Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > POLL: How Bad WERE the Movies of Summer 2006...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Berry WORST Movie Summer EVER??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Just How Bad WAS Movie-Going This Summer??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[48.48%]
[24.24%]
[21.21%]
[3.03%]
[3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Berry WORST Movie Summer EVER??
    Posted: August 30 2006 at 3:53am

AS USUAL WHEN SUMMER IS WINDING DOWN, WE'RE HEARING THAT THIS IS "THE WORST YEAR for MOVIES EVER!" ...BUT IS IT REALLY??  WE'LL ADMIT THERE WAS NO LACK of RAZZIE® CONTENDERS, BUT THERE WERE SOME GOOD MOVIES AS WELL.

HERE'S YOUR CHANCE to TELL US, HOW WOULD YOU RATE SUMMER 2006, COMPARED to SUMMERS PAST??

VOTE in OUR POLL ABOVE, THEN FEEL FREE to SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, OPINIONS and CETERA BELOW...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 4:00am

I had to vote "Totally Sucked." I can't think of one GOOD movie I saw all summer. Even the big block-busters, like PIRATES 2 and X-MEN 3, were disappointing. And original thought seems all but DEAD in Hollywood right now...WHAT A SHAME!

Response from Head RAZZberry: A shame for Hollywood...a BOON for us (except that having so MANY contenders makes it harder on our Voters to choose just FIVE in each category!)...

Everything SUX!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 8:31am

As someone who loves a good movie, I found this summer's cinema fare incredibly depressing. I can't think of even one good movie that came out all year (among the dozens I've seen, anyway).

Why can't Hollywood make anything exciting, original and actually entertaining any more??  Thank God my Netflix membership gives me access to thousands of good old movies...

Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 2:51pm

On the whole, the fare this summer was numbingly mediocre. There weren't a lot of bright spots, but not a huge list of real dogs either. For me, the highlights included A Prairie Home Companion and Little Miss Sunshine. Pirates 2 was a near miss, just a little too long and I just didn't feel that Captain Jack Sparrow came off as the same character. I was also somewhat in the minority in finding The DaVinci Code entertaining. Beyond that, I'd have to agree that it was an endless string of formulaic crud.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 12:22pm
Razz, what is the secret? How do you get into the Hollywood Executive
Class, make millions of dollars, and green light bomb after bomb?
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 2:07pm
I liked the "Da Vinci Code" as a book, but it failed as a movie.  "The Prairie Home Companion" was good, but no big deal, I've been a fan ever since it first appeared on PBS.   The "Pirates" movies are typical Disney fluff and can be fun to watch sometimes,  but I'd still prefer watching an oldie with Earl Flynn.   I was dissapointed with the so called Blockbusters, they all sucked!  Overall, this was a horible summer for movies.  Even the Indies were'nt special, though a few good ones might come along in the fall.
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 9:44am
I think one of the most common carps most of us have about the product being turned out by contemporary Hollywood is the lack of originality. That is precisely why I enjoyed Prairie Home Companion and Little Miss Sunshine. Both were different than the standard fare, particulary the usual action oriented summer blockbusters.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Gbob View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 11:06am
I though summer 2006 was The best since 2005 There was allot of good movies like Xmen The Last Stand Cars and Monster House
jacky View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 5:05am

Biggest rip-off so Far?

Try watching Material Girls for 2 hours and then tell me if Hilary Duff does not deserve to booted off from the silver screen

nippleclipz707 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote nippleclipz707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 12:23pm
You people expect far too much from a summer movie season.  Summer movies are meant to do only two things: give you an excuse to shovel gobs of  animal-fat coated popcorn into your gaping maw and suspend the dizzyingly horrid reality of your life for 90-120 minutes.  With that in mind, the summer movie season packed in a lot of gems: Pirates 2, X-Men 3, Superman 5, Monster House, Mission Impossible 3 (okay, MI-3 sucked) to name but a few.  For summer movies, think Laurel & Hardy not Ebert & Roeper.  Bingo.
LBSWebsite1 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote LBSWebsite1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 5:41pm
Hey, John, guys...

