Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > KARATE KID (2010)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The SON Also Rises?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SON Also Rises?!?!?
    Posted: June 05 2010 at 8:54am
And Gene Wilder did the same regarding the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, yet it was a financial and critical success. Abel Ferrara said this about The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans: "As far as remakes go, ... I wish these people died in Hell. I hope they're all in the same streetcar, and it blows up." And guess what? That film was also a critical success, even people have gone as far to say Nicholas Cage gave one of his best performances. And George A. Romero didn't like the remake of Dawn of the Dead , but even that was a critical and commercial success. 
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 10:32am
You forgot that the original stars of "Dukes of Hazzard" hated the movie version with Jessica Simpson ... and it went on to get 7 Razzie nods!  

As much I don't wish death onto people in order to stop studios from making remakes, it now seems to be the only way to make it stop!  

Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe the people who originally starred in the movie or the audiences at originally saw them in theaters are INSULTED that something they once held dear in their hearts were declared "outdated" or "irrelevant" by studios and are now looked upon as cash cows to be milked from, rather than leaving them alone as the classics that they are?  

How would you like it if a few years from now, one of your favorite movies that you thought was perfectly fine as is was is being remade?  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 8:07am
I actually did think of that, but I try to keep my mind open, because, maybe, the remake can be the next The Departed. I try not to judge.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 11:01am
Oh please, "The Departed" isn't even Martin Scorese's best movie! "Goodfellas" or "Raging Bull" is, they really just gave him those Oscars out of pity for passing him over so many times!  

As for not judging, come on kid, it's human nature to judge things. If you just sit in the theater and just smile the entire time, not judging the movie or comparing it to the original, then you're just the kind of robotic movie-goer that studio heads love.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 8:33pm
I'm gonna guess that this movie will piss off fans of the original, make Pat Morita turn in his grave and cause Jackie Chan to secure a Worst Actor nod.  As of right now, Worst Actor is down to Jackie Chan and Robert Pattinson.  If one doesn't win, the other will.
Gregory View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 10:10pm
I don't know how much screen time Chan has in this film but perhaps he should get a Worst Supporting Actor nod (Morita received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the original film) and Smith a Worst Actor nod.

Chan could still get a Worst Actor nod for The Spy Next Door.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 11:28pm
Another way might be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head! 

Also, make sure the movies don't suck. 

Given that that's easier said than done, we could persuade RevolutionMuslim to declare these remakes offensive (Cinematic Stink Bombs thread revival, anyone?).  It's not wishing death, but just using the bigwigs' cowardice (see what Comedy Central did with 3 South Park episodes; I bet the studios would also cower) to save people 2 and a half hours of their lives.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 4:37am
Jackie Chan as Worst Actor? No! More like Ashton Kutcher, or the entire male cast of "Expendables" for Worst Actor *cough*Worst Ensemble Cast*cough*.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 4:39am
Great! Who here is going to start this ideal studio?  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Another way would be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 8:08am
Tyler Perry is probably the only person I can think of that created his own studio. He gets complete creative control for his projects and makes loads of money off of them. Lionsgate just distributes them. 

Another way might be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 8:23am
That's why I said it was easier said than done.  And even the "ideal" studio won't be perfect.  It seems like no one is out there to take action...they either don't know what to do (same here with me) or they simply don't care if everything is remakes anymore. 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Great! Who here is going to start this ideal studio?  

Another way would be to create your own studio.  Design it in a manner that encourages people to develop ideas and embrace originality.  Be reasonable with sequels: only do it if there is much to build on.  Remakes: NO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!  Unless people are absolutely desperate for a remake, get it out of your head!

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 10:19am
I'm part of the problem as well: I don't expect to have a degree in film production. Worse, I have a mild disability that inhibits my creativity, so I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a film idea that's never been done before.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:20am
True, but then Perry goes and makes the exact same movie over and over again.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Tyler Perry is probably the only person I can think of that created his own studio. He gets complete creative control for his projects and makes loads of money off of them. Lionsgate just distributes them.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:22am
Well, back in the day (the 90s), indie movies were all the rage, with filmmakers rising money on their own and making movies that helped them get their feet in the door. Sadly, nowadays some of  these same filmmakers make comic book movies or remakes.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 11:23am
Yeah, they say you don't really learn anything from film school, and once you do get your degree, you're lucky to go on to become a best boy grip or go-fer.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 9:36am
It's the same here at Chile, except that the best you can become is a TV "writer." And by "writer," I mean someone who spends hours researching the most succesful TV shows, downloading their scripts, and then translating them into Spanish!  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>