Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEATH AT a FUNERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Taking the "FUN" Out of FUNERAL?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking the "FUN" Out of FUNERAL?!?!?
    Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:14am
ONE of OUR FAVORITE REMARKS in HOLLYWOOD HISTORY CAME from MASTER DIRECTOR (and 6-TIME OSCAR® WINNERBILLY WILDER: "WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING REMAKES of the ONES WE ALREADY GOT RIGHT? THEY SHOULD REMAKE the ONES WE GOT WRONG!" 

WITH the 2010 REMAKE of DEATH AT A FUNERAL, the PROBLEM BECOMES EVEN MORE ACUTE, SINCE the SUPERIOR, BRITISH ORIGINAL VERSION WAS RELEASED HERE ONLY 3 YEARS AGO. 

THOUGH NOT a HUGE HIT, the 2007 ORIGINAL WAS HARDLY an OBSCURE FILM, SO the IDEA of RE-MAKING IT SO QUICKLY HAS ABOUT IT an AIR of INSULTING MOVIE-GOERS' INTELLIGENCE. DO THEY THINK WE'RE SO DUMB WE DON'T REMEMBER the FIRST FILM?? 

OH, WAIT, INSULTING MOVIE-GOERS IS S.O.P. in HOLLYWOOD THESE DAZE..OH, WELL -- NEVER MIND!

FOOT-NOTE: THIS REMAKE WAS HELMED by the MAN RESPONSIBLE for the MULTIPLE-RAZZIE®-NOMINATED 2006 REMAKE of WICKER MAN...

CHRIS ROCK: "This frickin' dwarf was also in the 2007 
original -- We gotta keep him from comparing the two 
versions!!"
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 12:09pm

HAHA! Great photo caption! Anyway, why does this movie exist? Three years in between the original and the remake? WTF?! What's next, a remake of "The Hurt Locker" in 2012?! Sure this is a great cast of well known actors and actresses, but as Uwe Boll proved, it doesn't matter if you have a great cast if the material they are given to work with sucks.

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 4:45pm

When I looked at the trailers for both versions of the film, I noticed quite a few similarities.  Cinemablend also noticed a number of similarities in the full project (LINK).

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 7:00pm
The only real difference between the movies will be that the original was British wit comedy, and this will be African-American themed comedy. That's all. Expect an all-Hispanic cast remake in another 3 years, with George Lopez, Eve Longoria, etc.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 10:06pm
This film is supposed to be a "black comedy."  By definition, a black comedy is supposed to be funny while maintaining some seriousness.  This remake seems to lack any seriousness.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Gotta agree with you for once, Migel. This remake looks a little too much like yet another Tyler Perry knockoff -- Maybe it shoulda been titled Tyler Perry's WHY DID I GET BURIED??  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 11:26am
So does that make this movie a "Black-black comedy"??  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:02pm
I don't know what that makes it, but it's definitely a frontrunner for Worst Remake, Ripoff or Sequel.
sampsoninc916 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sampsoninc916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:06pm
How could people dying at a funeral be turned into a comedy. The event of people dying at someone's funeral is one of the most shocking and heartbreaking things ever. It is sad when someone dies in a movie or real life, that even at a funeral or the living near the dead, it is accompanied by music to set the tone. How could they possibly think "death at a funeral" could be funny? In The Lion King, it was a sad moment when Mufasa died, and even for that movie, some people criticize it for being a rip off of this anime movie I never heard of called Kimba The White Lion. 
Do you think I was young enough to grow up watching Smurfs, Thundercats, and reruns of shows like A-Team and Dukes of Hazzard, and Alvin and the Chipmunks?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 2:00pm
SPOILER ALERT:

To answer the question of how a funeral can turn out funny, what happens is that the white boyfriend in the movie is going to get high off of acid by mistake and will end up naked on the roof of the funeral home. The dwarf is the dead father's gay lover and wants his share of the estate, but the family knocks him out and tries to hide him in the casket. Other than that I remember it's a love triangle in there somewhere and the lead character has a personal struggle to become a writer, but is overshadowed by his more successful brother.

And now you can watch this movie copy and paste everything I just wrote. PS: When I said "black-black comedy", I meant a black comedy starring an all black cast (well, except for the three token white characters).
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 2:45pm
There's something called dark humor...  

Originally posted by sampsoninc916

How could people dying at a funeral be turned into a comedy. The event of people dying at someone's funeral is one of the most shocking and heartbreaking things ever. It is sad when someone dies in a movie or real life, that even at a funeral or the living near the dead, it is accompanied by music to set the tone. How could they possibly think "death at a funeral" could be funny? In The Lion King, it was a sad moment when Mufasa died, and even for that movie, some people criticize it for being a rip off of this anime movie I never heard of called Kimba The White Lion. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 3:26pm
Because "Lion King" was a rip-off! Just like "The Matrix" was a near copy and paste rip-off of an anime movie entitled "Ghost in the Shell" (the Japanese animation company unsuccessfully sued Warner Bros. for copyright infringement). And Disney's "Atlantis" was a rip-off of an anime series called "Secret of Blue Water." 

Starting to see why I hate Hollywood?  

In The Lion King, it was a sad moment when Mufasa died, and even for that movie, some people criticize it for being a rip off of this anime movie I never heard of called Kimba The White Lion.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:33pm
OK, everybody...time to lay your bets down:  

How long will it be before Hollywood releases a movie--  and the remake of it -- in the same year?  
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:21pm
I grew up watching the original Kimba the White Lion, and yes, The Lion King had a lot of similarities with that anime series, as this fan page for KtWL attests (click on the "Lion King?" link).  Remember, just because you "never heard of" something doesn't mean that those "some people" who have heard of it (not to mention all those who grew up watching it) don't have a legitimate gripe.

Besides, Disney got paid back when Avatar ripped off Pocahontas.   

If I'm not mistaken, blatant instances like these qualify to be called "ripoffs."    

In The Lion King, it was a sad moment when Mufasa died, and even for that movie, some people criticize it for being a rip off of this anime movie I never heard of called Kimba The White Lion. 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 4:33pm
Don't know if this qualifies, but Quarantine was a remake of [Rec], which was released like 6 months before the remake was released...    

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

OK, everybody...time to lay your bets down:  

How long will it be before Hollywood releases a movie--  and the remake of it -- in the same year?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: FYI, here are IMDb lynx for both QUARANTINE (released Oct. 10, 2008 in the U.S.) and [REC] (made in Spain and apparently only released Direct-to-DVD in the U.S. on July 14, 2009 - LINK

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 6:15pm

Based on what I've heard, the comedy won't be as bad as other films from the past winter and later this year, but it does set a new low for originality. The remakes are just coming sooner and sooner. I don't watch anime, so I couldn't tie The Lion King to anything before it. 

Any news on Kick-A**, by any chance?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's an R.T. LINK to see if KICK ASS can maintain its surprisingly high 75% Positive Rating at R.T. Even though its TV and billboard campaigns make it look like mindless eye-candy, it looks like ASS might finally dethrone TITANS from atop the B.O. Mountain this weekend...

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 6:19pm
I'm betting that you will walk out of Kick Ass feeling like you got your A** kicked.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>