Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2013 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

TEXAS CHAINSAW 3-D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEXAS CHAINSAW 3-D
    Posted: January 04 2013 at 8:51pm
MEMBER-STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION  

You take a Chainsaw, Put it in Texas. . . AND SHOW IT IN 3D!  Isn't that a GREAT idea for a movie! . . . .

Oh, Lord, please forgive us, for our greed has made us STOOPID! 

Sequelitis continues its unrelenting thrashing of past favorites, and has gotten to the point where films are repeatedly rebooted when the latest special effects become de rigeur.  So now we have the umpteenth sequel of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre foisted on theaters this weekend merely because they could film the gore in 3D. 

How original. . . NOT!

It seems the creativity in this remake is summed up by the decision to not only add "3D" to the title, but to drop the word "Massacre" as well.

The ONLY good thing to be said about this particular release is that no one will remember it by December, not us Razzie members, not anyone!

So, if you want to say anything about this insultingly blatant cash grab with little else going for it, you'd better do it now.

Texas Chainsaw 3D

"Hey, are you even thinking of giving ME a RAZZIE?"

HeadRAZZ, when you're ready to start a forum for 2013 releases, please move this thread over there.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 9:01pm
Here's a link to Box Office Mojo so you may keep track of whether TC3D is profitable or not.

Here's a link to the IMDb page for TC3D so you may look up the cast and crew.  Note the low rating - don't the studios pump up the initial rating anymore, or is this a pumped up rating?

Here's a link to Rotten Tomatoes.  Note that the early reviews, which usually are the best, have this movie at a 29% as of Friday evening. 

If you're wondering where I found that pseudo-3D pic above, you can view it at MOVIEtalk on Yahoo!

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 10:52pm
It seems like us forum members may need to cover for HeadRAZZ on the Worst New Movie of the Weak for a while. As he prepares for and runs the Worst of 2012 RAZZIE ceremonies, we'll be adding Unofficial Forums for the worst new movies of the next few weeks. I feel like I'd been a little spoiled by the first wide release of 2011 (Season of the Witch) and 2012 (The Devil Inside). Both got 1/20 approval ratings at Rotten T, and this got 4/20. But I'm requesting that this eventually gets upgraded to official subforum on my own terms: only if more negative reviews should come in over the weekend and drop the approval rating and Metascore. This seems to be following more of the paradigm of Leap Year (2010) and Happily N'Ever After (2007), where the first RAZZIE contender of the year turns out simply bad rather than a total abomination... so far. But with less than 30 reviews collected on opening day, there's still a small chance that when the reviews hit 70-80, that they'll say TXC3D is terrible, or perhaps even abysmal, instead of simply bad.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags. 29; As Above, So Below
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 5:18am
I agree.  Over the next few weeks, HeadRAZZ will be busy with ballots, prevues and award ceremony details.  That's my purpose for starting this thread, so our conversations about what's going on now, during the Hollywood dumping season best known as January, can continue.  This will give HeadRAZZ a free hand, and when his schedule calms down, he can look over what we've done and make his own decisions.

There's another movie, an independent one called A Dark Truth, released this week that is receiving early bad reviews, too.  However, I don't know about you, but I don't want merely bad movies.  There has to be something more compelling.  I feel it will take several more reviews before we can tell with A Dark Truth.

But Texas Chainsaw 3D?  That's RAZZIE material, pure and simple.  But you're right--it could turn out to be merely bad, and not bad enough, let alone laughably bad.

We have some other obvious candidates coming up - Marlon Wayans' A Haunted House, Arnold Schwarzeneggar's The Last Stand, that Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters movie and Sly Stallone's Bullet To The Head.  There's also several possible ones, like Al Pacino's The Stand-Up Guys. So, it should be no problem for us users to fill in until HeadRAZZ has the time again.

jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 6:50pm
I've got a great idea. Why not some of us members choose which possible contenders to make forums for? I'm thinking of doing The Last Stand (that way I can make more Call of Duty jokes) or Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters and if there's none left, I might just do Bullet to the Head with Duh Sly Guy.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 3:16am
*sigh*, I didn't think it would come to this, but thinking about, you guys are right. Besides, Headrazz seems to only have time to do one forum these days. We can make things easier for him by creating forums for more than one movie, that way he has less work to do. Particularly on the third and fourth week of January, all movies have the potential to being Razzie worthy, and I'd rather not miss out on them.

