Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > NEXT DAY AIR
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

They Made a Movie, but Will ANYBODY Come?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They Made a Movie, but Will ANYBODY Come?
    Posted: May 04 2009 at 5:51am

ONE of HOLLYWOOD's FAVORITE GIMMICKS IS CALLED "COUNTER-PROGRAMMING" -- OPENING a MEDIOCRE MOVIE in COMPETITION with a BLOCK-BUSTER, in HOPES of GARNERING LEFT-OVERS from MULTIPLEXES WHERE the BLOCK-BUSTER IS SELLING OUT.

BUT STAR TREK LOOKS LIKE MORE THAN JUST a BLOCK-BUSTER -- IT LOOKS LIKELY to SUCK UP 80% OR MORE of ALL TICKET SALES for the SECOND WEEKEND of MAY. AND TREK IS ALSO OPENING on a RECORD NUMBER of SCREENS (OVER 4,000 NATIONWIDE) MEANING THERE MAY NOT BE ANY LEFT-OVERS for NEXT DAY AIR to CATCH LIKE CRUMBS from a BANQUET TABLE.

NEXT DAY NOT ONLY LOOKS LIKE IT COULDN'T CHALLENGE EVEN a MID-RANGE MOVIE for BOX OFFICE DOMINANCE, IT ALSO LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT SHOULD MAYBE HAVE BEEN RELEASED "DIRECT-to-COMEDY-CENTRAL"...

SO BASICALLY WHAT YOU HAVE HERE IS a "LOSE/LOSE" PROPOSITION.

GUESS WE'LL KNOW by MONDAY MORNING JUST HOW MUCH NEXT DAY LOST...

3 of NEXT DAY's PRODUCERS: "We realize the only way to get anyone into theatres for this...is at gunpoint!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 6:51am

No one ever accused the studio heads of being geniuses... Releasing a film like this opposite Star Trek may be a great way to see it hit DVD before the end of June...

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 1:47pm
It's got a good enough cast... or at least Donald Faison and Mos Def, both of whom I like a lot.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:28pm

Mos Def was probably the only redeeming part of "Be Kind, Rewind" ... But then again, that isn't saying much...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:16pm

This reminds me of last year when Uwe Boll tried to get Postal in over a thousand theatres to counter-program against Indy Nukes the Fridge.  When all was said and done, Postal wasn't lucky enough to land in even a dozen theatres, and Boll cried "censorship" (much like the boy who cried wolf).

In no way is Next Day Air gonna be as bad as Postal was, and it probably could garner a thousand screens, unlike Postal ever will.  Still, Next Day Air sounds like chokesville -- and going up against Star Trek, it's gonna be a slaughter.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:21pm

Speaking of Postal vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Nuked Fridge... I think I would have hated myself less if I had chosen to watch Postal -- at least that one I KNEW would be awful!

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:43pm

Um, yes, you think studios would just buy a clue and NOT release anything opposite "Star Trek". When there's a shoe-in blockbuster coming out, and you can't count it with a blockbuster of your own, just wait until next week. That, or put your movie out Direct-to-DVD, which is what they should have done with this movie.

PS: Mos Def is usually the saving grace of any movie he is in.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 5:39pm

I imagine that what the studio thinks is going to happen is that the crowd that doesn't want to be called "Trekkies" will head to see Next Day Air instead. There could be a surprising number of those types out there this weekend...

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 12:43am

Maybe that's what I'll do...buy a ticket for Next Day Air, and then go see Star Trek instead.

-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:19am

All the cool people will be doing that, to make sure they aren't labeled as "geeks." That way, they won't want to have to beat themselves up...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:00am

Why go see "Next Day Air" when you could just go see "Wolverine" for the first, second (or third) time?

In other words, "Next Day Air" is doomed, no matter what...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 3:23pm
I just saw a commercial for this film and it had positive reviews.  Apparently, none of those reviews made it to RT yet.  That leaves the question: What will the other reviews look like?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Speaking of Postal vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Nuked Fridge... I think I would have hated myself less if I had chosen to watch Postal -- at least that one I KNEW would be awful!

I saw both of them. I'm just now getting over hating myself.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 4:53pm

I saw Crystal Skull, and the Clone Wars thing... I still hate George Lucas.... And I want my will to live back.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 3:17am

Leave it to Lucas to ruin the two most popular and successful movie series of all time. Maybe while he's at it, he can form a production company with Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, and Seltzerberg. Together, they will rule the movie universe, and by "rule", I mean "destroy".

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I saw Crystal Skull, and the Clone Wars thing... I still hate George Lucas.... And I want my will to live back.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:11am

Michael Bay should be good at destroying things... I mean, his Explosions-per-minute ratings are pretty high. Together with George Lucas, I shudder to think of what they could do to our universe... Adding Boll and Seltzerberg to the mix... *shudders* The speed at which the universe could crumble would be impossible to calculate...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>