Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND of CHUN-LI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

STREET FIGHTER...or STREET WALKER??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STREET FIGHTER...or STREET WALKER??
    Posted: March 22 2009 at 2:46am
Little?!?!?!? Look down to the next post after the one you quoted... That's NOT a photoshop, seriously!
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 3:12am
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Little?!?!?!? Look down to the next post after the one you quoted... That's NOT a photoshop, seriously!
I call anyone under about 6'5 little. Sure that picture may present a scary image, he'd still be little in my book.
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
coolinout1 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote coolinout1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:17am

In anticipation of the film, my friends and I rented the original "Street Fighter" film from 1994, although we knew the new film had no connection to it other than the "Street Fighter" name. While I liked that film as a child, seeing it again showed how much it had aged, but nonetheless, still provided the signature characters, costumes & fighting moves displayed in the game.

After seeing the television commercials for the "Legend of Chun-Li" film, I didn't really have any high hopes for the film, except for maybe the off-chance that it might surprise and be enjoyable. Additionally, hearing from friends and reviews that the film was really bad, I held off seeing it in theaters (03/12/09) until it got to that point where I thought theater owners would kick it out (after only two weeks). So, my friends and I decided to see it on that Thursday, not expecting any greatness.

And wow...it went so far below my low expectations that I didn't think it'd be possible. Seriously, you would think that the filmmakers intentionally wanted to ruin the "Street Fighter" name.

Acting, Kristin Kreuk was moderately okay as the title character. She had the feel of Chun-Li at some points, but that was boggled down by her cheesy dialogue and all those "strike a dramatic pose" moments in the film. Especially during a random club choreographed dance sequence where Chun-Li is supposed to seduce Cantana (yes, one of M. Bison's femme fatales).

The Black Eyed Peas' Taboo did not have much to do as Vega, except look the part and have a few throwaway lines. Michael Clarke Duncan did a better job as Balrog, compared to the 1994 actor, while the Neal McDonough's M. Bison was good, but not great.

Worst of all the actors, Chris Klein was tremendously horrible as Interpol cop Charlie Nash. From the odd-sounding delivery of his dialogue ("I love this job..."), to the "try-to-look-bad-ass" facial expressions and out-of-place romantic subplot with Moon Bloodgood's Maya Sunee, his character got the most laughs, jeers, and "I want to punch him so bad" responses from the theater audience, he really should be in the lead for Worst Supporting Actor at next year's Razzie Awards.

Visually, the film looked low budget. You would think that it'd at least look nice on the theater screen, but no. My friend even asked me, "This looks like a DVD movie!" Plotwise, it's very simplistic, and I guess they did manage to find a way to fill the 1 hour and 20-so minutes. The fighting scenes (which happened after gaps of exposition) seemed to be the only good thing about the film. Overall, the film disappointed beyond my beliefs. While it wasn't the worst film I've seen (I give that honor to a tie between "House of the Dead" and "The Wedding Date"), I'm really saddened that another possible-film franchise has gone down even before it had a chance.

To end my review, enjoy a sample of the "Do the screenwriters really believe people will enjoy this?" dialogue:

Gen (Chun-Li's master, training her to fight, and has pulled her arm behind her back): "Why are you ANGRY?"
Chun-Li: Because you're hurting meee!
Gen: You are only hurting yourself.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

WORST PICTURE
The Resident
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 11:54am
I didn't notice until just now, but this puppy was sitting at 4% on RT.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 4:37pm
"12 Rounds" came out the same day. Talk about choosing a lesser of two evils. And next week won't be any better. "Knowing" AND "Push" are both coming out, and are being marketed together.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2009 at 1:23am
I just KNOW I'm going to PUSH all the copies into the trash, even if it takes me a full 12 ROUNDS.

Take that, Gene Shalit.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 1:27pm
Between "Chung-Li", "Dragonball", "Transformers 2", "GI Joe" and maybe "Blood: The Last Vampire", we can have a catagory of Worst Live Action Adaptation of an Animated Series.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 2:43am
I swear you're missing one there, too.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 11:34am
If I am missing one, it must be because it was so bad, it's not worth remembering.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 10:33pm
I'd be satisfied with either Kristin Kreuk for Worst Actress or Chris Klein for Worst Actor.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 7:50am
Sadly, in order for this movie to get razzed for ANYTHING, then everyone has to write-in vote for it, because it was no where to be found on the ballot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567