Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > POLL: SPECIAL CATEGORIES for 2010 / 31st RAZZIES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Special Category for 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which Should We Include on The 31st RAZZIES Ballot?
Vote Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[35.85%]
[2.12%]
[49.06%]
[10.85%]
[2.12%]

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Category for 2010
    Posted: August 16 2010 at 11:41am
Why not mock the SAG awards, too? I mean if you're going to use Worst Couple as an excuse to say EVERYONE on-screen sucked, you might as well make Worst Cast an official catagory, since Worst Couple seems more like an MTV Movie Award catagory (Best Duo Or Team) than an Oscar catagory...

Who says movies like INCEPTION, THE OTHER GUYS or SCOTT PILGRIM can't be nominated in acting categories,including "Worst Ensemble"? 

Because those movies (well, "Other Guys" might be an exception) didn't have bad performances from the entire casts. No one in "Inception" stunk up the screen and "Scott Pilgrim" just suffers from being on a caffine high.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 10:40am
In the SAG Awards, there are nominees for Best Ensemble/Cast. Here, I sense you'd nominate bad movies even if there's one or two good performances. You have already awarded well-reviewed movies with bad acting awards. Who says movies like INCEPTION, THE OTHER GUYS or SCOTT PILGRIM can't be nominated in acting categories, including "Worst Ensemble"?  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 11:12pm
You could argue the same (well, opposite technically) for the Ensemble category at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
JoeBoyden View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBoyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 10:01pm

Burn, I see what you mean. But, personally I'm not a big fan of a "Worst Cast" category. You can have a bad or mediocre movie, with several bad or wooden performances, which nevertheless has a good (sometimes great) performance that saves it or at least makes it watchable: Vittorio de Sica in A Farewell to Arms, Joan Plowright in The Scarlet Letter, J.K. Simmons in New in Town, Billy Burke in Twilight, Marion Cotillard in A Good Year, just to name a few.

This year, Hector Elizondo proved once again what a good, reliable actor he is by giving a good performance in Valentine’s Day -- in spite of the terrible lines he was given. So it would be kind of unfair to include him in a potential Worst Cast category together with the Kutcher/Alba/Lopez/Swift/Lautner combo.

My Picks... so far:
Worst Picture BUCKY LARSON
Worst Actor Shia LaBeouf
Worst Actress Martin Lawrence
Worst Sup Actor John Turturro
Worst Sup Actress Vanessa Hudgens
Worst Director Michael Bay
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 5:24pm
That's why I argue that "Worst Couple" is a cop-out. It's almost all ways "lead star and everyone he/she shares screen-time with." Or when you have the entire male cast for Worst Actor or the entire female cast for Worst Actress, it just doesn't make sense. Worst Ensemble Cast would save up a lot of space on the ballots in the solo performance catagories and would still mock a bunch of people without have to take short cuts like those a mentioned above. And considering the large amount of movies featuring "all-star" casts that have been released this year (apparently the newest marketing gimmick in Hollywood, along with overdosing on 3-D), it's not like there's a shortage of ensemble casts to vote for...  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 5:07pm
What's the point of having "Worst Cast" if a lot times "Worst Couple" nominates the lead and anyone else.There's also times when they nominate any pair of characters.

I liked Oiram's idea.After,several awards have done it.
rburton View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rburton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 7:24pm
You can say that again! 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

2. 3-D is nothing but an excuse to jack ticket prices up and it does nothing to enhance the movie. Anyone who saw "Clash of the Titans" will tell you that. And we have two guys here who will be more than happy to tell you 3-D didn't help matters for "Alice In Wonderland" either.
For Your Consideration

Dev Patel for WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR in The Last Fartbender
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:39pm
Responding to Vits' points above:  

1. We still have yet to have a good rom-com this year. Not one so far.

2. 3-D is nothing but an excuse to jack ticket prices up and it does nothing to enhance the movie. Anyone who saw "Clash of the Titans" will tell you that. And we have two guys here who will be more than happy to tell you 3-D didn't help matters for "Alice In Wonderland" either.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 3:01pm
For every genre there's at least one good movie each year. That has always been the case for rom-com and horror. Well,maybe 2005 is the exception for the latter. Anyway those shouldn't be categories. Among the "Worst Picture" nominees there will definately be a rom-com. So the winner for "Worst Rom-Com" will be obvious. Although that happens with pretty much every award.

"Worst 3D Movie" shouldn't be either. When one decides the best and worst movies they can be divided by genre. But 3D is a technique that doesn't have to do with filmmaking itself. It's true that some movies are made with being in 3D in their minds and that makes them film the movie a different way the wanted. Still.

The reason to separate "Worst Remake Or Rip-Off" and "Worst Sequel Or Prequel" is because they're similar but not the same. Besides,that gives us the chance to nominate more movies. The problem is that the winners tend to be obvious. However,now that most movies enter in those categories and they tend to be bad it could be like last year in which 3 of the nominees were also up for "Worst Picture".
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 1:49pm
Well, as much I would like the winner to be 3-D abusing, since all it does is "help" the box office grossing by doubling the ticket price so that bad movies do well, it seems voters here hate rom-coms even more.
-1 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote -1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:34am
I gotta go with Rom-Com. They are getting worse and worse, to the point where it is very rare to see one without a sub-20% RT score. 

Meanwhile, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but horror movies seem to be in a minor bounceback, with Daybreakers, The Crazies, and Shutter Island all being respectable films. But Paranormal 2, Saw VII (in 3D!), and Piranha 3D are still to come, so Winter '10 must have been an isolated incident. 

3D on the other hand, while annoying, has little to do with the quality of one's filmmaking, and is more of an excuse for the lack there-of (barring the occaisons when the movie is actually enjoyable, such as MBV and Avatar).

Also, I don't really see the need to separate the Remake/Rip-Off/Sequel/Prequel into two categories as a special occasion. 
One push is all you need.....
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 5:31pm
If they are only released in their native countries, it's going to be hard for Americans, and people outside of those countries to see and vote for them.  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 3:37pm
Anyone in for "Worst Foreign Film"?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The concept of a Worst Foreign Film RAZZIE® has arisen repeatedly over the three decades we've done our awards. The problem is that, if it truly sucks, a foreign film is unlikely to ever achieve even limited theatrical release in the US, let alone a release wide enough for a substantial number of our Voting Members to ever see it. Thus the idea of including such a category is inherently a waste of time... 
gloriashern2 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote gloriashern2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 4:11am
Great Post.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 11:59am
Not just that -- it doesn't even add anything to the movie, beside cheap tricks that they have been doing in 3-D movies since the gimmick was invented -- ie. actors pointing at the screen, or playing with yo-yos or paddle-balls!  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Yet another horrifying attempt to jump on the cash cow. I can only stand for it if they truly put forth the effort to make it 3D-compliant. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 8:50pm
Yet another horrifying attempt to jump on the cash cow. I can only stand for it if they truly put forth the effort to make it 3D-compliant. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>