Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > KARATE KID (2010)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The SON Also Rises?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SON Also Rises?!?!?
    Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:00am
So, I guess it's time to post my review:

12-year-old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life. --© Sony

I'm sorry. It's not going to wait. I have to say it now: THE KARATE KID is easily one of the best movies of the year. And I'll be honest, I'm pretty glad to say that because it has been a pretty mediocre year for movies so far, and we're halfway through it! But before I say anything else, I need to come clean and say I haven't seen the original film. OK. Now I got that out of the way, let's begin. I liked the story a lot. Sure, underdog films are predictable, but I personally enjoy them immensely, especially if they're well made, like this film. There's a lot of heart in here.

The thing that stuck out most for me in this film is the setting of China. The film really benefits from this because there are rarely any Hollywood films that take place in this beautiful country. It's great to see scenes that are on location from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall. There's no CGI or built sets from California. The scenery is just fascinating. What you see is what you get. And seeing the story takes place in this country, there's an authentic feel that is brought to the film. The gorgeous cinematography just adds more to the "wow" factor to audiences who have never been to China.

The second thing that impressed me was the diverse cast. It's great to see Asians and African Americans filling the roles of a Hollywood film. You don't see that much these days. And the missing stereotypes is a huge plus in my book! Some of you might be hesitant about Jaden Smith playing the lead role but I gotta tell you, this kid has a lot of acting chops. His performance is vulnerable and you sympathize for his character. Oh, and this is the best performance I've ever seen from Jackie Chan. He gives a really powerful and emotional performance. There was one or two scenes that made me cry because of how raw his acting was. The chemistry between these two actors could not have been better. Taraji P. Henson is good although wasn't as great as Smith and Chan. Lastly, Wenwen Han was pretty good as Smith's love interest.

Now, the fight scenes. You wouldn't notice by the trailers but, I have to admit, they were pretty damn brutal and shocking. The fact that most of the fighting is done by kids just adds on to the surprisingly heavy quality of the film. The running time for the film is around 140 minutes, which may seem long and tedious and more than it should be, but due to the great pacing of the film, you would hardly notice it at all. It gives the characters, especially our protagonist, time to develop and grow. The score by Howard Shore is fantastic as well.

Overall, THE KARATE KID is THE movie to see this summer. The performances are freaking fantastic and the third act will certainly make you stand up and cheer. It's also a great movie for all ages. Sure, the story is predictable but it's well made and there's a lot of heart to it. If that's not good enough for an underdog film, then what is? I know it's stupid and clichéd but I'll just say it anyway: The film is a winner! 9/10
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:14am
I'll let this one slide, since it isn't your usual high grade for some horror movie that was universally panned by critics...  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Overall, THE KARATE KID is THE movie to see this summer. The performances are freaking fantastic and the third act will certainly make you stand up and cheer. It's also a great movie for all ages. Sure, the story is predictable but it's well made and there's a lot of heart to it. If that's not good enough for an underdog film, then what is? I know it's stupid and clichéd but I'll just say it anyway: The film is a winner! 9/10
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:19pm
By reaching 70% at RT, this movie is officially "good"...
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 2:52pm
Probably, but once a movie's been listed on a Razzies sub-forum, it's here to stay... 
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 2:58pm
HeadRazz,why did you edit my post to turn it into a question?
I wrote: By reaching 70% at R.T., this movie is now "good".
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:03pm
2 and a half hours??? I could get my laundry done quicker than that.
Fred Cooper
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:08pm
I don't think even the original was that long! Why take nearly three hours to retell a story everyone already knows?  
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 3:39pm
I've also noticed that most of the films that got forums here got reviews just barely below average. Can anything be done in regards to this? Can any conclusions be drawn?
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 4:28pm
126 minutes. 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Originally posted by moorlock2003

I don't think even the original was that long.

No.The forums are created before the movies come out.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

I've also noticed that most of the films that got forums here got reviews just barely below average. Can anything be done in regards to this? Can any conclusions be drawn?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 4:59pm
Keep in mind, these forums seem to just be a way to keep track of the movies most likely to be Razzies worthy, but by the end of the year, only a dozen (or less) make it to the final voting ballots.  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 5:01pm
And the fact that is still made money is incredible. 

Oh, and you barely notice the long running time while watching the film. One of the many strong points in the film.  

Originally posted by moorlock2003

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 5:07pm
You call $56 million "making money"?? I'm sure the studios was hoping for twice that amount. Looks like "Avatar" sucked everyone's wallets dry and there will be very few movies making $100 million on opening weekend, other than "Ironman 2". Still, it's better than "Bangcock Dangerous" with just $7 million! LOL
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 2:04pm
For me, the problem starts with the title. I don't like kids. 
Fred Cooper
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 3:39pm
For me is also the title.It's Kung-Fu,not Karate!
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 6:03pm
So I'm guessing you wouldn't want to have a baby anytime soon?  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 4:31pm
Jackie Chan's Mister Hun straight out says "I will teach you reall kung-fu!" Not to mention, the crane kick that was used in the original movie is a move from a kung-fu style of fighting, so this series has always been "The Kung-Fu Kid." But I guess "The Karate Kid" flows better. 

Originally posted by Vits

For me is also the title.It's Kung-Fu,not Karate!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>