Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SOME BAD CHOICES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOME BAD CHOICES
    Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:51pm

XANADU should've won more awards for 1980 -- Especially "Worst Song!" 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 3:28pm
I would protest against I DON'T WANNA MISS A THING being nominated as Worst Song for 1998 -- but since it was also nominated for an Oscar and is considered one of the greatest rock songs, I'm OK with it.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 12:59pm
The razzie voters have made some huge mistakes over the last couple of years in deciding what they think is "bad cinema". Here are some:

Tom Cruise in War of the worlds (what was wrong with that, there was a great amount of intesity in his performance).

Ben Stiller in Dodgeball and Anchorman (The performance was meant to be over the top and look dumb btw).

The Star Wars Prequels (they arent as good as the originals, but the visuals deliver and its better than most summer films).

William Shater in various Star Treks (Your kidding, right? What makes those films so bad? What makes him so bad? The dude is a legend, and it's not because he sucks at acting, like you seem to think, or makes funny albums).

The Blair Witch Project ( I'm pretty sure you  stand alone here Mr. Head Razz dude. This film changed horror cinema and I dare you to go camping after seeing this one).
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 1:04pm
I also left out the new Indiana Jones movie. Heavens no, there are Aliens! I'm sure that that looks stupid and corny even though our archeologist has seen weirder stuff in his day (don't you just love my sarcasm). As for the "nuke the fridge" scene, Indy has been through more difficult situations than that, and ones way more unbeleivable. To not like that scene is to miss the point of all four movies!
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
Mraspiringactor View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mraspiringactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 1:27pm
I still don't think Jim Carrey deserved a razzie.

Also while Maria Pitillo was bad in Godzilla there were other cast members that were more worthy of a razzie.

Also The Hunchback of Notre Dame being nominated for Worst Screenplay.
Kevin Higgins.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 1:30pm
Okay, the Tom Cruise thing for that year was more about his infamous couch jumping, rather than his acting in that movie. Ben Stiller, I guess the voters for that year thought he getting annoying, considering he starred in something like 6 movies that year alone. Star Wars Prequels, no, sorry they deserved to be Razzed, they can have all the pretty CGI they want, they failed on every other level of filmmaking. William Shater, the man who needs to take a breath in between every other word. Have you seen the 5th Star Trek movie? It sucks! And Blair Witch ... it's three morons in the woods screaming about nothing. Paranormal Activity was a thousand times scarier, most people who saw it had trouble sleeping later that night. Blair Witch, people were laughing at it after leaving the theaters. So yeah, I'll give you 1 out of 5.  

Originally posted by ramonesun

The razzie voters have made some huge mistakes over the last couple of years in deciding what they think is "bad cinema". Here are some:

Tom Cruise in War of the worlds (what was wrong with that, there was a great amount of intesity in his performance).

Ben Stiller in Dodgeball and Anchorman (The performance was meant to be over the top and look dumb btw).

The Star Wars Prequels (they arent as good as the originals, but the visuals deliver and its better than most summer films).

William Shater in various Star Treks (Your kidding, right? What makes those films so bad? What makes him so bad? The dude is a legend, and it's not because he sucks at acting, like you seem to think, or makes funny albums).

The Blair Witch Project ( I'm pretty sure you  stand alone here Mr. Head Razz dude. This film changed horror cinema and I dare you to go camping after seeing this one).
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 3:04pm
I find it rather funny how you think Mr. Shatners acting sucks. Its very good, and one really only needs to see several star trek episodes and one very great twilight zone episode to know that. His breathing schtick is overplayed by comedians, the media, and shatner himself, though he dosnt really do it that often. And if you think Star Trek 5 sucked, why dont you go ahead and compare it to the summer movies you see now. You'll be happy to find that its a bit more complex and well acted than todays drek. Secondly, there would be no paranormal activity without the blair witch project, and similar to what you said about the BWP, paranormal activity is nothing more than a fat chick and an obnoxious bf screaming in a house they can run out of (and should have). I find it also hilarious that you said people had trouble sleeping after seeing it, I got quite the opposite response from all my friends and associates. Lastly, the star wars prequels didnt fail on every level. Sure the dialouge sucked, and the acting wasnt so perfect either, but you could say the same about the original films (with the exception of  truly memorable one liners and alec guiness as obi wan, ford as solo, and frank oz doing the voice of yoda, and james earl jones doing the voice of vader). We love the star wars films because they appeal to the child in us as well as having sensational effects and characters rooted in civilizations oldest mythology, not because of grand acting or dialouge. It's incredible how Lucas was able to even tie all the films together...just think about how one event led to the other and so forth until we arrived at the events of a new hope. Remarkable. There were worse films that year and you know it.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:14pm
People didn't like the 4th Indiana Jones because Indy worked mostly in fantasy element, then was brought into this sci-fi world. Not to mention ants, I don't care how many there are or how strong people claim they are, can't carry a 300 lb. Russian man away into their ant hill. Also, Shia "No-No-No-No-No-No" Lebeouf doing his best, worst Tarzan impression. And the "nuke the fridge", sorry, most eye rolling scene in the movie. Yes, he had done some other outlandish stuff in the other movies that could be chalked up to fantasy elements, but this ... come on!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:27pm

