lady -- after all, she sure looks like Hell!!  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 11:51am
It's always a bad idea to make a movie with a "twist ending," and then let people know there's gonna be one...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 12:13pm
All they have to do is say that Shyamalan is involved, and everybody knows there will be a twist.  

We should start calling him Chubby Checker. . .   

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 12:56pm
Even though more than half the films he's made don't contain a twist??  

Originally posted by cvcjr13

All they have to say is that Shyamalan is involved and everybody knows there will be a twist.

We should start calling him Chubby Checker. . . . [QUOTE]

If you noticed, each character has red on them, the police's badge, the businessman's tie, the woman's scarf, etc.  

Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

That's the "twist" implied in promotional materials for the film -- My money's on the red-haired older lady -- after all, she sure looks like Hell!!  

Also, I'll like to point out this isn't being screened to the critics. I was about to post this before HeadRazz posted this thread for "Devil" but I guess he beat me to it. 

And to answer HeadRazz's questions above:

1. Why the hell does the Devil need to control peoples' bodies yet filmmakers keep making films about possessions.
2. See #1.
3. Umm....a lot of people. Let me point to you that there are people out there that already have a phobia over elevators and being stuck in them. Add the Devil into that equation and everything goes into chaos!
4. The studios. Duh.

Another thing to point out: Devil merely may be just a metaphor of calling someone "bad" in an extreme way. There's nothing to prove of what we've gotten now that the literal Devil is going to be in the movie. It's also interesting to point out that the concept is based off of Agatha Christie's "10 Little Indians," one of the best murder mysteries I've ever read.

I still have high hopes for this movie...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I, too, am a big fan of Agatha Christie's. So please explain to me how five people stranded in an elevator is in any way "based off of 10 LITTLE INDIANS," -- in which ten apparent strangers are invited to a remote island, then killed off one-by-one until only their host -- and his motive -- are left to be revealed...

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 1:49pm
To moviewizguy: Dude, Shyamalan has made "twist endings" his trademark. And once they started to suck (and could be seen from a mile away) everyone stopped caring. Then he just gave up as a writer altogether, and his movies have been unwatchable ever since.  

And I'll answer the questions, too. 

#1. Because it's a "WHAT A TWIST!". 

#2. Yeah, shouldn't the Devil be hanging out at, say, Wall Street or in Washington DC (or even Hollywood) instead? More than enough lost (or greedy) souls in those places! 

#3. So people who fear being stuck in elevators are going to pay to see a movie about their worst fear? Nah! Oh, and the Devil ... just another "WHAT A TWIST!".

And by your logic, every single horror/slasher movie in which a group of people are killed one by one must be based on "Ten Little Indians". Yet another example of you trying to make an MNS movie look more important (or better) than it really is. 

I wouldn't say you have high hopes, more like you're desperately clinging to hope!  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 1:58pm
Okay guys, let me pitch you one...the devil is walking down the street and stops at a hot dog stand....
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 1:58pm
BHB -- stop being so stupid. You know why people watch horror movies? Because by the end of the day, they feel safe. That's the entire point. Oh, people are scared of ghosts. PEOPLE STILL WATCH MOVIES ABOUT GHOSTS. You don't make much sense, BHB.

Why are you constantly shoving words down my throat? STOP DOING THAT! It's really annoying and wrong when you do that to people. You know why I mentioned "10 Little Indians"? When asked about the inspiration for the idea for this film, MNS said......wait for it....don't beat me to it...."10 Little Indians." You truly are narrow-minded. The similarities between the two are unparalleled and implying that going by "my logic" that every slasher would be based on "10 Little Indians" is more than idiotic. 

You truly are a piece of work, BHB. Now let's just wait for you to shove more words down my throat or find an excuse by saying what you wrote wasn't what you meant. We've all seen it all before. Unhappy
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 2:18pm
Am I just imagining the blatant similarities between Devil and 10 Little Indians? HeadRAZZ described 10 Little Indians sufficiently. Devil is about 5 (instead of 10) strangers stuck in a confined space (like the island) and being killed off one-b- one until -- well, we don't know the ending to Devil yet, do we? But it's apparent the inspiration for the film was "10 Little Indians." It's just confirmed by MNS in an interview.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Anyone can claim to have been "inspired" by a classic novel -- That doesn't mean their work is of a similar caliber, or even worthy of comparison. MWG, your naive acceptance of anything Hollywood spews out as self-promotion is both endearing and kinda scary. And, even though you took offense at BHB's horror/slasher analogy, he's more correct than you are here: If you buy M. Night's argument, the makers of all those FRIDAY THE 13th and HALLOWEEN sequels/remakes could claim Agatha inspired them as well -- After all, they all feature groups of people being killed off one-by-one in a confined setting...  

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 2:51pm
The Devil in the elevator, huh?  

