Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > WHAT GOES UP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

...Sure to Come Plummetting Down!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...Sure to Come Plummetting Down!
    Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:37am
Yea, I dunno. My girlfriend at the time and I were really stoked. And we walked out afterward wondering why we waited until afterward.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:41am
I've had a few movies that I wish I had walked out of... Speed Racer comes to mind. However, I think of Van Helsing, and I honestly can't remember much of the film, other then I seem to recall a hot chick in there somewhere...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 12:58pm
Kate was in it...
But other than that, this is one of the reasons I'm pushing for the damnation of Mummyguy over all the Bay jokes we make.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 2:19pm
Stephen "Mummyguy" Sommers isn't all bad... he gave us...um...stuff? I'll think of something eventually...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 8:38am
Does anyone know if Deep Rising was any good?
From what I know about the guy, he likes to go corny for the sake of being corny. I might not hate him if he worked on things like Xena and Hercules, but his movies make one roll their eyes until the brain attempts to join in the tumbling fun, thus causing the retardation.
-Iron helps us play-
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 3:23pm

If Duff does receive another RAZZIE nod for her role in this, it will make it her 4th. She has completely poor acting, but one shot of her might be the only one that might be coming up.

What Goes Up

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 1:42am
Oh, man, that's from the swimming pool party scene, right?  (Yes, there's a swimming pool party in the movie, along with everything else).  I don't know how to bring this up on such a family forum, but isn't that a cl t down there?  Not good.
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 3:30am

Ok so I just watched the movie and it really isn't THAT bad! I kind of enjoyed it. And just so you guys know Hilary Duff is actually really good in it. And another thing, the movie didn't get released on DVD so quickly because of it bombing. It was scheduled to be released June 16 in the first place, and it may have a second theatrical run.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:36am
A second theatrical run for a movie that no one's heard of and has already been released for home viewing? Yea, it MIGHT get picked up by a cheap theater or two. I still plan on seeing this, but c'mon... This looks like one of those movies that are destined to obscurity long before it had even reached the theaters at all.
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:44pm

Okay, I want to hear dipitlow.  What did you like about this movie?

Wasn't everything I said was in the movie in the movie?  I know I left a whole bunch out.

And I did say the acting was good.  But the plotline. . . . what line?  There was no line.  It was a plot fracture, into little tiny pieces, held together by a flimsy piece of celluloid.  Maybe that's why they orignally were going to call this Safety Glass?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:10am
Oh the controversy of it all. I really hope it's at the video store tomorrow (I've had a busy week, or else I'd be all up ons).
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 2:50am

Well, based on the little dipitlow has said about why he feels it isn't really all that bad, he's basing it on the acting, particularly Hillary Duff's, but he doesn't say anything about the plot or how it all hangs together.  I've said the acting in this movie is very good a number of times.

However, if you take a crappy script, and all the actors turn in excellent performances, don't you still have a crappy movie?  And doesn't the excellent performances make the movie all the more crappier?  That's my point, and that's why I'd like dipitlow to comment on what he felt about all these crazy, convoluted, contrived and often incomprehensible plotlines in this very bad movie, despite the good performances.

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Oh the controversy of it all. I really hope it's at the video store tomorrow (I've had a busy week, or else I'd be all up ons).

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:32am
Ok, I just saw it. And yea, I have to agree to some extent, the sheer badness was a bit overhyped. It wasn't the filmmaking mess that I was expecting. But that's not to say that I don't agree about the majority of the rest. To me, it seemed like they were attempting to cram as many corny movie-style metaphors that they could. It was all fairly hack. They seemed to want to get these little tidbits of alleged "clever" out there, without making it tie into the plot.
But then again, sometimes it seems like it kinda did fit. I was expecting a 1/10, and I feel like it was a 3 or so. I wasn't really liking the whole "pedophilia is cool" theme, but they kind of got that "heroes are just normal, flawed people that become legends based on the way they're remembered" thing. Corny, maybe, but despite a LOT of deviations, they at least kept their core message in there.
One thing that really gets the movie off the hook for me though is that it at least tried. It failed, but it tried. I'm not trying to justify it, or defend it, but it wasn't the "I Know Who Killed Me" or "The Happening" that I was expecting (and secretly hoping for).
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:13pm

I guess that's the problem.  For me, it was a complete mess, a "what-the-hell?" from the moment the reporter comes into town.  However, as you mentioned with I Know Who Killed Me or The Happening, it lacks unintentionally funny scenes.  I don't know if there's a one in the movie.  I feel we're still looking for that kind of film among this year's releases.

The "pedophilia is cool" theme had to compete with the "peeping masturbators make good neighbors" theme, but I feel the "pedophilia is cool" theme won out, especially when Campbell puts the ladder on Lucy's balcony.  That whole Romeo and Juliet thing got really creepy.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:23pm
I actually felt the masturbator scene was appropriate. I mean, they were going for shock value, but I felt the point was he saved the kid's life doing something bad. The flawed hero theme.
The ladder stuff, yea, TOTALLY ridiculous. There was NOTHING funny about WGU, even when it wanted.
I think the issue we're arriving at right now is that you saw the movie first, and that was the reason you have nothing but bad to say about it. I think that if I had seen it first, the conversation would be the same with our roles reversed.
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 6:55am

Well, I don't know if having seen it first had anything to do with it.  For me, when I saw the first fifteen minutes with Campbell Babbitt going through his conundrum about fictionalizing the continuing life of Angela well after her death, I was thinking that this movie isn't all so bad.  And then, from the moment his red Gremlin broke down outside of Concord (what Gremlin was even working by 1986?!) on, it was a constant back and forth between being lulled by the good acting and being yanked out of it by the awful script that kept breeding way too many storylines.  By the end of the movie when the hero masturbator utters "Good!" at the sight of Babbitt and his everlasting Gremlin leaving town, I wanted to say "Good!" that the movie finally ended.

And then for the next week, the ridiculous plot twists and convoluted storytelling, not to mention the theme about illegal sex between adults and minors seeming to be okay (and what about the McMartin School fiasco which happened during this time?), not to mention an utter failure capturing the time period beyond mentioning the upcoming Challenger disaster, just kept churning inside my head.  That's a bad feeling that not even Uwe Boll left in my craw.  It was a different kind of low in bad movie watching for me, which is why I'm hard against it.

I've been wondering if it was because I saw it on the large screen, while you saw it on your home theatre?

It seems we agree the worst scene was Babbitt on the ladder outside of Lucy's window.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>