Yeah, Texas Chainsaw 3D. Good idea to ignore the remake, bad idea to make us sympathetic with Leatherface. You never do that in a movie like this, because it makes the killer lose it's steam. Once more, I have heard that Tobe Hooper, the man that created Texas Chainsaw Massacre, actually gave this his approval. Ether he's gone somewhat senile, or they paid him well.

On other movies, A Dark Truth should still be considered for Worst Supporting Actor for Forest Whitaker, since he is also in Last Stand. Also, gotta say this about Stand-Up Guys, it seriously has critics divided: 50% on Rotten Tomatoes; seven positive, seven negative.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should post the reviews for this:

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 10:47am
Stand Up Guys got a limited release in December, so it doesn't count for this year.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 3:08pm
You know, I mentioned this a couple of times on threads for last year's movies, and I'm going to say it again.  If we start following the Academy's rules to the letter, studios could take advantage of things like limited releases in the prior year so their Razzie bait would escape our scrutiny!  

My feeling is, if Stand Up Guys is an out-and-out bomb with the critics, then let's do a member's page about the movie, but let's be sure to also mention that it had a limited release the prior year.  That way, like with Bel Ami or W.E., HeadRAZZ can make a decision whether to include it or not. 

If Stand Up Guys is a so-so movie or better, though, then we need to focus instead on the other bad movies, like Bullet in the Head. . . .

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 3:21pm
Hey, oiram, thanks for posting Jahn's review.  I like Jahn's reviews - he makes me laugh.

Speaking of reviews, RT is down to 21% and Metacritic is at a terrible rating of 33, so TC3D can be considered bad enough for us.  Question is, it topped the box office with an estimated $23 million, so will it be profitable?  If so, based on what I've read in some of the reviews (SPOILER ALERT), how are they going to make a sequel?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Hey, oiram, thanks for posting Jahn's review.  I like Jahn's reviews - he makes me laugh.

Speaking of reviews, RT is down to 21% and Metacritic is at a terrible rating of 33, so TC3D can be considered bad enough for us.  Question is, it topped the box office with an estimated $23 million, so will it be profitable?  If so, based on what I've read in some of the reviews (SPOILER ALERT), how are they going to make a sequel?
You're welcome!

This movie has an 8 million dollar budget, surprise, surprise, so unfortunately, this is fairly profitable. As to how they're going to make a sequel, they're most likely going to pull out some BS that makes no sense except that they wanted to make a sequel.

Originally posted by cvcjr13

You know, I mentioned this a couple of times on threads for last year's movies, and I'm going to say it again. If we start following the Academy's rules to the letter, studios will take advantage of things like limited releases in the prior year so their Razzie bait would escape Razzie scrutiny.
My feeling is, if Stand Up Guys is an out-and-out bomb with the critics, then let's do a member's page about the movie, but let's be sure to also mention that it had a limited release the prior year. That way, like with Bel Ami or W.E., HeadRAZZ can make a decision whether to include it or not.
If Stand Up Guys is a so-so movie or better, though, then we need to focus instead on the other bad movies, like Bullet in the Head. . . .
I'd like to point out that the movie It's Pat was technically released in 1994, but was nominated for the Razzies for Worst of 1995. In other words, it is still possible for Stand Up Guys to be a Razzie contender for THIS year.

By the way, where were you, cvcjr13? You almost disappeared from this site for a full year. Did something happen?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Odyssey View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Odyssey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 2:56pm
"Hey, are you even thinking of giving ME a RAZZIE?"

A Worst Actor nod for "Leatherface" next year? Hell yeah!!!

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 5:59am
Texas Chainsaw 3D is released on DVD and Blu-Ray tomorrow. I smell a worst new movie on DVD pick
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
 Post Reply Post Reply