Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > KARATE KID (2010)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The SON Also Rises?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SON Also Rises?!?!?
    Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:41pm
Gee, it will only be a matter of time before American movies become like that. Oh wait, they already have, with the J-horror movies and remakes of movies from only three years ago!  

Originally posted by Vits

It's the same here at Chile,except that the best you can become is a TV writer.And by "writer" I mean someone who spends hours researching for the most succesful TV shows,downloading the script and translating them into spanish.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 5:46pm
Well, it looks like Karate Kid isn't Razzie material as of now.  At 53% on the Tomatometer, it looks destined not to be a bad movie, but simply mediocre. Stern Smile The A-Team (45%) is close behind.

BTW, it seems that the J-horror remakes have been rare as of late.  I don't think wehave to worry about Death Water (2006 J-horror film known as Mizuchi) or The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty being remade into American turds.  Also absent are Seltzerberg.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 6:09pm
Yes, the Japaense-horror remake fad is dead, thanks to one failure after another. However, news has spread that Seltzerberg will return this August with "Vampire Movie"!  

Originally posted by Berrynoia

BTW, it seems that the J-horror remakes have been rare as of late.  I don't think wehave to worry about Death Water (2006 J-horror film known as Mizuchi) or The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty being remade into American turds.  Also absent are Seltzerberg.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 8:11am
You know what's funny? The film's getting better reviews than expected. But The A-Team is the one to see. Funny how the latter film was gonna receive prestigious Razzie mentions, yet has garnered enough fresh reviews at RottenTomatoes to dodge the bullet.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 11:36am
Well folks, no matter how good or bad the reboot movie is, there's always the Encore Channel, which will be showing all four of the original movies in a row. So for those of you how refuse to accept this new quick buck, er, I mean movie, you can always watch the originals.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 3:27pm
This film is getting better reviews than expected despite a lot of people loathing this remake. Don't believe me? Look at IMDb. Seriously, 99.9% of the threads there are all negative and the fact that there are some positive reviews angers most of the users there. But for me, I did expect the positive reviews because a couple of months ago at that Disney expo (or whatever it was) the reactions were surprisingly positive, to a point that Comingsoon.net called it an Oscar contender! 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 3:29pm
But aren't the 1980s sequels like...bad?  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Well folks, no matter how good or bad the reboot movie is, there's always the Encore Channel, which will be showing all four of the original movies in a row. So for those of you how refuse to accept this new quick buck, er, I mean movie, you can always watch the originals.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 5:52pm
Yes, they are, 90% of the time, and the "Karate Kid" sequels are no different. As I said in the post, watch all of them, IF YOU LIKE. Me -- I'm only watching the first, because that's the only one that matters.  

Remakes, on the other hand, are from the devil! Their sole reason for being is to "remake" the money that the original movie made during the height of its popularity.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 9:37pm
I know this belongs in another thread (which has yet to be created, but most certainly will and you know why),  but when was this first heard of?  The IMDB and Wikipedia pages have just started, and the news articles only date back as far as last May.  Did Seltzerberg keep this movie hidden during the (un)production process?  Next time, remind me not to speak too soon. UPDATE: there is a listing for an "LA Art Movie" that was announced last February...but that's still only four months ago! 

Anyway, back to Karate Kid Remake. 

Then again, KK isn't really Razzie-grade material.  It's simply so-so and unnecessary.   

Yes, the J-horror remake fad is dead, thanks to one failure after another. However, news has spread that Seltzerberg will return this August with "Vampire Movie"!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 1:34pm
Didn't we all agree that no one here gives a s*** what people say at the IMDb forums, regardless if it's positive or negative? As for being an Oscar contender, the only way that's happening is if they stick with the 10 Best Pictures rule so they can include movies that people actually saw.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

The film is getting better reviews than expected because a lot of people are loathing this remake. Don't believe me? Look at IMDb. Seriously, 99.9% of the threads there are all negative and the fact that there are some positive reviews anger most of the users there. But for me, I did expect the positive reviews because a couple of months ago in that Disney expo or whatever it was, the reactions were surprisingly positive to a point that Comingsoon.net called it an Oscar contender.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 3:14pm
I thought you meant only positive.  

Anyway, saw the movie today and I'm not going to talk about how good the movie. I'm going to talk about my theater experience for this film because it was a sensational one. I've never, in my life, went into a movie where the audience was cheering 10 (or more) straight times in a row until I went to see this movie. Wow. It was pretty amazing. Mostly everyone in the audience was cheering in the third act through and through. The film was a fantastic experience.  

Didn't we all agree that no one here gives a s*** what people say at the IMDb forums, regardless if it's positive or negative? As for being an Oscar contender, the only way that's happening is if they stick with the 10 Best Pictures rule so they can include movies that people actually saw.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 3:15pm
Very good point. One would thing that eventually, the movie going public would rebel en masse to having to pay to see the same movie over and over.  

Remakes, on the other hand, are of the devil! Their sole reaosn for being are to "remake" the money that the original movie made during the height of their popularity.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
DaveThePhotoGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 2:19am
F**k this remake up it's arse...as HeadRazzie said there is no way Gaydom Smith would be in this if it were'nt for his parents producing it (and by that I mean producing a peice of turd in Bono like proportions), I will watch this but luckily I am in a place where I can get very cheap dvds so I won't be wasting my hard earned cash on this sh**e.
I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:04pm
Wow. Your logic is insane. If his parents are producing the film, they have the right to put their son in it. That's how life is. That's why Stan Lee could be in every comic book adaptation and why Hitchcock can make cameos in his films. If it's your film, you can do whatever you want with it. It's stupid to think otherwise. And it's a really great film. Easily one of the best films of the year.  

Originally posted by DaveThePhotoGuy

F**k this remake up it's arse...as HeadRazzie said there is no way Gaydom Smith would be in this if it were'nt for his parents producing it (and by that I mean producing a peice of turd in Bono like proportions), I will watch this but luckily I am in a place where I can get very cheap dvds so I won't be wasting my hard earned cash on this sh**e.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:38pm
Well, if anything nice could be said about the "Karate Kid" movies, it's that like the "Rocky" movies, they are crowd pleasing movies. Not always good movies, but crowd pleasing ones.  

Anyway, saw the movie today and I'm not going to talk about how good the movie. I'm going to talk about my theater experience for this film because it was a sensational one. I've never, in my life, went into a movie where the audience was cheering 10 (or more) straight times in a row until I went to see this movie. Wow. It was pretty amazing. Mostly everyone in the audience was cheering in the third act through and through. The film was a fantastic experience.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 12:48pm
Okay, once again, your heart is in the right place, but your logic is flawed. Does Stan Lee cast himself as the lead character in every superhero movie that's adapted from his comic books? No! Did Hitchcock cast himself as the lead of every movie he made? No! So, you can't say doing cameros and being the lead are the same thing, considering Lee and Hitchcock are only on screen for mere seconds and usually don't speak. The Smiths should hire the best kid actor for the role that must be able to carry the movie. Jayden has failed to do that in supporting roles in his past movies. In other words, casting your son for the lead role is more in your own personal interest, rather than the best interest of the movie.  

Wow. Your logic is insane. If his parents are producing the film, they have the right to put their son in it. That's how life is. That's why Stan Lee could be in every comic book adaptation and why Hitchcock can make cameos in his films. If it's your film, you can do whatever you want with it. It's stupid to think otherwise. And it's a really great film. Easily one of the best films of the year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>