Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > MOVIES & DVDs of the WEEK > BEST BAD CABLE MOVIE of the WEEK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

THE LOVED ONE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE LOVED ONE
    Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:58am

THE LOVED ONE (1965)

Based on an Evelyn Waugh novel, and so perfectly satirizing Southern California's funeral industry that Forest Lawn sued MGM to prevent its release, THE LOVED ONE is that rarest of mainstream movies: A deliberately tasteless romp that's riotously funny.

Starring Robert Morse as a ne'er-do-well British youth forced to deal with his deceased uncle John Gielgud's Hollywood funeral, it gets in digs at advice columnists, mama's boys, the business end of running a cemetery where weddings are also performed, and the uniquely California phenomenon of pet burial grounds. 

It co-stars Jonathon Winters giving a pair of wild-eyed performances as two twisted twins, one of whom owns Whispering Glade (a "reputable" cemetery) the other of whom runs a decidedly run-down pet cemetery across town. This is the film in which Winters, trying to turn a profit on his real estate now cluttered with caskets, speaks the immortal line: "There must be some way to get those stiffs off my property!" Besides, who could hate a movie that features Liberace in a cameo as a casket salesman, extolling the virtues of various coffin-lining fabrics??

It airs Friday, March 21 on TCM, and is also available on DVD...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 2:25pm
This movie was guaranteed to offend EVERYONE?????

Did you ever see "SKIDOO"? Now any movie that had Jackie Gleason taking an LSD trip and Groucho Marx as a dope dealer, now THAT is a movie that OFF-ends so much, it ON-ends the masses, too!
GIVE KIRK CAMERON THE RAZZING HE DESERVES!!!!!!
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 6:58am
I didn't think SKIDOO was as bad as THE LOVED ONE... What was so bad about this one was that my first job was working for a funeral home as a file clerk...and I think my past experiences with that job might have something to do with me not liking this movie...

On my first day of the job I asked what I had to do... Without missing a beat...the boss said to "file anything not moving in the office"... I learned enough about that job that I don't want to step foot in a funeral home again as long as I live... Too much grief for my taste...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:52am

When I first saw the title of the topic, the very first movie that popped into my mind was Skidoo (retitled by one critic Skidoodoo). But I see that Joe Bacon beat me to the nomination. One thing Joe failed to mention was just how bad that scene featuring Gleason's LSD trip was.

Unfortunately, it wasn't even the lowlight of the movie. Watching garbage cans sprout arms and legs and sing a Nilsson song is about as much pain as anyone can film, or endure. But the film still hadn't hit rock bottom.

We thought that arrived when an ancient George Raft completely flushed all positive memories of his movie career just by appearing in the film, but one final assault remained. Nilsson actually SANG the closing credits (a bad idea no one has ever repeated, to the best of my knowledge).

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 5:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply