Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > MEMBER-STARTED DISCUSSIONS of 2012 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Special Member-started Discussion: Intouchables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Member-started Discussion: Intouchables
    Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:34pm
This film came to my attention a couple of months ago when The Harvey Weinstein Company purchased it.

The film can be considered a big succes being the highest grossing French film ever made (second highest if adjusted for inflation) and the highest grossing foreign langauge film (beating out Spirited Away), For weeks it was the most attented film in a handful of other European countries (which is a hard thing to achieve in a continent as divided as Europe), It's star Omar Sy won an Ceasar (French equivelant of the Oscar) over The Artist's Jean Dujardin and has recently claimed a spot on the IMDB top 250...

Some sources even suggested that it's Harvey Weinstein's next Oscar-baiter (which IMO is very unlikely because of it's early release-date) There is however one problem...American critics seem to HATE this movie...

There are currently two reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes, which I admit isn't much, but both reviews seem to be quite unanimous about why they hate this movie... They found the movie (about a black ex-convict taking care of a wheelchairbound milionaire) racially insensative and offensive... And if I am correct this opinion might stick around for some of the reviews that are still to come...

So... here is my question... If a movie is liked by people and critics in Europe but hated by American critics (imagine it having an RT-rating of below 30%) can it still be considered a bad movie?

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:53pm

When it comes to the subject of things Europeans liked that Americans hated, let me toss out two things: Momma Mia! and soccer. "Nuf said. LOL

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 3:55pm
I actually kept my eye on the film, and I guess it all boils down to culture and how other cultures perceive the film.
Originally posted by Vheid

This film came to my attention a couple of months ago when The Harvey Weinstein Company purchased it.
The film can be considered a big succes being the highest grossing French film ever made (second highest if adjusted for inflation) and the highest grossing foreign langauge film (beating out Spirited Away), For weeks it was the most attented film in a handful of other European countries (which is a hard thing to achieve in a continent as divided as Europe), It's star Omar Sy won an Ceasar (French equivelant of the Oscar) over The Artist's Jean Dujardin and has recently claimed a spot on the IMDB top 250...

Some sources even suggested that it's Harvey Weinstein's next Oscar-baiter (which IMO is very unlikely because of it's early release-date) There is however one problem...American critics seem to HATE this movie...

There are currently two reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes, which I admit isn't much, but both reviews seem to be quite unanimous about why they hate this movie... They found the movie (about a black ex-convict taking care of a wheelchairbound milionaire) racially insensative and offensive... And if I am correct this opinion might stick around for some of the reviews that are still to come...

So... here is my question... If a movie is liked by people and critics in Europe but hated by American critics (imagine it having an RT-rating of below 30%) can it still be considered a bad movie?

Post Reply Post Reply