Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2009 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

THE LIST Jan. 1- Dec. 31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE LIST Jan. 1- Dec. 31
    Posted: January 27 2010 at 8:07pm
We had to sit through most of 3 hours watching a preposterous love story with an ending we already knew. It wasn't like you could walk into this movie, shout, "Hey everyone, the boat sinks!" and actually spoil it for a single person in the audience...unless George W. Bush happened to be there that night.

On the other hand, we did get to see Leo DiCaprio die a slow and painful death, which I suspect explains the enormous popularity of the film. Give the people what they want and they'll turn out. However, Hollywood already made a much better movie about the Titanic 40 years earlier...A Night To Remember.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

[How the hell can you hate Titanic?!!!!! It's the perfect movie!!!
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 10:50pm
I thought Titanic a decent movie, but all the overbloated hype that it has gotten over the years has been preposterous. Id appreciate that it managed to bring back some of the love themes and dazzle of Hollywood's past (as well as Gloria Stuart's superb performance), but it certainly was not the best picture of the year. Unfortunately, there are still several who consider this film to be one of the greatest of all time (#83, according to the American Film Institute).
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 10:59pm
It should also be noted that Titanic's #83 spot on the American Film Institute's list of 100 greatest movies outranked film such as Ben-Hur (#100), 12 Angry Men (#87), The French Connection (#93), and Doctor Zhivago (taken off the list after being on the list ten years prior at #39).
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 11:08pm
So, in the end, with all of the hype that ultimately led Titanic to Oscar gold, there is still a major possibility that Avatar might also achieve that same goal. (sorry saturnwatcher). We'll just have to wait and see (My vote is still for The Hurt Locker, though).
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:54am
Yeah, and "12 Angry Men" is one of my all-time favorite movies, so you can imagine I wasn't happy with its placement on that list and "Titanic" being higher up.  

Originally posted by augusta87

It should also be noted that Titanic's #83 spot on the American Film Institute's list of 100 greatest movies outranked film such as Ben-Hur (#100), 12 Angry Men (#87), The French Connection (#93), and Doctor Zhivago (taken off the list after being on the list ten years prior at #39).
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 7:36am
As I have previously noted, with ten films in the running the vote could be so badly split that anything could end up winning. Undeserving films have won before with only 5 in the running for the same reason. If anyone at AMPAS had any brains, and it was really necessary for some reason to increase the field to 10 films, they should have gone to a weighted voting system where each voter would select the top five, with, say, 5 points for a first place vote, 4 for second etc. That would reduce the possiblity that a rather mediocre film with a reasonably strong following could sneak past 2 or 3 better films that have divided support.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 12:13pm
That's actually not a bad solution.  The one-vote-per-choice system has a pretty big margin of error, and expanding the category to ten nominations isn't going to help alleviate that problem.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 2:43pm
This whole ten moviesup for Best Picture thing might come back to bite them in the ass. They could up with two or three movies tying for Best Picture. Plus, there's few other movies worthy of BP besides the ones that were up for the Globes' Best Drama category.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
WakeUpStupid View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote WakeUpStupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 6:44pm
This site deserves a Razzie.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 7:44pm
Ooooh... Hungry troll.
-Iron helps us play-
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 9:51pm
Wow! You know, acting like a fool on an Internet forum only makes you look even more ridiculous.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 10:01pm
Please, don't feed the troll...  
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 5:07am
Don't point out the troll's own stupidity, it's not worth it.
augusta87 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote augusta87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:17pm

I have to admit, I feel a little stupid for not knowing what a troll was (I had to ask someone), but I think it's kinda' funny too. Oh well. If you can't laugh at yourself...  LOL

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:22pm
An internet troll, to define, is a person who actively looks for a negative reaction. And then they get their jollies laughing at how mad people get.
And to "feed the troll" is to give them the kind of reaction they're looking for.
-Iron helps us play-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 4:01pm

Movie ratings:

1)*/*****:

SECRETOS DE FAMILIA got 20%/2,0/F.

2)**/*****:

-VAN WILDER 3:FRESHMAN YEAR and WHATEVER WORKS got 30%/3,0/D-.

-LEGALLY BLONDES and SUPER got 40%/4,0/D.

3)***/*****:

-“HACHI”:A DOG’S TALE got 50%/4,5/C-.

-AN EDUCATION, BROTHERS, IT’S COMPLICATED, “JULIE” & “JULIA”, MY SISTER’S KEEPER, PAUL BLART:MALL COP, SHERLOCK HOLMES, THE ROAD and ZONAD got 60%/5,0/C.

4)****/*****:

AVATAR, CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, LA NANA/THE MAID and UP got 80%/6,0/B+.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105