Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2009 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

THE LIST Jan. 1- Dec. 31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE LIST Jan. 1- Dec. 31
    Posted: January 25 2010 at 7:57pm
I am amazed that at least one member of our group isn't doing backflips and crowing over the entirely irrelevant fact that Avatar has now become  the "highest grossing film of all time." That particularly distinction has become so entirely meaningless I'm not sure why the numbers are taken all that seriously anymore. Factoring for inflation, the highest grossing film of all time is still, and will probably always be, Gone With The Wind.  I've never figured out why Hollywood doesn't track ticket sales instead of box-office gross, which is, over time, a ridiculous apples to oranges comparison.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, the other night on COLBERT REPORT they had the head of NBC Sports as their guest, and he said that NBC is actually expecting to lose money on this year's Winter Olympics -- To the tune of about $200 million.
I guess when you're "on a streak," you're "on a streak"!!     

Considering the expense of making Leno's new set, Conan's new set, marketing Leno's 10pm show, buying out Conan's contract, the new cost for Leno's next set, some of those "expensive" skits Conan made (faked, but the cost of playing the Rolling Stones, etc. actually cost something), the cost of the Olympics... Yea, it's gotta be close to $250-300m that GE's out within a very short span of time. That's actually pretty bad news for the economy. Bailout time!
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:43am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I am amazed that at least one member of our group isn't doing backflips and crowing over the entirely irrelevant fact that Avatar has now become  the "highest grossing film of all time." That particularly distinction has become so entirely meaningless I'm not sure why the numbers are taken all that seriously anymore. Factoring for inflation, the highest grossing film of all time is still, and will probably always be, Gone With The Wind.  I've never figured out why Hollywood doesn't track ticket sales instead of box-office gross, which is, over time, a ridiculous apples to oranges comparison.
That's easy, because the box-office gross looks like more money, thus it helps their arguement that they MUST spend $200-$300 million to make their epic blockbusters. As for "Gone With The Wind", when you factor inflation to any movie that over 70 years old, of course THAT movie is going to look like the biggest grosser.
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 11:14am
You also need to consider the fact that much more people went to the movies in those days than do today. Besides, when  Gone with the Wind  first premiered, it made more money (I think 30+ million) than many films earn today. I saw that it has so far made over 180 million in unadjusted gross, but I'm not sure how much of that was made after its initial release.

Originally posted by Michaels

That's easy, because the box-office gross looks like more money, thus it helps their arguement that they MUST spend $200-$300 million to make their epic blockbusters. As for "Gone With The Wind", when you factor inflation to any movie that over 70 years old, of course THAT movie is going to look like the biggest grosser.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 11:34am

. Factoring for inflation, the highest grossing film of all time is still, and will probably always be, Gone With The Wind.  I've never figured out why Hollywood doesn't track ticket sales instead of box-office gross, which is, over time, a ridiculous apples to oranges comparison.

Because money is more important than anything else to Hollywood.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 3:06pm
Well, for 11 months out of the year, yes, "money is more important than anything else to Hollywood." For the one other month, all that is important to H-Wood are the Oscars. Case in point: the Writer's Guild strike just HAD to end by the time the Oscars came around!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 4:47pm

The only relevant way to measure movies against each other is by considering ticket sales, rather than box-office gross. It is ridiculous to say that such and such a movie made $100 million in 2009 when tickets cost 10 bucks each and suggest that in some sense it outpeformed a movie that made $40 million in 1975 when tickets cost $3. Clearly, but any rational system of measure, the 1975 film did considerably better. In the same sense, Gone With the Wind has not only outperformed every move made since, it has outperformed most of them by a lot. I suspect that if box-office receipts had been accurately recorded back in the late teens and early twenties of the last century, Charlie Chaplins films would have blown everything away.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:23pm

The only relevant way to measure movies against each other is by considering ticket sales, rather than box-office gross. It is ridiculous to say that such and such a movie made $100 million in 2009 when tickets cost 10 bucks each and suggest that in some sense it outpeformed a movie that made $40 million in 1975 when tickets cost $3. Clearly, but any rational system of measure, the 1975 film did considerably better. In the same sense, Gone With the Wind has not only outperformed every move made since, it has outperformed most of them by a lot. I suspect that if box-office receipts had been accurately recorded back in the late teens and early twenties of the last century, Charlie Chaplins films would have blown everything away.
Then you're really going to hate it that everyone is shouting from the highest mountains about how "Avatar" is now the highest grossing movie worldwide.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:24pm

I am amazed that at least one member of our group isn't doing backflips and crowing over the entirely irrelevant fact that Avatar has now become  the "highest grossing film of all time."

I hope you're not talking about me. But if you insist, yes, I'm very happy it has made a lot of $$$, unadjusted, of course.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 5:49pm
What I like about Avatar making as much as it did is that it helps push Titanic that much farther from everyone's memory. I really hated Titanic.
-Iron helps us play-
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 6:35pm
The fact that it has pushed Titanic out of the number one spot is the only bright spot. However, Avatar has benefited enormously not just from average ticket prices higher than Titanic, but the fact that a huge portion of it's total box-office has come from 3D ticket sales which are almost twice as high. It is just a completely preposterous means of comparison.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 8:02pm
Couldn't agree with you more, dEd! I, too "really hated Titanic."
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 1:22pm
How the hell can you hate Titanic?!!!!! It's the perfect movie!!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 1:27pm
Guys may have Titanic, but women sure did love it...
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:34pm
Titanic was the furthest thing from a pefect movie. It was just the most over-produced "chick flick" ever made, and the only reason it made as much money as it did was because of 14 year old girls drooling over Leo De-crap-io!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 6:42pm

I didn't think Titanic was a bad movie, but there were about a dozen movies from 1997 that were better... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105>