There are far scarier things to worry about.  Imagine being in an elevator with an obese man.  The elevator breaks down and you are trapped. Oh, and that obese guy has been known to cause highrise evacuations with his flatulence.  

Then again would that still be better than watching this movie!!  

Also, over the years, the Devil has tried many different ways of trolling for souls...some lame, some good:  

(Re)Possessing a car, check.  

Going down to Georgia...check.  

Buying a soul for seven wishes...check. 

Etc.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 2:56pm
In other words, MWG, Shyamalan likes to take good stories, and ruin them: "The Birds" with "Happening" (or so he claims), "Avatar: The Last Air Bender" with "Last Fart Bender," etc.. Yep, you can't get any more Hollywood than that!  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 3:10pm
Well, people fear bees, so I guess a movie about people trapped in an elevator with bees should be made, too. Yeah, "Bees In an Elevator" -- Sounds kinda like "Snakes On a Plane", because people hate snakes and flying, you put the two together. Result = epic fail. Yeah, combining fears doesn't seem to make for good movies. Or maybe there should be "Bears On a Submarine"?  

As for "horror movies are all like Ten Little Indians", sorry, that's sound logic. For example, "Aliens", a group of people on a ship, there's an alien killing them off one by one. Hence, "Aliens" must be like "10 Little Indians". How about "Nightmare On Elms Street", or "Friday The 13th" or "Halloween", those all had groups of people dying one at a time. See what I mean? I say the things I say about you because you've made it a habbit of defending a filmmaker who is unworthy of being defended, to the point where you make these weird comparisons in order to make his work seem on the same level as someone else's masterpiece(s).  

Even if his last few movies are based on other movies or stories, he has repeatedly failed (on every level) to make a movie (or tell a story) that's anywhere close to being as good as what he claims "inspired" him. His career is in such a downward spiral that now the mere mention of his name makes people groan or laugh. 

What's next? Perhaps you'd like to defend Uwe Boll and declare every movie he has made is on a par with Alfred Hitchcock?  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 3:52pm
Burn and M.W.G....Do you two have to fight about everything?! Forget the premise! No matter how it sounds, it doesn't have anything to do with the final product. People watch horror movies to get scared -- Period. Who cares who created the "Trapped people" genre??  

On another subject, does anyone want to talk about the directors the Dowdle Bros.? They made QUARANTINE and THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES,two average passable horror movies.  

On the subject of M. Night's reviews, I don't want HeadRazz to start another debate on whether Rotten Tomatoes is worse than Metacritic or not, but the concensus points out that when Shyamalan fails, he does so wnth his writing or directing, not both.

And in order to defend Uwe Boll, he'd have to be compared to his idol, not Shyamalan's. I don't know who that would be, I just know his favorite movies and(of course) his favorite video-games. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Am I misunderstanding you, or are you actually arguing in this post that a film's concept "doesn't have anything to do with the final product"???  That's an argument that makes MWG's post seem studded with clear-headed logic!  If the basic premise doesn't work, nothing about the film will, either. 

Also, your claim that critics suggest Shyamalan's films fail due to either his writing or his directing (but never both) falls flat, since reviews on all three of his recent writing/directing gigs (LADY IN THE WATER, THE HAPPENING and LAST AIRBENDER) find fault with both the scripts and M. Night's "execution" of them... 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 5:39pm
Back on topic, please!  

The devil walks into an elevator.  He kills those who enter...I wonder if it's because he can't stand their farts?  

I predict this movie is going to be a laugher...does anyone even remember the days when M. Night was great?  It feels like eons ago!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 6:00pm
The difference is that the killer in both 10 Little Indians and Devil is one of the "strangers," and the fact that the victims in the slasher films you've mentioned aren't confined to one area... 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oh, come on!  In the FRIDAY THE 13th movies, the victims are all "confined" to Camp Crystal Lake. In the HALLOWEEN films, the victims are all "confined" to a specific house or neighborhood. In the SAW films, the victims are all "confined" to the killer's dungeon/torture chamber. Etc. Etc.  

MWG -- Please give up on this specious argument -- Shyamalan brought up TEN LITTLE INDIANS in a futile attempt to make his own work look classier. And the fact that you, alone among the world's population, choose to believe him makes you look foolish and, at best, semi-literate...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 8:05pm
Oh sorry, I forgot, the "confined area" element. Once again, "WHAT A TWIST!" Although, "Alien" was on a single space ship, so that can count as one area. And one of the ship's crew turned on the other and tried killing them. So, does that make this movie "Alien In An Elevator"?!?  

We all agree Shyamalan is not the next Spielberg. He is, in fact, the new Michael Cimino. He had a promising career ahead of him, but thanks to his ego getting too big for his own good, and making VERY BAD creative choices, he is now the laughing stock of the movie industry.  

Oh, and I know I already posted this in the "Fart Bender" forum, but it's so funny and true, it's worth a second look.  

Ah, this movie is going to fail so badly, it's almost a comedy!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>