Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Most Original Movie Ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most Original Movie Ever
    Posted: September 20 2009 at 12:14pm
We all do our fair share of complaining about how Hollywood doesn't release anything original anymore, well at least one studio has heard your voice and is doing something about it, ladies and gentlemen i present to you the most original movie ever made... RoboGeisha

(You have to Copy & paste this, it wasn't letting me post it as a link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgrKLjoWcbs

I laughed, I cried, I got a Chubby???

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 3:27pm
That is something ... different. True, it's not a sequel, remake, or adpatation. But then again, Japan has also given us stuff like "Machine Gun Girl", about a Japanese Schoolgirl with a gattling gun for an arm. I'm waiting for the Americanized remake any time in the next decade. Now all we need is for an AMERICAN movie studio to step up and create an original movie, too. Don't hold your breath on that one.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 3:46am
It's funny, yea... But remember, it's HOLLYWOOD that's the problem, not Tokyo or Paris or Berlin or wherever other countries make their movies. They don't churn them out like we do. Bollywood probably has a lot of crap.
But to this movie's discredit, it's a lot like an anime, from what I can see.
-Iron helps us play-
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 7:36am
I'm well aware of the problem with Hollywood, I just wanted to make light of the fact that this is the craziest f**king trailer I've ever seen, by poking fun at Hollywood's complete unoriginality.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 8:30am

Hmmm...a user posting something good about a movie, and everyone gets along with him. I don't know, this seems hypocritical.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: In case you hadn't noticed, the tone of this string is satirical. And your posting promoting PARANORMAL ACTIVITY was devoid of any humorous intent...

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 11:04am
Not to rub salt in a wound, but I would note that on the couple of  occasions where I have endorsed movies on this board, it has been on the basis of personal experience, not hearsay and the recommendations of a small number of critics from sources like fearnet and bloody disgusting. Film critics from sources that make a living promoting horror movies aren't likely to be the most objective source. Similarly, it should be noted that you (mwg) do not have a track record for being particularly critical of anything in the horror genre, and your endorsement of Paranormal Activity does not appear to be based on personal experience.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

it has been on the basis of personal experience, not hearsay and the recommendations of a small number of critics from sources like fearnet and bloody disgusting.

You forgot Variety. Oh, right, you forgot about that source giving the film a highly positive review too.

Film critics from sources that make a living promoting horror movies aren't likely to be the most objective source.

True, but they are the best places to get an opinion on horror movies. Here's an example why: If you would like to know if this new candy that just came out is good, would you ask a kid or an adult, both of whom have tasted it? The kid., The same goes from here. There have been many horror sites that have been giving Halloween 2 (2009) a negative review along with many other horror movies.

Similarly, it should be noted that you (mwg) do not have a track record for being particularly critical of anything in the horror genre

Oh, yes, I have. Look through the site. You will find many.

and your endorsement of Paranormal Activity does not appear to be based on personal experience.

And many peoples' endorsement for District 9 seem to be appeared on someone else's experience so I don't get your point. The reason I'm promoting the movie is because it would probably open wider if more people see the movie. It's not showing anywhere in my place so the more attention it gets, the wider the release gets.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 12:26pm

First of all, MWG, there is a bit of a difference between Mayhem posting a link for a trailer and essentially saying, "Hey guys, take a look at this (the trailer)" and you saying, "Hey, this movie is getting great reviews and the people who have seen it love it! Spread the word!" or something very much to that effect. There are 7 (count em) reviews at RT. Almost all of them are from sites that promote horror flicks. The one positive review from Variety is interesting, but not very compelling. Variety publishes reviews by a variety of critics and the opinion of one is never to be construed as an official endorsement by the magazine.

Second...I don't particularly accept your notion that reviews from the people at horror sites are necessarily a favored source. I'd be more inclined to listen to people who aren't getting paid to pimp those films. By the way, if I want to know if a new candy is good, I'll look at the ingredients and if they are appealing, I'll try it myself. The very last people I would ask for an opinion would be children. If, on the other hand, I were getting paid to promote and sell the candy, children would undoubtedly represent the lion's share of endorsements I offered to the public.  

Nor am I  particularly surprised that horror sites haven't been positively reviewing Halloween 2. They most likely are as sick of remakes as we are.

As for District 9, I saw it myself, didn't like it...some people here did. That is fine. The point is that those of us here who discussed the film ultimately didn't rely on someone else's opinion. Those who haven't seen it can make a more informed decision on the basis of very divergent views of the film and at least allow them to understand that this is a very different film than they might expect based on the trailers.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 1:08pm

1. To dEd's comment: Yeah, Japan is way ahead of America in terms of turning their anime series into live action movies. And unlike H-Wood, they like to do somewhere totally crazy. Are you seating down? They actually stay loyal to the source material rather than make stupid stuff up! I know, isn't that madness? As for Bollywood, they pretty much take H-Wood movies and reshoot them scene for scene, except for song and dance routines they add in.

