Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Stallone is NOT such a bad actor!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stallone is NOT such a bad actor!
    Posted: February 17 2014 at 1:22pm
I think TARAN-ROD might be Stallone in disguise JK
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:42am
Taran-Rod, read my previous post and click the link. I think the people there would enjoy your comments much more than here.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:24am
I disagree with all the Stallone's nominations... and you know i'm right to think this way because it's the absolute truth!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 9:01am
Click here, press CTRL+F and type his name.
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

just Like with Arnold Schwarzenegger, people only like Stallone because he can do action in a lot of films people consider Guilty Pleasures.
One's performance has to be molded according to the movie. That's why funny performances have gotten Oscars. If an action movie requires the lead to be cool or badass, no problem. But you can't just hire a tough-looking guy. This is more obvious in THE EXPENDABLES movies: Jason Statham should be the lead because he has a real screen presence. Unlike Sly, Arnold, Jet Li and Bruce Willis, he doesn't just say his lines in a monotonous tone.

Here's what they each should do: Sly should stop playing it safe do more dramas. I thought he was as good in ROCKY BALBOA as he was in the 1st one. His excuse has always been "I want to give the people want they want". Then why were all of your 2013 movies box office flops? And why did you destroy ROCKY, JUDGE DREDD and TONY MANERO? As for Arnold, he has a lot less range. But at least he should stop trying to play everyday guys (TOTAL RECALL; JINGLE ALL THE WAY; COLLATERAL DAMAGE). He's not believable that way.
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

The bad part of all this is it seems like a lot of people don't get Acting is an actual Art. People seem to think Acting is not a big deal and everyone can do it. In reality, people go to schools just to master this art that is actually really difficult to master. Guys like Schwarzenegger and Stallone mainly get a pass because their names often get related to words like "Cool" or Badass".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 6:48pm
The thing with Stallone is this: I think a lot of people know he's not that great an actor. But just Like with Arnold Schwarzenegger, people only like Stallone because he can do action in a lot of films people consider Guilty Pleasures. This is both a good and bad thing. It's a good thing because I have seen both these guys in a lot of action films and they tend not to have a lot of dialogue that requires a lot of range.

The bad part of all this is it seems like a lot of people don't get Acting is an actual Art. People seem to think Acting is not a big deal and everyone can do it. In reality, people go to schools just to master this art that is actually really difficult to master. Guys like Schwarzenegger and Stallone mainly get a pass because their names often get related to words like "Cool" or Badass".
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 12:26pm
Oh yes, I'm sorry, because Kirk talking like a robot makes for such a better movie going experience than him being an emotional jerk. I'm so sorry that the lack of a father figure can make you a prick because, you know, that's Basic Psychology 101. Oh wait, Luke Skywalker wasn't an ass because he had Uncle Owen to take him under his wing. Oh, and Anakin had Obi-Wen to look up to, but him becoming a (whiny, crybaby) jerk had more to do with his MOTHER being killed, so your whole arugement is null and void. Nice try, but FAIL. And yeah, I would hate a pair of movies, too, if they proved how lame the childhood hero I used looked up to really was.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 8:44am
Yeah, sorry, I dont belive in the whole my dads dead so I've been a jerk my whole life. That cliches is extremly old and, in a messed up sort of way, that cliche is used in another film, or set of films, that we have been talking about latley....the star wars films. Btw, con goers seemed to hate star trek 5 and generations....so its unwise to call them unbiased. There was no sigh of relief at Kirks death, most fans wouldve preferred if the dude kept making star trek and were upset when Shatners character was killed off. You accuse any fan of being too biased and too crazy. That may be true for some fans, but their are plenty of fans of various films and shows who realize when a bad film is made (Fans of Friday the 13th hated Jason X, fans of highlander hated all its sequels, fans of star wars hated attack of the clones, and fans of Star Trek were very very mixed about Trek 5).
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 6:21pm
Yeah, Pike's Kirk came across as prick, on account of not having a father figure in his life. This is a little something we like to call character development. Also, he spoke like a normal human being, rather than having to pause after every two words like he was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. As for con-goers, come on man, those are bias, uncritical fans, they'll defend Shatner with their dying breath just as you have been doing because they are judging him through their childhood memories. And, just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's good or better than something else being compared to it. "Transformers 2" made nearly a billion dollars world-wide, yet it still had a 20% at RT and won three top prize Razzies. Lastly, with the killing of Kirk, sure it's passing the torch, but was also a sigh of relief that Shatner was finally gone from the series.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:45pm
Shatner was offered a part in the remake, but Abrams said  Shatner was too busy at the time. The Kirk in the new film came off as a self centered prick, who only wanted fame and glory, wereas Shatners Kirk always was compassionate and caring towards the other crew members. The Star Trek fans still love Shatner dearly, and have far from distanced themselves from him. I'm not sure you have been to enough conventions to state what you have to say about his popularity among admirers of the show. The fans of the show love him so much it's incredible. And at the conventions I went to, they (the people who organized the convention) took polls as to which captain the convention goers preffered. And although they agreed the man who played picard is a better actor, Shatner always won hands down as favorite captain. All four times! Lastly, killing actors off doesn't mean they are unpopular. It does some of the time, but not all the time. Are you saying Dumbledore was killed off in harry potter because he was unpopular? Or what about Spock in Star Trek 2? Sure he was brought back in the third film, but when the second film was being made, they had no intention of ever brining him back. So are you saying fans were distancing themselves from Leonard Nemoy?  I doubt it (and if i were you, I would definatley not question Nemoys status as an artist). Lastly, generations featured Kirk for the sole reason of passing on the torch of films from the original to next gen series. To keep him alive would've ruined the point of that film.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:59am
Sorry, but as I said, a true artist is able to make a series of masterpieces, like a Spielberg or a Scorcese. Those other guys you mention are more fitting of the title one-hit wonder or one-trick pony. I'm not saying they were without skill to make the movies that they did, but they lacked enough skill to make for lasting and rewarding careers.

