Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > s-s-s-s-SNAKES ON A PLANE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??
    Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:21am

I remember Fer De Lance quite well, it was brutally awful. But around the same time a movie with a somewhat similar theme came out, which involved a woman and a couple of would be kidnappers who were trapped in an apartment building with a black mamba. Try as I might, I can't remember the title.

Also of the same vintage (1973, a year prior to Fer De Lance) is another snake oriented thriller directed by Bernard Kowalski entitled SSSSS. It stared Strother Martin as a professor who was experimenting to create some sort of human/cobra hybrid. He conducts his experiment on an unwitting college student played by Dirk Benedict.

The early to mid 70's were prime vintage for disaster/nature strikes back films, and snakes figured into the equation with some frequency.

addendum: It might be noted that as the result of Dino DeLaurentis' whims, even King Kong had to battle the worst oversized rubber snake in cinematic history in the awful 1976 remake. Indeed, Snakes On A Plane has a wealth of cinematic progenitors. But Fer De Lance does appear to be its closest ancestor.

addendum 2: after some feverish searching around the web, I found the title of the movie I was trying to recall. It was  Venom and was released in 1982, so it was probably also one of the errant children of Fer De Lance. But I think an interesting trend is presenting itself. Has anyone ever made a snake movie with an interesting title?

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Neofights View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neofights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 4:17pm
Too bad you can't give it an award right now, something like, The Most Popular Stinker That Has Yet To Be Screened.  The popularity and expectation of what obviously will be a B-movie is amazing.  Giving it an award beforehand would go hand-in-hand with everything else about this movie.  It's so long between now and when it's released, that the audience may grow tired of this movie before it had a chance to even see it.
messy-1 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote messy-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:18am

At the Cannes film festival, there were posters for the sequel: Snakes on a Train!!!!!

Personally, I'm waiting for a film based on the recent incident where a large pack of man-eating groundhogs attacked an old age home near Washington DC...

Response from Head RAZZberry: And the title could be...PORKY'S IV: THE RETIREMENT HOME MASSACRE?? 

ninjacat11 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninjacat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 5:34am
At least it's not another remake. :P
messy-1 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote messy-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 1:48pm
Flash!!!!: SOAP is NOT getting a press screening.
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:23pm

That's always a surefire sign it's "Razzie-Fodder".  

Response from head RAZZberry: As in, "Luke...I am your fodder"??

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
MJ Narcy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MJ Narcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 2:10am
I've heard that they are holding an advanced screening at ComicCon.  Instead of worrying about the critics, they're putting it directly in front of its likeliest fans.
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:43am
Personally, I can't WAIT to see this movie! Haven't been this excited about a film in a long time.
Fred Cooper
ninjacat11 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninjacat11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 11:52am
Me neither.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 4:15pm
Counting down to 8/18, I bet the theater will be packed solid!
ArtGirl138 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArtGirl138 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 4:26pm

Well, if this movie becomes a hit, then the studio executives will realize that they've hit upon an "ingenious" (note the quotation marks) way to draw moviegoers - give the movie a title so stupid, with a concept so ridiculous, that a fan following will arise BEFORE the release, thus assuring a large audience.

Soon, the movie theaters will be PACKED with stupid, laughable RAZZIE-worthy fare. So much, that less decent movies will be made, and award ceremonies such as the Oscars will be declared obsolete, leaving room only for the Razzies will be the only movie awards around!!!

Or not...I tend to come up with weird, slightly implausible theories.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, I think your theories make Berry Good Sense... 

Self-Proclaimed Cartoon Geek
MJ Narcy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MJ Narcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:57am
Originally posted by ArtGirl138

Well, if this movie becomes a hit, then the studio executives will realize that they've hit upon an "ingenious" (note the quotation marks) way to draw moviegoers - give the movie a title so stupid, with a concept so ridiculous, that a fan following will arise BEFORE the release, thus assuring a large audience.

Soon, the movie theaters will be PACKED with stupid, laughable RAZZIE-worthy fare. So much, that less decent movies will be made, ...

They already pack theaters with piles of Censored.  It won't matter if this movie will be an awful hit. 

Response from Head RAZZberry:  The scariest thing about S.O.A.P. possibly becoming a monster hit is that it could usher in the era of "post-production-by-Internet," meaning that studios will use the Net to "critic proof" their movies, by pandering to Internet post-ers' ideas for film after film, disregarding logic, plot-lines or anything even remotely approaching "artistic integrity." However foolish, pandering and indefensible Hollywood's current product is, the thought of nearly every movie reflecting the "vision" and "talent" of "No One in Particular" is indeed A Berry Scary Prospect... 

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

]

The scariest thing about S.O.A.P. possibly becoming a monster hit is that it could usher in the era of "post-production-by-Internet," meaning that studios will use the Net to "critic proof" their movies, by pandering to Internet post-ers' ideas for film after film, disregarding logic, plot-lines or anything even remotely approaching "artistic integrity." However foolish, pandering and indefensible Hollywood's current product is, the thought of nearly every movie reflecting the "vision" and "talent" of "No One in Particular" is indeed A Berry Scary Prospect... 

AMEN Brother RAZZ!!

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 11:08am

Does Pro Wrestling Legend Jake Roberts make a cameo? If so, I'm there, dudes!

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 3:18pm
Sorry, Jake is too busy finding his next rock of crack to smoke...

Then in a couple of months, you'll see him on the Jesus circuit again...

Then he goes back to the rocks...
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 12:48am

Here is a pic with Samuel Jackson and one of his new co stars from the upcoming S.O.A.P.

"Damn George...and here I thought Yoda was a grouch to work with!"

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>