it was the 50's: the golden age of Sci Fi. Of course they were gonna have aliens! No one cares about ants and nukes doing things they cant do, because if all the other movies followed natural laws, then Indy would be dead by now.

FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:27pm
1. If Shanter is such a great actor, his breathing wouldn't be the running gag of his career, now would it? No, he would be a respected actor, remembered for a diverse career. And guess what, he isn't! Also, "Star Trek 5" is universally considered the worst of the series by critics and fans alike. Any "ST" movie before or after it blows it out of the water. And considering most movies today are s*** remakes, sequels, or reboots, it's not hard to say that the worst "ST" of all time is somewhat better than the s*** movies of today.
2. Yes, there would be no "Paranormal Activity" without "Blair Witch", but "PA" greatly improved the idea in which "BW" fell short on. There's a sense of realism, it has more dialounge other than idiots screaming "f***" every second, and it uses a primal fear that is universal to all us humans: what does go on when we're asleep and helpless. As for your friends' reactions compared to my friends' reactions, well, that's just difference of opinions of what's scary.
3. Okay, so you admit that the "Star Wars" prequels suck, yet we shouldn't consider them to be Razzie worthy? This makes sense to you? Yes, there were plenty bad films those years, but the "SW" ranks right next to them. If you admit that they suck, then there's no point in defending them.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:29pm

it was the 50's: the golden age of Sci Fi. Of course they were gonna have aliens! No one cares about ants and nukes doing things they cant do, because if all the other movies followed natural laws, then Indy would be dead by now.
Because it was a fantasy series, based on magic, which can't be explained. Now he's in a more realistic sci-fi realm and he's doing things that not even people who write sci-fi would agree could happen.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:31pm
the movies were based around serials like buck rogers and flash gordon... both of them sci fi. And how can u call nuking the fridge more realistic?
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:42pm

Shatner isnt just remembered for his breathing! That was something he started as a joke and people took way too far. The man was famous beofre star trek, he was a serious broadway actor, and appeared in critically acclaimed episodes of the twilight zone and the outer limits. He is now in other shows such as boston legal and sh*t my dad tells me (or whatever its called), which have received rave reviews due to his performances. To say that shatner isnt good because he is mostly remembered for star trek is to say alec guiness isnt a good actor cause people mostly remember him for playing obi wan (and we all know that is bs). Also, i didnt say the prequel trilogy was great or perfect, im just saying it wasnt bad enough to deserve a razzie, or even the huge amount of negative criticism its given, when there were other films out there that actually did suck and werent nominated. Lastly, your telling me paranormal activity has a sense of realism...even though there were hidden ghosts and demons?  The Blair witch project also touches a universal fear, an even bigger and broader one than PA's: What you don't see can be the scariest thing of all and that mankind is still extremely afriad of the nature and the wilderness.

FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:45pm
I can't, that's why no one took Indy #4 seriously. I mean more "realistic" as in stepping away from magic.  

the movies were based around serials like buck rogers and flash gordon... both of them sci fi. And how can u call nuking the fridge more realistic?
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:48pm
The most magic to be seen was the kind in the temple of doom: arguably the worst received of the series. So it seems people had trouble with fantasy as well. So i don't think it has anything to do with that. I think people came in weary simply cause indy was old, which is dumb, because the film was clearly a labor of love from speilberg and lucas
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:53pm
1. Yes Shatner was a good actor, but if he was a great actor, he wouldn't allow himself to be typecast like he was. All other actors and actresses who have played Star Trek captains since him were able to make their characters be taken seriously, rather than be seen as campy.  

2. Okay, you're telling me that Darth Vader (considered by many to be the greatest movie villain of all-time) being played like a whiny, emo brat doesn't warrant a Razzie?  

3. Let me get this straight, "Blair Witch", which was about campers looking for a WITCH is more real than ghosts and demons? I take it you never heard of such shows as "Ghost Hunters", "Paranormal State", "Most Haunted", etc. To some people, hauntings are a very real thing and there are even professionals who track ghost activity. Fear of what happens in the afterlife, and violence caused by ghosts, are just as extreme fears as the uncontrolled forces of nature.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>