My Wrap-up:

Monster House was a SMASH; my first 3-D film I went to, was just the film
that will especially be a treat for Halloween come this October for the
kiddies. I hope Sony gives out the DVD in the 3-D version for me to own.

I really was wowed seeing "Superman" 'return' to the silver screen the way
Bryan Singer directed it, and newcomer Brandon Routh carrying the spirits
of Christopher Reeve and the characters of Kent/Superman in him, while
Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor and Kate Bosworth as Lois hold their own,
making their characters fulfilling as possible (at least more credit should
go to Spacey). I hope it makes it past $200 million real soon, even
though it's inching it's way there.

X-Men 3 did what the comic book franchise did to get past $200 million
and more. Visually entertaining, although I wish Brett Ratner and the
screenwriters wouldn't have spent more on the effects and have spent
more time on the storyline.

And "MI:3" was fine-tuned with exceptional performances, but only made
$130 million at the box office. I care to take it the only fault here was to
look no further than Cruise's behavior and his fault his relationship with
Paramount's deal gone bust. Don't know what to say, but Tom Cruise
better start getting his act together, or his relationship with not just all of
Hollywood, but with the studios he works with and the stars will really fall
apart...

"Pirates: Dead Man's Chest" was truly worth the $400 Million and more it
earned and worth both me and my mom's time. I guessed the surprise
ending right to the credits' distribution lines and my mom just loves
Johnny Depp's character Captain Jack Sparrow all to pieces, believe me!
Can't wait to get the second film on 2-disc and take my mom to the final
installment next summer.
Let's just PRAY that scriptwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio and director
Gore Verbinski DON'T screw up the finale like the Matrix trilogy, and
others like it have done before!

The films I avoided were "The Da Vinci Code," "Little Man."

If it's a bad idea for a movie - “Put it out of your mind. In no time, it will be a forgotten memory!” - Samuel Goldwyn
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 5:44pm

I'll definitely say, there were hardly any good movies this summer. PIRATES right now has made more money at the box office. If George Lucas' prediction is true, then it looks like the Blockbuster is DEAD!!!

Also, for the US B.O. No., well, here they are by far of the Labor Day Weekend.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest-$414 Million
2. Cars-$241 Million
3. X-Men: The Last Stand-$234 Million
4. THE DA VINCI CODE-$217 Million
5. SUPERMAN RETURNS-$196 Million
6. Ice Age: The Metdown-$195 Million
7. Over the Hedge-$155 Million
8. TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY-$138 Million
9. CLICK-$136 Million
10. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III-$133 Million
11. The Devil Wears Prada-$121 Million
12. THE BREAK-UP-$118 Million

NOTE: The titles in THIS are titles discussed in the forums of likely 2006 Possible RAZZIE contenders.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 2:42am

Overall the 2006 Summer was was more of what I would have classified as a "Big Disappointment, witch had a lot of potential". I hate to say it but Mission Impossible III I think pretty much set the tone for most of the Summer. The sure fired choices barely ended up paying their production cost, and the ones that looked like Razzie contenders ended coming out on top. Just a lot of mixed feeling on the whole "Summer of 2006".

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 5:56pm
Hollywood is relieved that there were overall gains in box office, but insiders point out that "Pirates" pulled up the averages.
Fact is, when you print out the BO you should also compare the COST of the movie, this will indicate wether the studio actually made a profit.  Consider how much a ticket costs, and check attendence figures and you'll see Hollywood just barely squeaked by.
  Go to the IMD and you'll see that a lot of summer movies lost money.
S.O.A.P.  Posidon, Click, etc were all supposed to be summer hits, the DVD's are already on the discount racks.
As usual, Miramax made money on EVERY film they made.
As usual,  it was a "quiet" indie movie, "Little Miss Sunshine", that was the real blockbuster. 
Superman dissapointed me, I kept expecting the Man to act heroic, but he couldn't save himself, let alone a city.

"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2006 at 11:53am
I think studios are taking into consideration that DVD are making more money than the box office. Although I can't figure out why they haven't just lowered the ticket price.
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 8:04am
They were so bad...they made last year's movies look like Academy Award winners...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>