Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Is TOM Cruisin' 4-a RAZZin' ?!?!?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

STOP the negative buzz for Valkyrie!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STOP the negative buzz for Valkyrie!
    Posted: November 11 2007 at 8:09am

Okay, I admit, Tom Cruise will probably be bland in the lead role. That has happened many times before. But why is the board saying negative things about Valkrie, just because of Tom Cruise? I saw the trailer, and it look good. The great supporting cast will make up for a bland Tom Cruise, and Bryan Singer is a very capable director.

Why does the Home Page say that this is serious competition for Rambo IV? This will be miles better! 

Response from Head RAZZberry: RAZZIE "winner" Tom Cruise has alwaze been, in my opinion and that of millions of others, a mediocre actor at best. When asked to come up with an accent for VALKYRIE, he seems not to have made even a minimal effort. Add to this the oddly rumpled hairstyle (perhaps the German expression would be "Bad Herr Day"?) and the ridiculous eye patch (Fealess Leader, anyone?) and you've got the basis for a likely 2008 Worst Actor nod for Ol' Tommy Boy. And not even a stellar supporting cast (including Kenneth Brannaugh, Tom Wilkinson, Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard and Terence Stamp) can save a movie whose central character is played by a dilletante movie star who can't even be bothered to work on something as elemental as an accent appropriate to a 1940s German officer. As for Bryan Singer being "a very capable director," USUAL SUSPECTS was a good movie, but anyone who saw the travesty that was SUPERMAN RETURNS might choose to argue with you about that assessment still being apt.

Having worked as a trailer-maker myself for several decades now, I think I can spot when a movie's gonna stink, just from seeing what's included in the trailer. And given what's in this trailer, VALYRIE looks worthy of ANY scorn we heap upon it...

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 10:30am

Okay, I can see this being an average and/or forgetable thriller where the ambitions are greater than the results. Many of those come out every year. However, I do not see this as being something that should get razzie attention. I believe that it is mainly getting attention because of Tom Cruise. I do dislike him but this board has way too much prejudice against his movies.

Superman Returns was not a "travesty", it was merely a dissapointment. Every good director has their share of dissapointments. I really enjoyed The Usual Suspects and the first two X-men movies and I am looking foward to seeing another Singer film that is not a comic book adaptation.

As for Tom Cruises non-accent, I would actually rather not hear him attempt a German accent. I will be better for my ears. And think about this: those officers would be speaking German and to the Germans they would sound like what American officers sound like to us. For an American movie, having them speak with German accents would  be narrow-minded.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:07am

I'm sorry, I disagree.  If this were a movie about Americans in the Southern U.S., I expect the movie to get the accent and dialect of the region correct.  If this were a movie about French, I'd expect English spoken with a French accent.  If this were a movie set in Japan, I'd expect English spoken with a Japanese accent.  If this were a movie about Russia, I'd expect English spoken with a Russian accent.

Now, there's an argument whether Cruise is actually attempting a German accent or not.  But one thing I agree with most of the others who watched that clip, and that is, attempt or not, it's NOT a German accent.  All the other actors in that clip spoke with an accent. 

Then again, all those other actors can act.  Tom Cruise has always played Tom Cruise.  It worked in Rain Man, but you'd think after awhile he would hone his craft.

Let me put this another way.  Maybe someone can come up with other titles, but the only movie I can think of where the cast played Germans and almost all of them spoke English with no accent at all was Grand Hotel.  Yes, it's Oscar win was controversial, but my point is that it takes an enormous amount of acting talent on the part of all the performers to pull off something like that.  And I submit that Grand Hotel did not really depend on its location, either.  Valkyrie does.

Originally posted by jb razz

As for Tom Cruises non-accent, I would actually rather not hear him attempt a German accent. I will be better for my ears. And think about this: those officers would be speaking German and to the Germans they would sound like what American officers sound like to us. For an American movie, having them speak with German accents would  be narrow-minded.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:43am

This has almost become a fill in the blank proposition...Tom Cruise, Sly Stallone, Lindsey Lohan, Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe....They are getting the scorn they have asked for with their actions and attitudes. When we express our disapproval towards these people, their actions and their projects, I believe that we send a message to the studios and actors themselves that we have grown weary of their nonsense. That is the first step toward bringing about some degree of change.

For all of them, the solution is remarkably simple. If you don't want us taking pot shots, quit loading the gun for us.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 12:46pm

I actually want Tom Cruise to be brought down...but not by this movie.  I feel too much sympathy for Bryan Singer, Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branaugh, Eddie Izzard, Stephen Fry, Tom Wilkinson, Terrence Stamp and Carice Van Houten.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

For all of them, the solution is remarkably simple. If you don't want us taking pot shots, quit loading the gun for us.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 4:12pm

I dunno, jb razz, I'd think this is going to be a "one" in a "one-two" punch.  I don't think just only one dud is going to bring him down.

Originally posted by jb razz

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I actually want Tom Cruise to be brought down, but not by this movie.  I feel too much sympathy for Bryan Singer, Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branaugh, Eddie Izzard, Stephen Fry, Tom Wilkinson, Terrence Stamp and Carice Van Houten.

Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 5:17pm
STOP the negative buzz for Valkyrie!

Why? 

So you don't mind going into films where you have to wait for the leading clown to leave the scene in order to turn the movie into something watchable. Apparently others disagree with you:
And not even a stellar supporting cast (including Kenneth Brannaugh, Tom Wilkinson, Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard and Terence Stamp) can save a movie whose central character is played by a dilletante movie star(...)

While other actors take preparations seriously I have the feeling that Mighty Midget only watched episodes of "McGywer" to prepare for this role. I want Cruise taken down, no doubt. But because of his long years and experience in film I thought and feared that he might actually do something with this. And what I saw in this trailer is worse than everything I hoped, ahem, I meant, "expected", of course.

You know, even at the risk of sounding elitist here, I believe, that it's no problem for an intelligent actor to play somebody stupid. But I always suspected that a stupid actor was incapable of portraying an intelligent character: Mighty Midget delivers the proof.

As far as his other film is concerned, here you go: Straight from Perez:
http://perezhilton.com/?p=8593#more-8593

Here's a review and the poster for Crui$emeister's other film:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309859,00.html

Cindy Adams said Cruise could have been replaced by a paper bag.

Photocredits: BERLITZFRENCH

Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 12:52pm
It is being directed by Bryan Singer, so this might actually be a good
movie.
ryanasr View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ryanasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 9:14pm
Stephen Fry Sucks
 Post Reply Post Reply