Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > WHAT GOES UP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

...Sure to Come Plummetting Down!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...Sure to Come Plummetting Down!
    Posted: June 01 2009 at 11:58am
So what you're trying to tell me... Is that this is just a really, really, really bad movie. I really have to rent it when it comes out now.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 5:28pm
Bad movie Party at dEd's place!
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 6:00pm

A marathorn of every movie ever to win (or get a nod for) a Razzie?! Could our brains survive that powerful of an onslaught?

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:41pm
I think no human being could take that onslaught... it is like a brain pudding-a-fication. Mmm Tapioca Brain pudding... Just like Ma used to make!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

So what you're trying to tell me... Is that this is just a really, really, really bad movie. I really have to rent it when it comes out now.

Oh, man, and because the actors are performing well, and because the cameramen are filming well enough, I kept finding myself getting lulled into a state of accepting what was up on the screen, except that the awful screenplay kept screaming through with "I don't know what the hell I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway!"

I forgot to mention the twins.  There are twins among the group of misfits.  They keep giggling and smiling.  I'm not sure why they're there.  Oh, yeah, they're there because Glatzner didn't know what the hell he was doing but he did it anyway.  I already answered my own question.  Silly me.

Oh, and there was Lute, played well by Laura Konechny.  Lute is a member of the high school band who got busted for stealing a pair of jeans because everyone else had a pair of those jeans.  The judge sentenced her to stand in front of the store with a sandwich board that says she's a shoplifter in order to keep it from getting on her record.  She tells Babbitt that she has to do this until her mother comes and picks her up.  Babbitt, the bastion of morality, declares she has been punished enough.  Later, Penelope, the tightass choir director, asks Lute where was she when she came by to pick her up.  BTW, Penelope is not Lute's mother.  When the twins scribble the accusation that Penelope pushed Mr. C off the building onto the score of Penelope's lousy musical, and Penelope comes to that page right in the middle of the musical, Penelope accuses Lute of the scribbles.  I don't know why.  Then later, Penelope steals a pair of jeans.

The only reason I could stand Penelope at all is because of Molly Shannon's acting.  Otherwise, the character is badly written and horrid.

Talking about the brain being reduced to tapioca, it seems this movie really took a toll on me.  And I watched four Uwe Boll movies within the space of a year.  Watching this movie has been like drinking something with a horrid backtaste that kicks in later.  I'm sure I won't realize just how bad this movie was until a week has gone by.  Oh, man. . . .

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 10:50pm

Ben Lyons and Ben Manciewicz have both declared "Skip It!" on their At The Movies, making the Rotten Tomatoes rating currently 20 rotten to 0 fresh.  It is still at 0%, and I don't see that changing no matter how many more critics suffer through this movie.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 4:57am
cvcjr13, your description of the movie makes my brain hurt. Is the movie really THAT awful? Is it one of those rare bad movies that hovers just north of the "so awful it's great" line, or is it one that is just too awful for words?
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 7:28am
It seems like another one of those things we'll just need to suffer through to know the truth. As a rental, that is.
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 2:09pm

Unless you have money to burn (in this economy, with rising gas prices?), wait for the rental, by all means.  I advise seeing it with friends who also have a taste for mocking bad movies.  If you see it alone, come here and share.  Whatever you do, don't let this one sit in your craw for too long. 

Your reactions are apparently the norm.  I described the film to two of my co-workers today.  When I went over the beginning with them, they agreed, it sounded interesting at the point up to when the editor sends the journalist to Concord, NH.  Then I describe what happens when he arrives in Concord and his college buddy jumps off the building behind him, and they immediately said that was awful.  And then I described the storyline for Hillary Duff's character Lucy, and they were completely put off at that point. 

So, CriticalFrank, yes, it's that awful, with good acting and competent cinematography to boot.  As for how awful it is, I hesitate to say it is "just too awful for words" for two reasons: one, when I think of that, I think of Strange Wilderness, and What Goes Up is nowhere as bad as Strange Wilderness.  But when I think of "so awful it's great", I think of Ed Wood, and I'm not sure it rises to that enjoyable awfulness.   It's somewhere in between.  To contrast it to Uwe Boll, it is a better mess than Postal, but not as laughably bad as In the Name of the King

I guess what lingers with me most, and perhaps what one can mock the most, is that it presents so many unresolved issues and so many contrived coincidences.  To the former, give the screen a hearty, "Okay, so now what?. . ." and to the latter, sputter "Yeah, right. . . ." 

To put it another way, I wish Richard Roeper would review this movie.  I would love to hear his reaction.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 2:34pm
I wanna hear a Gene Shalit review.
-Iron helps us play-
wolfee37 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfee37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 9:24am

I thought for sure this would be Hilary Duffs' first great movie...but apparently not (maybe Greta will be good!)

Mandy Moore, Amber Tamblyn, Amanda Seyfried, Kelli Garner and Amanda Peet were all originally supposed to be in this film, and all are great actors. I just find it strange that all these actors (plus Olivia Thirlby, Molly Shannon, and Steve Coogan) would sign up for such a god awful film.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 12:10pm
Wolfee... just please tell me that you're not a Brenda Song or Zack and Cody fan, at least.
-Iron helps us play-
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 12:20am

I'm used to people being a little delusional about how great their art is, even myself.  Anybody wanna hear my songs?  They're great. . . .

I don't know what it is about the tendency that when we personally create something, we think it's so great that it must be great.  Our friends' eyes get big, they start nodding their heads, and then you find out how they really feel when they quickly change the subject whenever we try to show them our latest.  And who can blame them?  I mean, exposing crap for what it is (and having fun while doing it) is what the Razzies are all about, but have you ever told a friend that their latest creation stinks?  It rarely goes down well, and often, even when it seems to go down well, it doesn't really.  They are hurt.  You might as well have told them their children are ugly. 

Two good examples of this delusion are Uwe Boll and Edward D. Wood, Jr.  They both think/thought they are/were making fine cinema.  You look at their work and wonder...what would make them think that? 

So, when I came across the official movie website for What Goes Up -- after seeing the movie -- I thought I had become Al in Wonderland (LINK).  It's unsettling, even somewhat creepy, seeing how much love and devotion the people involved in this film (and its website) have poured into this terrible, convoluted, unfocused, meandering film. 

I guess then that an additional (maybe even accidental?) purpose of the Razzies is to serve as a reality check for this delusion.  We are the ones who say, "Sorry, but your film really reeks, and you really need to understand this.  But you've given me something to have fun making fun of, and there's something to be said for that. . . ." 

Of course, our true purpose is to slam Hollywood when they crank out stinkers like this movie, regardless of how delusional they may or may not be about their films. And that, in and of itself, is enough of a benefit and purpose.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 10:15am
Originally posted by wolfee37

I thought for sure this would be Hilary Duffs' first great movie...but apparently not (maybe Greta will be good!).

Actually, wolfee, I thought Hilary's first great movie was her supporting role in "War, Inc."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:26pm
Yea, cvcjr, some filmmakers really, REALLY love their movies. After watching a special on the making of the first Mortal Kombat, I was convinced that I HAD to see it, and that it wouldn't make me want to perfom an in-game fatality on myself. But lo-and-behold, a half hour in, I froze myself and had someone punch my body into dead, icy chunks. But I had another guy, so I'm back now.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 12:39pm

And come on, everyone knows that Hilary Duff's BEST moive ever is going to be Bonnie and Clyde!

dEd, is that person who froze you and punched you available to do the same to me? I think I deserve death after uttering that last statement....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>