Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > WHITEOUT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

That’s SNOW Way to Make a Thriller!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That’s SNOW Way to Make a Thriller!
    Posted: September 11 2009 at 5:22am

SOMETIMES POTENTIAL RAZZIE® CONTENDERS COME in UNDER OUR RADAR, GARNERING HILARIOUSLY VICIOUS REVIEWS from OUT-of-the-BLUE. CASE in POINT: WHITEOUT, WHICH OPENED in COMPETITION with ANOTHER EQUALLY/OVERLY FAMILIAR-SOUNDING "SUSPENSE" MOVIE, SORORITY ROW. BUT WHITEOUT's REVIEWS REEKED FAR WORSE (IN FACT, IT WAS FEATURED in AT THE MOVIES' 2009 WORST of the YEAR SEGMENT).

TOP-LINING 2001 WORST SCREEN COUPLE CONTENDER KATE BECKINSALE (PEARL HARBOR) WHITEOUT IS the THIRD or FOURTH DETECTIVES-TRYING-to-SOLVE-a-MURDER-DURING-the-ENDLESS-NIGHT -in-ALASKA MOVIE in RECENT YEARS. NONE of the PREVIOUS ONES WERE PARTICULARLY SUCCESSFUL, and THIS ONE FOLLOWED in THOSE OTHERS' SNOW-SHOE TRAX.  

NOW IT's YOUR TURN: WHETHER YOU'D LIKE to MAKE a SNOW ANGEL -- OR SUGGEST the PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS TAKE a BITE of the OLD "YELLOW SNOW" -- HERE's YOUR CHANCE... 

BECKINSALE: "Talk about Yellow Snow, it looks like somebody peed on every light-bulb in the place!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 1:30pm

This movie is based on an Eisner Award winning graphic novel (an Eisner is the comic book world's version of an Oscar).

It amazes me that after 10 years of H-Wood making comic book adaptations, only ONE director has had the common sense to realize "Hey, the pictures in this comic book, they're exactly like a storyboard. Oh, I know, I'll just tell my DP to shoot the movie just like it looks in the book! And hey, while I'm at it, I can tell my screenwriter to just copy and paste all the dialog from the speech balloons into the script! Why, this is going to be the easiest adaptation ever!".

But no, instead they have to take only bits and pieces from the source material and make stuff up as they go along, and as a result, we get a crappy movie. UGH!

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 1:50pm

Maybe you can direct it in the future... 

Originally posted by Michaels

This movie is based on an Eisner Award winning graphic novel (an Eisner is the comic book world's version of an Oscar).

It amazes me that after 10 years of H-Wood making comic book adaptations, only ONE director has had the common sense to realize "Hey, the pictures in this comic book, they're exactly like a storyboard. Oh, I know, I'll just tell my DP to shoot the movie just like it looks in the book! And hey, while I'm at it, I can tell my screenwriter to just copy and paste all the dialog from the speech balloons into the script! Why, this is going to be the easiest adaptation ever!".

But no, instead they have to take only bits and pieces from the source material and make stuff up as they go along, and as a result, we get a crappy movie. UGH!

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 4:03pm
It might actually have to come down to that.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 4:15pm
I just found out this film is supposed to be a crime thriller. Now I'm interested. I thought it would be like "The Thing" or something.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 2:51am

No, it's not a horror movie, it's supposed to be a serious crime drama/thriller that takes place in Antarctica. But it appears critics aren't buying the "serious drama" part.

Plus, how seriously can you take a movie that has random scenes of Kate Beckinsale walking around in her underwear for no apparent reason other than T&A? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 1:09pm
And yet people still managed to complain that Watchmen was too faithful to the comic and book.
-Iron helps us play-
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 1:55pm

Yeah, I heard rumors they were going to do another remake of John Carpenter's The Thing, and I thought this was it. Thankfully it wasn't. But it still doesn't matter, because this movie looks like crap!

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 2:47pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

And yet people still managed to complain that Watchmen was too faithful to the comic and book.

If by "too faithful", you mean "too long and complex for the average ADHD movie goer who can only follow Michael Bay's simple and to the point movies", then I guess you're right.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2009 at 9:16am
A-zaktly.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 4:17am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

A-zaktly.

I take it you mean "exactly" and you were just taking a stab at teenagers and their obsession with misspelling words while text messaging?

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:34am

Skip to 01:33.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply