Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2006 MOVIES w/LYNX! > s-s-s-s-SNAKES ON A PLANE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.O.A.P. Deliberately, Deliciously Bad??
    Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:21am

THE ONE MOVIE EVERYONE LOOKED FORWARD to SEEING THIS SUMMER... BECAUSE WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE A LAUGH RIOT. BUT DID S.O.A.P. LIVE DOWN to YOUR EXPECTATIONS??

Images from FARK.COM

Can any modern movie live up to the standards of intentional bad taste set by BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS? S.O.A.P. was that hardest-of-all-things-to-pull-off, A Deliberately Bad Movie that still managed to be wildly entertaining. We thought it should have slither into being the biggest hit of the year...What s-s-s-s-say you??

TO VOTE in OUR SNAKES POLL, CLICK HERE

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:44am
hmmm...at least two of the snakes on the Main Page poster aren't venomous, which makes the flight markedly less dangerous....
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:41am

Considering the crap Hollywood's been producing for the last few years, I'm inclined to believe SOAP went into production with plans for it to be sold as a "serious disaster drama" -- And only when they started getting Internet attention did New Line realize the upside of marketing it as a comedy...

Gotta give Samuel L. Jackson credit, though. Sounds like he knew from the minute he read the title on the screenplay's cover: I hear he argued with New Line when they wanted to change the title to something more generic, like FLIGHT 217. Good for him!

Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:44am
S.O.A.P. has the ironic potential to become the first film where audiences may complain it's not as BAD as they'd hoped!
Everything SUX!
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 3:46am
Uhhh...what's with this title, Snakes On A Plane? Just sounds too wierd. I mean, Snakes slithering around on a jet plane? C'mon, Hollywood, give me a break.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 6:23pm
Maybe we could have a new catergory: Worst Title.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
jeanericuser View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeanericuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:06pm

Ever see the musical, the producers? I think this is exactly what they are doing. They are banking on making a flop that only makes enough to cover costs for the studios and gives them a little extra cash left over for private expenses. Unfortunately, like springtime for hitler I think this one is definately gonna be a hit if only for the people seeing it to see exactly just how bad it is.

moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:53am
Nobody has mentioned the hilarious sketch on Saturday Night Live about this very subject. Will Farrell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows, et al, encounter, guess what, snakes on an airplane. After the snakes take over, the plane crashes, but in the rubble, one of the snakes survives, and talks directly to us. F-U-N-N-Y. I think this movie will slither its way into the hearts and underarms of America quite nicely. If it's half as funny as that sketch, it will be worth watching.
Fred Cooper
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 3:06am
Originally posted by jeanericuser

Ever see the musical, the producers?

I just had an inspiration! Snakes on a Plane, The Musical

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:24am
You mean we have to wait 5 more months for it? I just hope it will be worth the wait.
Fred Cooper
MJ Narcy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MJ Narcy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 4:13am
I see a potential problem with the poster.  Some people have a phobia of snakes.  They can't see even a picture of a snake without completely freaking out.  This is the first movie I know of that will negatively impact other movies.

We shall see.  Stern Smile
Berrynoia View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 8:31am

http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/303638

Click here and then go watch this minute long short about S.o.a.P.

Vidiot View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vidiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 4:27pm

When I heard of this movie I remembered a MOW I saw way back in the 70s. Ya I am that old.. "F" you! ;) ....anyhow, it was called "Fer De Lance". It was about Snakes on a Submarine. David Janssen, Hope Lange, Ivan Dixon (Hogans Heros), directed by Russ Mayberry. (1974)

So the "Snakes on a ___________" has already been done, and they simply dug up the MOW and moved the location to an airplane... and voila! You have S.O.A.P. !

It's not even an original idea.

Note from HeadRAZZberry: Here's the LINK to read the IMDb's Plot Summary for Fer de Lance...Sure sounds like S.O.A.P. was "inspired" by this old TV movie...

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:25pm
Fer De Lance was written by Leslie Stevens, the genius that gave us
Bolero, A Change of Seasons, The Incredible "Return to the Blue Lagoon"
and the immortal Cannon classic 'Three Kinds of Heat", all well deserved
Razzie contenders

OOPS, forgive me Head Razz--I forgot "Sheena" and I beg your pardon

Sadly, it was a long way downhill from his original movie work, "Private
Property", his clean up of Gore VIdal's controversial "The Left Handed
Gun" and the bizarre all-Esperanto "Incubus" to his TV work which
included Stoney Burke, Probe and the original (and best) OUTER LIMITS...

And, he formed Daystar, the first "Free-Independent" production
company, which broke the back of the "Studio System" and led to making
agencies like ICM and CAA the powerhouses they are today.

and... ANY original Outer Limits episode is far better than the current
crap on TV today
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 12:53am

Here's an IMDb LINK to check out credits for Leslie Stevens. And here's the IMDb LINK to see his RAZZIE Nominations.

Joe -- You left out SHEENA (which is listed among the 100 Funniest Bad Movies Ever Made in THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE MOVIE GUIDE) for which Stevens received one of his well-deserved Worst Screenplay RAZZIE Nods...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 1:17am

I just looked up FER DE LANCE in my crumbling copy of LEONARD MALTIN'S 1985-86 TV MOVIES (the old equivalent of the annual Maltin Guide). In those days, before VHS and DVD, Maltin also rated movies made for TV. They gave LANCE a rating of "Below Average" and summarized it thusly: "Suspense tale about a submarine wedged below the sea, terrorized from within by deadly snakes. Ridiculous story and characters, with creepy-crawlers, for those who like that kind of thing."

It's also listed in one of my favorite Bad Movie Reference Books, Michael Weldon's PSYCHOTRONIC ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FILM. Weldon calls FER DE LANCE "Television's dumbest diaster film. It's about snakes on a submarine!"

And I looked up the title in my 1993 edition of TELEVISION PROGRAMMING SOURCE BOOK: FILMS (an industry reference book for TV station programmers). It says that before it went into synication, FER DE LANCE aired on network TV twice, drawing about 14 million viewers the first time, and 9 million the second.

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>