As for Shatner, nah, sorry, but I'll take Chris Pike's Kirk over Shatner's anyday. Shatner always played Kirk as a wooden dummy. Pike actually made Kirk come across as a human being with actual emotions. I'm so glad that as time has gone by, "Star Trek" has kept trying to distance itself from the stain of Shatner's bad acting, even to the point of killing his version of Kirk off in "Generations" and not including Shatner in the latest reboot of the series.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 8:25pm
I'm not putting the filmakers i mentioned on as high levels as speilberg and scorcese, but art is art. Even if they only make one artistic film, it took an artist to make it nonetheless. They arent great artists, but artists anyways, whose certain films proved a mastery of the filmaking craft that only an artist could acheive. As for Shatner, I feel certain he is an artist because Kirk is such a beloved character in not only pop culture but sci fi history. To be loved that much in a demanding genre like sci fi must have taken great skill and craftsmenship. If your a fan, perhaps you know what im getting at. He isnt on a level of Nicholson, Dean, Bogey, and the like. Those are great artists. Shatner isnt a great artist like them, thats for sure, but he is an artist. It takes great artistry to create a captain so beloved by many critics as well as fans.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 5:54pm
Sorry, but Shatner has done nothing to be declared an "artist". No one seeks him out for acting advice, just an autograph. You can yell "Captain Kirk" all you want, but that's not art, that's being a ham. I give Gene Roddenberry more credit for "Star Trek" than Shatner. Gene actually created the series, it's concepts and it's messages, but once you look past all that, you'll see the overall acting was either hammy or melodramatic.

And the difference between the people you listed and guys like Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg and the like, is that because they made ONE masterpiece, they will be remembered only for that ONE masterpiece. True artists make more than one masterpiece and are remembered for their entire body of work, not for just making one good movie and then disappearing from the entertainment business or making crap for the rest of their career.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 10:48pm

See, this is were i disagree. Many wonderful and vital films in film history were made by directors with otherwise so-so films, but we still call them artists. Donnie Darko is a good example (Richard Kellys other film, the box, was ok, but southland tales sucked). It very intelligent and thought provoking, and artistry is definatley there, hence the word artist. Charles Laughtons only film, Night of the Hunter, is regarded as a masterpeice, and Laughton an artist as well. Boyz in the Hood from John Singelton, is a milestone of African American cinema, and Singelton is respected by many in the film community, even though his other films have recieved average reviews. Michael Cimino, who made one of the greatest anti war films, the deer hunter, made crap the rest of his life, but even he is still sought after for advice on good moviemaking. The examples go on and on. The point im making is that if you make one beautiful, brilliant peice of art, wether it be your only work ever made, or your other work is mediocre in comparison, you still deserve the title of artist for giving us an experience beyond mere entertainment that we wont soon forget. Though i think a debate about that would take up 500 billion pages lol

FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 8:36pm
Sorry, ramonssun, but your comments prove otherwise that you're still looking at the likes of Stallone and Shatner through rose tinted glasses. Sure, they have given the public iconic pop culture moments, but this doesn't make them "artists". When you are going to be remembered for only one role rather than your entire body of work, you're not an artist, you're an entertainer. Sure, there have been truly talented actors who are only remembered by one role, through no fault of their own, but a true artist has range that goes past the roles that they are most famous for. Yes, Stallone and Shatner have had alot of work since their career making roles, but to this day, they still have that wink at the camera moment as if to say "Hey, it's me, your hero, Rocky or Captain Kirk", because they know for a fact that if it weren't for these roles, no one would pay to see them because their acting is nothing to get all that excited about.

Actors need to be down-played, not all of them are "artists". A select few are, but the rest are just people who are paid to play make believe for our amusement, and Stallone and Shatner are the latter. I'm not downplaying their impact on pop culture, but I'm willing to bet a million dollar that if you went to Hollywood and asked 600 random people on the streets if those two will be remembered as "artists", you will be greeted by laughter.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 12:01pm
The first Rocky is definitely something with the power to change your life, and people who admit they were changed by that film are very wise people indeed. Even First Blood is admired by some Viet Nam vets for showing that many people who returned from that war were scorned and tossed aside.  

FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 11:29pm

With all due respect, if I refect upon the person I have become and the course my life has taken, I can think of a lot of people that were major influences. I can't think of a single movie. Those same people probably shaped my tastes in movies and literature. I don't think that those people were brought into or kept in my life as the result of any particular movies. Anyone who came to me and told me that the course of their lives had been significantly shaped by the characters Sly Stallone has brought to the screen probably isn't someone I'd want to spend a lot of time around.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>