Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND of CHUN-LI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

STREET FIGHTER...or STREET WALKER??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STREET FIGHTER...or STREET WALKER??
    Posted: February 27 2009 at 1:41pm
I've seen plenty of commercials for it. It's also rockin a goose egg at RT.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 10:43am
There are no commercials for this movie nor any publicity...I think it'll bomb because I wouldn't have known this movie would be released this week if I didn't look at dates.
JakeSpeed View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeSpeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 3:20am

Back before the dawn of recorded time... on the advice of one of my sisters who I was visiting at the time, I took her son out to see the first Street Fighter, on opening day if I remember.  I can only presume he hasn't forgiven either one of us to this day for subjecting him to that singular horror.

My nephew's well over 18 now, so if he goes out today to see this new one...it'll be his own damn fault!!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 12:41am
Sorry for the double post, but I just read HeadRazz's picture caption. Comedic gold, good sir, I tip my hat to you.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 12:39am
I used to believe in trying to see a movie every week, but I just can't do it anymore in good conscience. H-Wood is screwing us in every way they can, and when we get over-saturated in this increasingly crass metaphor, they make like a Marquis de Sade story and open up new wounds to screw. It's just bad idea after bad idea with these people. Don't get me wrong, they still sneak a good one in here and there, but there are just SOOOOO many movies being made these days, and so much time and money is wasted on them.
This movie being a prime example. I LOVE Street Fighter games. I sold off over half of my old video games to buy Street Fighter II for the SNES when I was a kid, and I ended up paying like, $75 for it back then... Not a special edition or anything, just the game itself. That's just what it cost, and it was worth every penny to me. I broke a ton of controllers playing it, and even broke a TV playing it (Because Bison was such a bitch ). And then they started trying to make stories out of it...
There was the Street Fighter movie, which, when I was younger I forced myself to say "Well... uhhh... it wasn't THAT bad." My opinion has of course changed.
Then they came out with the American cartoon version, which I strongly urge you all to look up on YouTube. I didn't watch it when it was out, but looking at some clips, it made for some of the most monumentally awesomely bad TV in history. I put it in the "It's so bad, it's not good, it's great" category.
Then there was a Japanese cartoon, it was so-so, but no one ever saw it, and I got bored trying to watch it anyway.
Finally, we get to Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, which is pathetic even in the title. There's no "legend" about Chun Li, she's a girl from China who works for Interpol trying to bring down Bison (AKA Vega in Japan, they switched a bunch of names around for the American version) and that's it. She's not a mythical being from the Land of Wind and Ghosts. I have never understood the need to make obnoxious, cliche titles like this that don't actually suit the needs of subject matter. The timing of this movie alone baffles me, as Street Fighter's popularity peaked a LOOOONG time ago. There is the new Street Fighter IV just out now, and I've played it a tiny bit... It's good... but it's not going to be a game that revolutionizes the entertainment industry like the SFII series. So why are they even doing this now? I'd love an answer to that, I sure as Hell don't have one. I'm sure this movie will make some money because the Mike Judge Prophecies of Idiocracy seem to be coming true.

On an off note, some friends of mine and I went to see DOA in the theaters for kicks and giggles, and that was as bad as I'd hoped it was. I don't feel too bad about seeing that though, because I don't think it even broke $1m in the US. I've seen enough fighting game movies for my lifetime, I think.
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 4:01am

Watchmen is already getting good reviews on RT, so I think it will be worth seeing. As far Street Fighter goes, I expect it's going to be beat by Those Jonas Brothers in 3D...  

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Well, the sad thing about this movie, is I know it is gonna be crap, but that won't stop me from driving down to Ye Ol' Multiplex to see it on opening day, mainly because I see a movie every week, and this sadly looks to be the only one of the two wide releases that has even a slight shred of hope to be anywhere near decent... Watchmen better save this year.... otherwise, I may have to give up on movies.

Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 1:28am

I actually do like Robin Shou as Lu Kang in the MK movies but the fact that there haven't been any good video game movies (with the exception of the first Mortal Kombat film) doesn't supress my hopes for this film.

"You come to theaters as a good movie, and instead turn out to be a horrible movie? Do you still refuse to accept this film's awfulness? Keep your own movie! In fact, this time may be a good time to pray that this film bombs! For I beheld Satan as he fell from Heaven like lightning!!!!!" Ah, Raul Julia. We'll miss you, old man.

Originally posted by Michaels

By the way, this is the third video game movie Robin Shou has been in. The first two were "Mortal Kombat" (and it's much inferior sequel) and "DOA: Dead Or Alive". This is becoming his M.O., like Carmen Electra being in all the Seltzerberg movies.

CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 10:24pm
Shouldn't movies be in quotes after the name Seltzerberg? I mean, can one seriously call that filth movies? :)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 5:54pm
Basically, this movie is a trainwreck. People know it's going to suck, but fans of the video game series will go see it anyway just to see how badly it'll suck. Plus, it's hard to turn down the supernatural beauty of Kristin Kreuk and Moon Bloodgood. By the way, this is the third video game movie Robin Shou has been in. The first two were "Mortal Kombat" (and it's much inferior sequel) and "DOA: Dead Or Alive". This is becoming his M.O., like Carmen Electra being in all the Seltzerberg movies.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 5:32pm
Well, the sad thing about this movie, is I know it is gonna be crap, but that won't stop me from driving down to Ye Ol' Multiplex to see it on opening day, mainly because I see a movie every week, and this sadly looks to be the only one of the two wide releases that has even a slight shred of hope to be anywhere near decent... Watchmen better save this year.... otherwise, I may have to give up on movies.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 5:27am

STILL RECUPERATING from HAVING JUST STAGED OUR 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE SHOW (and STILL FIGHTING OFF a VICIOUS HEAD COLD) WE'RE GOING with SEVERAL FORUM MEMBERS' SUGGESTION for OUR WORST of the WEAK: A BY-the-NUMBERS  VIDEO-GAME-BASED ACTIONER from the MAN WHO DIRECTED MELANIE GRIFFITH to HER FIRST WORST ACTRESS RAZZIE® 17 YEARS AGO, STREET FIGHTER: LEGEND of CHUN-LI ENTERS the FRAY WITH MULTIPLE STRIKES AGAINST IT. AND by YEAR's END, WE BET NO ONE BUT the PEOPLE INV OLVED in MAKING IT WILL EVEN REMEMBER IT EXISTED...

BUT FORGETTABLE CAN BE a REASONABLE CRITERIA for RAZZIE® CONSIDERATION. SO CONSIDER YOURSELVES INVITED: HAVE AT IT...

DUNCAN: "Next one who asks 'What the f**k happened to your career, man?' gets a cap right up his ass!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567