2. MWG and saturnwatcher's comments: saturn makes many good points. Of course fearnet is going to give rave reviews of horror movies, that's the sole reason why that company exists. It's like asking Stan Lee if he approves of his Marvel characters being made into movies, of course he's going to love it. And as we have explained time and time again, of course a movie is going to have rave reviews at RT when it only has SEVEN reviews. As proven time and time again, after more reviews come in, that once great RT rating goes down to a more reasonable level. And lastly, Mayhem was joking about the movie he posted. It's clearly a bad movie and it was posted here for us to make fun of. That's what we do. What we do NOT do is promote movies that we proclaim as "good" based on our own opinions and/or the opinions of seven sources, because that goes against what this forum is all about.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

First of all, MWG, there is a bit of a difference between Mayhem posting a link for a trailer and essentially saying, "Hey guys, take a look at this (the trailer)" and you saying, "Hey, this movie is getting great reviews and the people who have seen it love it! Spread the word!" or something very much to that effect. There are 7 (count em) reviews at RT. Almost all of them are from sites that promote horror flicks. The one positive review from Variety is interesting, but not very compelling. Variety publishes reviews by a variety of critics and the opinion of one is never to be construed as an official endorsement by the magazine.

How convenient that you make an excuse for Variety but when they give a negative review for a film listed here, all of you guys appreciate it than with the grain of salt you're taking their review for PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

The point is that those of us here who discussed the film ultimately didn't rely on someone else's opinion.

Out of all people, you tell me this? I'm probably the only person in a seven mile radius that has gone against the grain.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Michaels

2. MWG and saturnwatcher's comments: saturn makes many good points. Of course fearnet is going to give rave reviews of horror movies, that's the sole reason why that company exists.

Um...wrong. They gave both H2 and TFD VERY negative reviews. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-452/ This reviewer from the site agrees with the critical consensus 75% of the time. Lemme see. He also didn't like "Jennifer's Body."

And as we have explained time and time again, of course a movie is going to have rave reviews at RT when it only has SEVEN reviews.

With an average of 8.4/10? I don't think so. "Drag Me to Hell" had like 13 reviews with an average of 8.1/10 and you know what? It stayed along with that range until it finally had an average rating of around 7.6/10 with hundreds of more reviews. That's HIGH, even on RT.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

How convenient that you make an excuse for Variety but when they give a negative review for a film listed here, all of you guys appreciate it than with the grain of salt you're taking their review for PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

I'm not "making an excuse" for anyone. I'm making a statement of fact. Dennis Harvey is one of several critics on the payroll of  Variety Magazine. The opinions he offers as a critic do not necessarily represent an official endorsement by the magazine. Whether he says something positive or negative about a particular film, it represents the opinion of Steve Harvey, not necessarily Variety. I defy to you find a single instance where I, or anyone else on this board has quoted a critic who's work has been published in Variety where any one of us ever said, "Variety Magazine said 'xxx xxx xxx xxxx' about Movie Y." I think most everyone here understands that individual critics or columnists are paid to voice individual opinions. Endorsements are made only by collective editorial boards.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 4:44pm

You gotta love how this started as a "hey, look at this campy movie, isn't it funny" thread into yet another MWG defending his opinion thread.

PS: Yeah, "Drag Me To Hell" has a 7.6/100 RT rating after 100 reviews. That's a "reasonable" rating after 100 reviews. However, claiming a movie posted in these forums is going to stay at 100% after 100 reviews is NOT reasonable.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 7:24am
Sometimes it seems a good facepalm is much more appropriate than an argument.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Michaels

PS: Yeah, "Drag Me To Hell" has a 7.6/100 RT rating after 100 reviews. That's a "reasonable" rating after 100 reviews. However, claiming a movie posted in these forums is going to stay at 100% after 100 reviews is NOT reasonable.

I never stated that the film will be 100% after 100 reviews. You're the one making it seem that I say that, distorting information so you can make me look like an idiot while users on here poke fun at me. Don't worry. You're making me close from quitting here and I'm sure many of you won't care because all of you are conformists who don't express their own opinion but follow with the majority.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 11:53am
I still don't see how the term idiot ever applies to taste, at least not on an individual level. Although, I'd say that with the way that America watches terrible movies, one can safely conclude that they're idiots.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>